Light for police duty use

NJ870

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I haven't been up to date with the new and best lights out for quite a while and I'm starting a career as a police officer next week. I need a light for my duty belt and the light they provided me with doesn't meet what I'm looking for. If you guys could help me with some suggestions I would appreciate it.

With that said, I'd probably prefer a single 18650 light as I have a bunch of those batteries laying around. I was looking at the Klarus XT11GT or XT12GT, Nitecore TM03, Fenix TK20R and others. I would love any other suggestions, pros and cons of the different suggestions, especially from any other LEOs. Thanks in advance.

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
I've used a Malkoff Hound dog for 3 or 4 years now with no complaints. I think he makes one that is a single 18650 now to meet your requirements. The Surefire Fury is a winner also, but without mods it doesn't meet your battery requirements. If you work night shift, have two lights on your belt/pockets.

mcorp

Enlightened
I'd recommend a Malkoff as well. Or an Elzetta too.

Malkoff has 2 models that is made specifically to run on a single 18650. The M61HOT MD2, Malkoff Hounddog 18650 (Cool) and Malkoff Hounddog 18650 (Neutral).
Personally I prefer the M61HOT (due to its slimmer profile) but the Hounddog 18650 is better if you need more throw, plus you get a choice of Cool or Neutral tint.
Both will run on 2 CR123a batteries as well, if need be.

Elzetta has 2 models, a custom bored Bravo and the newer Bones model. I have no experience with regards to these 2 models but have heard countless reports and reviews of how reliable they have been.

For the CPF threads on the 2 brands of lights..
Malkoff - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336391-The-Official-Malkoff-Junkie-thread-Part-2
Elzetta - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326895-Elzetta-The-industry-s-best-kept-secret

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I haven't been up to date with the new and best lights out for quite a while and I'm starting a career as a police officer next week. I need a light for my duty belt and the light they provided me with doesn't meet what I'm looking for. If you guys could help me with some suggestions I would appreciate it.

With that said, I'd probably prefer a single 18650 light as I have a bunch of those batteries laying around. I was looking at the Klarus XT11GT or XT12GT, Nitecore TM03, Fenix TK20R and others. I would love any other suggestions, pros and cons of the different suggestions, especially from any other LEOs. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't recommend any of the brands u have mentioned and I have all those brands. My newly acquired xt11gt no longer works, and I refuse to send it back to china for warranty, although I must admit when it was working properly it was freakin awesome. Get yourself a malkoff hound dog or md2HOT

XCORPION

Newly Enlightened
I tested the Klarus XT11GT and the NiteCore MH27 UV. I'm a Officer too and was looking for a good flashlight.

The Klarus XT11GT got the advantages of
+ instant Strobe: by an extra button. So you are able to use it by one hand.
The MH27 UV are more complicated with that. You have to press two buttons at the same time and it's nearly impossible by one hand (but it works).
+ the strobe is more effective because the 2000 lumen
+ big 3100 mAh battery
+ battery capacity is shown by an led on the side button (green 100-70%, orange 69-30%, red all less 30%)
+ much cheaper with included battery

The 2000 lumen of the XT11GT are not a big difference to the 1000 lumen of the MH27 UV. The XT11GT are very good for indoor action because the spot is that bright it light up a big area or an entire room.

But outside and overall the XT11GT looses the competition with the MH27 UV, because the beam of the XT11GT is too wide and I don't think it reaches the 300m beam distance for real.
The MH27 UV got an insane throw over 400m. Indoors the spot is nearly as bright as the one of the XT11GT, but got half the size.
The advantages of the MH27 UV are
+the 5 years warranty, +impressive throw
+ integrated UV-LED is for the police a really nice tool to test money and ID-Cards
+blue and red LEDs are a nice feature if you want to give some signals or something like that

I send the XT11GT back and now use the MH27 UV. I thought the 1000 lumen more of the Klarus would make a bigger difference.
But it was hard to decide because the Klarus got a better handling, bigger battery and the strobe is bad as hell!

Sorry for my bad english.

Genius1

Newly Enlightened
I favorite OrcaTorch T30, the excellent waterproof performance suprised me as a USB charging light.
Mine T30 use l2 led, considering buyi V3 version now.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61HOT MD2, with optional High/Low ring, or the Surefire P1R Peacekeeper.

The High/Low ring gives you the Low mode for checking I.D.'s etc.

The advantage of the Malkoff over the Surefire is that if you want momentary flash in a tactical situation the Malkoff will stay on High (with the head tight, loosen the head for low) whereas the Surefire will change between high and Low modes each time you flash it.

I prefer the Malkoff M91T MD3 for duty use as it's slightly longer, so you can tuck it under your arm when checking I.D.'s etc, but not too long for belt carry, it's 20% brighter (than the M61HOT) and has more throw. It runs on either 2 x 18500 batteries or 3 x CR123's. I ran mine of 1 hour 23 minutes on High on two freshly charged batteries (KeepPower 1700mAh's).

Don't forget that Malkoff offer an LEO discount on your purchases, contact them for details.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Elzetta Bones is a basic on/off with ability to momentary. 675 genuine lumens.
It has a body that allows the 18650 cell or if need be a pair of primaries.
Good combo beam of throw, big ole spot and spill.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff md2 for the belt. M61 is very bright and is overall useful. One of the mentioned hound dogs for your cruiser or whatever.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget your backup light, I have a Manker T01 a really tiny light, runs on AA / 14500, it's a thrower too.

