Spoiler Review: Olight H1 Nova Headlamp

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I'll start with a conclusion to justify the spoiler:
...In the year 2016, if you want to get an Olight Headlamp, get the Olight H1 Nova Neutral White, and forget the Cool White version ever existed.
There you have it... you can skip the rest of the text and move on...

Not convinced? Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros
- Lightweight
- Short
- Can use rechargeable RCR123
- 500 lumens Turbo mode
- Neutral White option
- Clip
- Tailcap/Physical lockout
- Magnetic base/tailcap
- Nice pouch
- It remembers last used mode (except Turbo)

Cons
- Cool White option
- Electronic lockout
- Turbo mode is hot
- No lanyard hole

Take a look at the following beamshot:
vs2P9u.jpg

It is what it is... regardless of CRI, the neutral white is simply... better! (Yes, I'm bias when comes to using artificial light outdoor and urban settings)

other modes comparisons:
oCoMOw.jpg

PsKsBb.jpg

compare the above with Fenix HL50...
9DCwso.jpg

hFf54a.jpg

PHEu7S.jpg

a pic to compare H1 Nova to Fenix HL50
34aQCH.jpg

and a feature comparison table..
CJpebD.jpg

I really wish H1 Nova has a similar conversion/adapter to use AA size battery tho... :ironic:

a beamshot of SMini Turbo mode (BeadBlaster Ti) to compare to...
cuP91D.jpg

hmmm... not much to compare to...

and a group shot with SMini and S1...
8JFvIJ.jpg

still reading? ok, here are some boring stuffs to roll your time over...

It comes in a box... (duh! Olight send me both Cool White and Neutral White)
UbKC6N.jpg

LUfrfx.jpg

qqqW6H.jpg

and further "protected" by a pouch...
7m5AeE.jpg

eXul6z.jpg

It's a nice pouch, and a good one to keep H1 Nova in it together with a couple of spare batteries and/or the new Olight UC cable if you are on rechargeable RCR123.

H1 Nova User Manual
9if75l.jpg

remember to remove the battery insulator before use... yes, a CR123A is included in the light.
gBa6FI.jpg

some close-up shots...
o0yMzH.jpg

Xyo9aF.jpg

7beb9l.jpg

1CIwUK.jpg

Yj0soy.jpg

and let's finish it with a boring tint comparison...
rdHeVp.jpg

oh, almost forgot to give you a tip... when you "double-click" to go into Turbo mode, you can "double-click" again to go back to whichever mode you were before Turbo mode, and if you are anyway like me, you will spend a good deal of time putting the light in low mode and double-clicking watching the light ramping up and ramping down... all in the name of stress testing the electronic switch.

again, it's the year 2016, if you ever wanted to get an Olight-branded headlamp, it is the H1 Nova Neutral White that you want, it is the H1 Nova Neutral White that you need, it is the H1 Nova Neutral White that you always desired... tell yourself there are no other Olight headlamps... there is one and the only Olight H1 Nova Neutral White... now... and now... you are feeling very tired... your eyes can hardly stayed open... ZZZZzzzzz :sleepy:

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Just concluded a low-mode (2-lumen) runtime test with the Cool White version using a fresh Olight CR123A Primary battery:

Starting Voltage: 3.24V
Ending Voltage: 2.17V
Runtime: ~8.9 days

Manufacturer claims 15 days... :shakehead

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
testing a small headband mod for quick attach and detach...

the original headband
q4lL5d.jpg

cut away the loop and glue a small neodymium magnet
Od02p7.jpg

H1 Nova clip just snapped on to the magnet with the clip on...
IFopor.jpg

mod works for S Mini too...
Iuqp4q.jpg

and easy 360° rotation for S Mini...

not suitable for Copper or heavier lights, not for running nor hiking... it's pretty secured for what I intended -- light close up task. :D

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

The H1 Nova weight without battery is basically equal to the Zebralight H32w *with* battery. I was interested in the H1 but Imo and for my uses, the Zebralight H32 weight is already at the limit of taxing the single wrap headband, without using a higher tension than I'd want. An option for a top band would be great.

P.S. My bad, looks like the listed weight at Olight may be unclear as to what exactly was being weighed. In which case the H1 is quite light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?420984-*new*-Olight-H1-Nova&p=5018035&viewfull=1#post5018035

Last edited:

dts71

Newly Enlightened
On my kitchen scale with 2 g resolution I get 68g including the headband and a CR123.
It's in the same ballpark as the SC32W @ 74g with head band and battery.

