Fenix LD12 - 2017 Edition Now Available

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
BACK IN PRODUCTION--NEW AND IMPROVED
[URLdf="http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld12-led-flashlight-2017-edt/"]FENIX LD12 FLASHLIGHT[/URLdf]

Introducing the newest light from Fenix; the Fenix LD12 2017 Edition! This little guy is no joking matter with its powerful 320 lumen output in just over 4 inches of material. The redesigned Fenix LD12 is now compatible with 14500 rechargeable Li-ion batteries. It's fitted with a CREE XP-G2 R5 neutral white LED for better color rendering. With four brightness levels plus strobe mode, and convenient dual switch, the LD12 is definitely the must-have flashlight for everyday carry enthusiasts.

NOTICE:
:grin2: Neutral LED
:grin2: Black Pocket Clip

ORDER NOW

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Yes, indeed!! We were glad to see that neutral tint also!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get our Black Friday specials. Thanks

This light has went to the top of my Black Friday list, happy to see a NW light from Fenix.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new LD12 looks good. I hope the next upgrade of the LD22 will get the crenulation back instead of that flashy stainless steel ring!

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
The strobe mode control logic is a complete failure.
1) self defense requires success using "gross motor skills" only. Attempting to do a 0.5 sec click is IMPOSSIBLE to rely on.
2) entering the mode from a side-switch is wrong. Any flashlight held that way is going to blind YOU when you raise your hands into a defensive "boxing" posture. Any use of a flashlight where self-defense is a possibility requires holding the light in a "monkey grip" using a tail switch to control it.

However, the strobe mode WILL be entered accidentally and be an annoyance.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new LD12 looks good. I hope the next upgrade of the LD22 will get the crenulation back instead of that flashy stainless steel ring!

The stainless steel ring makes the bezel much stronger offering better protection for the lens when dropped. And, it is more resistant to dings then aluminum and doesn't get chips because it is not anodized. I wouldn't mind if the stainless steel bezel was crenelated but, going back to aluminum would be a huge downgrade.

Nice to see some more neutral white options from Fenix. Now we just need more lights with thermal management instead of timed step downs and moonlight modes.

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
1) self defense requires success using "gross motor skills" only. Attempting to do a 0.5 sec click is IMPOSSIBLE to rely on.
2) entering the mode from a side-switch is wrong. Any flashlight held that way is going to blind YOU when you raise your hands into a defensive "boxing" posture. Any use of a flashlight where self-defense is a possibility requires holding the light in a "monkey grip" using a tail switch to control it.

..this an single AA flashlight that's being advertised by Fenix as an EDC. I don't think using strobe mode as self-defense was Fenix's intent here. I think the priority was to offer a nice little NW AA light for EDC.... usefully bright with decent throw that's 14500 compatible. That's just my take.

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Sent to Fenix engineers.

The stainless steel ring makes the bezel much stronger offering better protection for the lens when dropped. And, it is more resistant to dings then aluminum and doesn't get chips because it is not anodized. I wouldn't mind if the stainless steel bezel was crenelated but, going back to aluminum would be a huge downgrade.

Nice to see some more neutral white options from Fenix. Now we just need more lights with thermal management instead of timed step downs and moonlight modes.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Sent to Fenix engineers.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
The Fenix engineers have responded to your suggestions/comments as follows:

As we know, most of Fenix flashlights enter the strobe mode when pressing and holding the mode switch for about 0.5 seconds, like PD32 2016 and TK15UE…

The LD12 2017 is NOT the first light to enter the strobe after the pressing and holding of 0.5s. Moreover, Fenix designs and releases lighting products for users all over the world, some of them will probably in urgent need of the strobe mode when they use the lights but some are not. Therefore, we have to do a further review and evaluation on this based on our R&D and marketing research and design it according to our preliminary investigation and the specific R&D schedule, also the target market.

We appreciate the customer comment and would like to hear more from you guys if you have any ideas or suggestion. We will take them into consideration but we will also make the final decision as mentioned above.

Hope the customer can understand this as well. Thank you guys for your kindly attention and support!

BTW, as for the two questions as the customer referred to, here we also would like to know his/her detailed idea or suggestion:

1) How many seconds does he/she think that it would be fine to enter to the strobe mode?

2) If he/she thinks that to enter the strobe mode with the tail switch is better instead of the side switch, what's his/her specific suggestion? And how can it handle any accidental entering to strobe?

If the customer would like to share more ideas with us, we would be open to have a further discussion and consideration in the future product R&D. Thanks!

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
LD12 Shipping Next Week

Updated tracking--we expect the LD12 (2017) in our warehouse Tuesday, Nov. 29. Have yours ordered? Black Friday weekend is the time to order from Fenix Store!

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Re: LD12 Shipping Next Week

>BTW, as for the two questions as the customer referred to, here we also would like to know his/her detailed idea or suggestion:

1) How many seconds does he/she think that it would be fine to enter to the strobe mode?

2) If he/she thinks that to enter the strobe mode with the tail switch is better instead of the side switch, what's his/her specific suggestion? And how can it handle any accidental entering to strobe?
>

Strobe needs to happen quickly, and without mental work. Perhaps with three or more FAST presses on the button. And it needs to come on even if the button remains depressed after the last press. This might be different from the logic of a "click" -- where the button goes down then up to count as a logic cycle. Because someone who is frightened might simply "mash down" the button after clicking it frantically several times.

The Mag Light "tac lite" works this way. Once strobe is activated, it remains on even if the user presses and holds or keeps pressing repeatedly.

dbld49

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the LD12 and 14500 batteries for myself and an LD22 for my brother as a Christmas gift yesterday. Really looking forward to using the new LD12 with a neutral emitter. I already own the 215 and 300 lumen versions of the LD22. But, it's got me thinking. I'd like to see a 14500 version of the LD22, maybe an ultimate edition like the E25, but in the form and function of the LD22.

Weekend Farmer

Newly Enlightened
I received my 2017 LD12 yesterday. I got it to replace the previous model LD12, which I lost. Sorry, no direct comparison between the old and new. I will say that this new light is an improvement over the old one. Even with just an eneloop battery, I'm able to see our buildings and equipment in the back field with greater clarity than before. I can't wait to get my hands on a 14500.

As to the strobe function complained about above, I really don't want a strobe in fight-or-flight situation as it tends to disorient everyone involved, including myself. I would only use strobe to get someone's attention. So having the side switch activate it works just fine fore me. I do agree with the UI suggested above. 5.11 AA flashlights use a single press to turn on at max brightness, a quick double press for low, and a quick triple press for strobe. This would be the best UI IMHO.

I like the new metal side switch as it seems easier for my fingers to find without me looking at the light.

The rest of the light appears to be of the high build quality I've come to expect from Fenix. A great light and a worthwhile upgrade.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Please note:
LD122017-13-E__48471.1479310855.1280.1280.jpg

To reach the maximum 320 Lumens, you must use a ARB-L14-800 3.6V 14500 battery. Fenix has released the USB rechargeable ARB-L14-1600U 14500 battery which is only 1.5V. That battery will not reach the maximum 320 lumens on the LD12.

Latest posts