Go check out dazed1 and see if he can swing you a discount, either that or check out the Manker U11 if you would like (a) 18650 cells, and (b) the option of charging it via the micro USB port while in the vehicle

cp2315

Enlightened
You can google pflexpro. He makes quality lights at a very reasonable price. Austin PD (?) did review and uses his lights.

NJ870

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys! Also I've decided that I'm no longer married to the 18650 requirement so anything that would fit on a patrol belt will work. Also I know everyone is crazy about malkoff products. I'm not saying anything at all to knock them as I've never owned one but why are their products so heavily favored on this forum when other companies are putting out similar products that at least on paper, are better?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own a Malkoff but I have read a lot about it and been to Malkoff's site as well, the quality of the workmanship and the fact that they are willing to stand behind their products speaks volumes about their products. Just my 2cents worth.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the responses guys! Also I've decided that I'm no longer married to the 18650 requirement so anything that would fit on a patrol belt will work. Also I know everyone is crazy about malkoff products. I'm not saying anything at all to knock them as I've never owned one but why are their products so heavily favored on this forum when other companies are putting out similar products that at least on paper, are better?

I was an LEO for 30 years and carried Surefire products for 20 of those years, if I was still working I would carry Malkoff because

1. The dual modes are set mechanically by the user, so the light will always come on in high (unless you choose otherwise).
2. The Malkoff range can be updated or upgraded in the future with different drop-in's etc and their parts are available individually.
3. Malkoff's use widely available Li-ion batteries and can also use CR123's as a back-up.
4. Malkoff's don't have flashing modes to scroll through etc. If your Department doesn't train with flashing modes then don't buy a light with them.
5. Malkoff's aren't designed to impress on the aesthetic front they are designed to function, reliably!
6. Malkoff's offer a lifetime warranty and have a good customer service record.
7. Malkoff offer discount to LEO's.
8. For high stress situations Malkoff's options fit in with the Keep it Simple Stupid philosophy.

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Lumintop td16 xp-l hi and all I can say is wow! Fantastic build quality and great throw, mine measured 44800cd. The strobe function on this light is the most disorienting I've come across.

I got mine for 49usd, which is a great price. I would highly recommend it!

ncgrass

Enlightened
I'd have to throw in for elzetta and surefire as well as malkoff. I dont have an md2/3 but my elzettas use malkoff dropins. Also, they probably have the best customer service of any maker bar none.

Rock solid components, rock solid company that can be utterly relied upon. CPF loves malkoff for good reasons =)

Edited for spelling reasons...

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to agree with most of the members here about Malkoff. As a fellow LEO, I have been using their drop ins and flashlights for sometime now and never had a problem (knock on wood). However, should I need to get a hold of them, they are quick to respond either via telephone or email.

I do have a few Elzettas as well, and they too are ultra reliable. However, I do love Malkoff's endless options of changing out different type of drop ins. You can get a Throw option, a high output throw, Neutral, etc....

The only thing I do wish they had is a protruding tail cap with true momentary on. Then twist the tail cap for constant on.

Hopefully this helps. Stay safe.

matt4350

Enlightened
Just wondering what the light they provided you with is?

Anyway, the way I see it, the more "features" a light has, the more can go wrong with it. Elzetta, Malkoff and Surefire are the common theme with good reason. These lights are made with a specific purpose in mind (your/my needs), as opposed to trying to cater to a broad range of consumers as something that's ideal for hunting/fishing/tactical/caving/orienteering/dog walking etc. As said above, if you don't train with strobe, then don't get it. And I'd look for something that has plenty of spill to go along with whatever range it has, 'cos I can guarantee you'll be dealing with groups of people at a relatively close range, and you really want to keep an eye on all of them. You'll be able to get that with these three brands.

Good luck and stay safe!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I would have to agree with most of the members here about Malkoff. As a fellow LEO, I have been using their drop ins and flashlights for sometime now and never had a problem (knock on wood). However, should I need to get a hold of them, they are quick to respond either via telephone or email.

I do have a few Elzettas as well, and they too are ultra reliable. However, I do love Malkoff's endless options of changing out different type of drop ins. You can get a Throw option, a high output throw, Neutral, etc....

The only thing I do wish they had is a protruding tail cap with true momentary on. Then twist the tail cap for constant on.

Hopefully this helps. Stay safe.

Something overlooked by many is the use of lockout tail caps as twistys.
You get the option of clicking it to stay on, but slight twists allow it to turn on/off that way too.

Elzetta Bones and 1 speed Alphas allow that option. Can't speak for the Bravo or Charlie.
Same with lights by Streamlight that cut conductivity when twisting a bit, SureFires with lockouts, and lots of others.
It requires a bit more thought process than the twisty for momentary for quick tactical on/offs, but for twisting to on or off that option is there.

For true 1 hand tactical the twisty is definitely better. But it seems those are going the way of the incan bulb. So Elzetta uses an extra quiet switch.

That to this user is something others could do better. The Pentagons for example. Their "molly" light was so quiet you had to 'feel' it engage. Now as tiny as the switch was it could become an issue in a hurry, but silence is golden in the case of tactical lights.

Last edited: