Aux Lowbeams for Peterbilt

Sadden

Enlightened
So i did the H11-H9 conversion on my Peterbilt, while it was an upgrade, it didnt wow me.. I took some time and read the instructions for our optical headlamp aligner, and spent the time to get everything aimed to the best of my ability. However modifying the H9 is a bit of a pain, and will become a monthly chore given the bulb life.

The other problem I have is that the lows really lack hotspot intensity, very poor performance in that department (at least subjectively). I havent looked into the OEM wiring yet, however i am starting to suspect it is poor. I dont want to go to a relay harness, but I might take a look and see how hard it would be to swap out the oem cables between the relay and the bulbs to something a little heavier gauge. After I take the time to properly measure voltage drop.

So now I would like to explore auxiliary lowbeam options. That way i can put a midgrade H11 in the existing lowbeam. So heres my must haves

-No LEDs, icing is too much of a problem up here, also CRI is too low given our inclement weather...
-Easy to mount on pre-existing bumper tabs
-Open to BI output, but not interested in dual filament bulbs
-Must readily accept high output bulbs , 9012, 9011, h9, d2s etc

Also what would a quality midgrade H11 choice be? I dont want to drop back down to LongLife bulbs, but dont want to be replacing these every month either, something more middle of the road would be ideal.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Before you go too far in that direction: How many miles/hours/years have you logged on your headlamp assemblies? It's not just lens condition you have to be aware of; the reflectors inside those low beam projectors run very hot even with H11 bulbs, and they tend to get baked to uselessness, with the end result being that you have a beam pattern with a cutoff, but without much light in it and with no hot spot to speak of. Your lighting dollar might be better spent on a set of new (genuine, not aftermarket) headlamp assemblies.

Once you've made completely certain that your main headlamps are shipshape, then aux lows to address a lack of hot spot/distance reach are easy (if not very intuitive): a pair of these with the silly louvers removed and the fog-type beam unit replaced with these, or, better for performance but potentially less durable, these lamps with the cheesy lens-reflector replaced with these.

Sadden

Enlightened
The truck is barely over 6 months old, the OEM lenses look brand new, I dont wipe them off, I only wash them (nightly) and wax them every other week. If the Projectors themselves are failing in that short of time then Peterbilt has a serious warranty issue on their hands.

I dont understand why these units were not offered with a D2S Projectors with H9 or 9011 based highbeams, fully rigged up this truck cost 600k and yet it has very poor lowbeam performance.

Curious about your recommendation Virgil, why a sealed beam over a replaceable bulb unit like one of Hellas offerings?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
OK, scratch off that "baked headlamps" idea, if they're brand new!

They weren't offered with D2S projectors because Peterbilt didn't decide to offer that as an option. It would have been very easy and inexpensive for them to have done so.

They weren't offered with an H9 or 9011 projector because those light sources have unacceptably short life for the low beam function.

Sealed beam: Because you said what you're lacking is distance reach/hot spot, and that's what you get with those sealed beams. If you put in one of the Hella modular low beams, what you'll mostly get is spread and not much hot spot.