I'm really impressed by this headlamp so far :clap:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
A rechargeable version of H1 Nova ==> H1R Nova is coming... :candle:

a few known details (may changed when they release the light):
- 600 lumens
- includes 1 x 650mAh RCR123 battery
- both CW and NW available

although they boost the max output by a hundred more lumens, the runtime however, suffers a dip due to the included 650mAh RCR123.
I'll be interested to see how the 2 lumens runtime ends, whether it will have in-light low voltage cut-off or it will depends on the battery over-discharge protection circuitry to do the tricks (like some of the S-series models) :popcorn:

Last edited:
How does the H1 Nova do for reading and up close tasks (within 5 feet?) Is there any discernible distracting hot spot to make one wish they were using an absolute pure flood Zebralight H602/H603 instead?

About to buy one of these...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
How does the H1 Nova do for reading and up close tasks (within 5 feet?)
Pretty good.

Is there any discernible distracting hot spot to make one wish they were using an absolute pure flood Zebralight H602/H603 instead?
No "discernible distracting hot spot". But they are more like the H600F series of Zebralight. The ZL H602/H603 has a wider beam spread/angle.

So, if you want the absolute floodiest headlamp, the ZL H603x (x = recommended warmer CCT or High CRI) is the model to go. :grin2:

rebcabin

Newly Enlightened
Question : the H1 (not H1R) comes with a non-rechargeable 3.0V CR123A battery. Almost all the rechargeables on the market are 3.7V RCR123A. Will the H1 (non-R) work with a 3.7V RCR123A rechargeable, or should I scrounge around for a 3.0V RCR123A rechargeable? (I've googled and asked around quite a bit and have not found a usable clue toward an answer).

I'll start with a conclusion to justify the spoiler:
...In the year 2016, if you want to get an Olight Headlamp, get the Olight H1 Nova Neutral White, and forget the Cool White version ever existed.
There you have it... you can skip the rest of the text and move on...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Question : the H1 (not H1R) comes with a non-rechargeable 3.0V CR123A battery. Almost all the rechargeables on the market are 3.7V RCR123A. Will the H1 (non-R) work with a 3.7V RCR123A rechargeable, or should I scrounge around for a 3.0V RCR123A rechargeable? (I've googled and asked around quite a bit and have not found a usable clue toward an answer).
yes Sir. The H1 can use 3.6V/3.7V RCR123A battery. However, having to say that, you should avoid Olight's own green-labelled RCR123A (model ORB-163P06) as some of us have issue with that particular cell reaching Turbo-mode -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, same goes for old/aged cells. You should get a RCR123A that can sustain 2A draw if possible to comfortably enjoy the Turbo mode on H1, e.g. Fenix ARB-L16-700, KeepPower P1634C (Black), or any branded IMR 16340 cells. ;)

rebcabin

Newly Enlightened
yes Sir. The H1 can use 3.6V/3.7V RCR123A battery. However, having to say that, you should avoid Olight's own green-labelled RCR123A (model ORB-163P06) as some of us have issue with that particular cell reaching Turbo-mode -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, same goes for old/aged cells. You should get a RCR123A that can sustain 2A draw if possible to comfortably enjoy the Turbo mode on H1, e.g. Fenix ARB-L16-700, KeepPower P1634C (Black), or any branded IMR 16340 cells. ;)

Wow. Thank you! What a great answer.

gritzo

Newly Enlightened

Too bad You didn't post this earlier. I just received my olight green rechargeable to use with my H1,and in Turbo mode it just shuts down . I measured voltage at 3.98 volts so it is definitely the protection circuit being tripped.That sucks! Very disappointed ..

I still have the original non rechargeable that came with the kit. I measured 2.89 volts and it still goes into Turbo mode without shutting down.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Too bad You didn't post this earlier. I just received my olight green rechargeable to use with my H1,and in Turbo mode it just shuts down . I measured voltage at 3.98 volts so it is definitely the protection circuit being tripped.That sucks! Very disappointed ..
I still have the original non rechargeable that came with the kit. I measured 2.89 volts and it still goes into Turbo mode without shutting down.

sorry to hear that.
my issue with the green-labelled RCR123A (model ORB-163P06):
wmjQrGg.jpg

started when I had the opportunity to test and review the Olight S1R back in September last year. I've also made a request to Olight if they can do something about it (using a better cell or protection circuit) as consumer like myself tends to think that since the battery is from Olight, it should work with their own lights instead of sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :shrug:.

Last edited:

Latest posts