Anybody Buy A "Tornado" For Their Car?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Anybody Buy A \"Tornado\" For Their Car?

I keep seeing late night infomercials for this product. It looks very simple: just some sheet metal that you put in your air cleaner that is supposed to create a "vortex" that allows the engine to breath more air, thus create more power. The swirling of the air is also supposed to help the fuel-air mixture combust more completely, supposed resulting in increased miles per gallons.

I don't work on cars for a living, but I do know a lot about cars. Frankly, I'm skeptical.

Does anyone actually own a "Tornado"? I've tried to do some internet research, but I've had poor results. Did it provide any boost in horsepower or miles per gallon, or was it just a waste of $$$?

Bruise

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody Buy A

I dont trust anything that's sold from an infomercial... Even if it does do what it says "The swirling of the air is also supposed to help the fuel-air mixture combust more completely, supposed resulting in increased miles per gallons" the fact that you put something restrictive in your intake will negate the benefits.

DaveT

Enlightened

The guys on NPR's "Car Talk" have called this logical-sounding hogwash.

FNG

Enlightened

A better investment is a K&N filter.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tornado works as well as the deer whistles you mount on your front bumper to "scare" deer from jumping in front of your vehicle. They were developed to separate people from their cash.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
smokinbasser said:
The tornado works as well as the deer whistles you mount on your front bumper to "scare" deer from jumping in front of your vehicle. They were developed to separate people from their cash.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought those deer whistles are suppose to create this high pitch noise that keeps the deer concentrating on the sound so that they won't jump in your way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Kentucky state police ran some tests using them and the amount of police/deer accidents didn't vary from the non whistle equipped cars.The deer apparently aren't affected by them one way or the other.But slicktalking willie on infotelesales has documented proof of their effiency and has them today only for 19.99 for two but today only for just 1.99 more we will send you two more for your second car, shipping and handling just 19.90 any place in the tristate area.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Next weeks sales is problably the one where they want you try them for free, so for only $34.00, to help with shipping, and handling, you can have your FREE set of deer whistles.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Hey, those deer whistles work great! My wife bought me a pair after my brother hit 2 deer in one week and I haven't hit one deer since! It's been 3 years and they're still working fine. Of course, they aren't going to wear out or get broken since they're still in the package in a closet somewhere.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If those Tornado things really worked, the manufacturer would have installed them. Anything that boosts power and gas mileage in a cost effective manner is something they will put in. They already tune intake manifolds to varying degrees.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

deer are so bad here.almost kinda like locust.they run out in front of cares on i85 where the speed limet is 70 scarey stuff.

Avix

Newly Enlightened

hmmm, local tests show up to 70% effectivness over 35 MPH, (and we are the Moose Impact Capital of North America), and $30.00? I bought my last pair of deer whistles for $3.99, (they look cool on the front of my car too). can't hurt, didn't cost me much, and the Abecrombies (the Local Deer Family) do tend to spend more time on the side of the road looking at me than danceing out in front of me since I put them on.

TOB9595

Enlightened

hmmmm, have to do more lookin at the deer whistles.
Some folk here swear by them.

Yes there is country in NJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
sunrise001.jpg

From 02/20/04 near where I work.

Tom

gadgetnut

Enlightened

Deer whistles work great! This set called the deer right to the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
deer.jpg

redtrd

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anybody Buy A \"Tornado\" For Their Car?

I bought a tornado back in the 1990s. I didn't notice any improvement in performance. I returned it. I had not seen it in a while and now they are advertising it again. I frequently visit several car forums and have heard no positive remarks about the tornado. You are better off getting a high flow air filter or intake system for your vehicle.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened

i have a friend who bought the tornado for his pontiac sunfire and he did not notice any improvement.

he later got the k&n filter and saw improvement
i now have a k&n filter for my car and i"m happy with it

JackBlades

Enlightened

If you're a blue-haired old lady getting paid money to say it gave your car more power you might consider it beneficial.....otherwise it's a finely crafted piece of junk.

Latest posts