Looking for high lumen >3000 floody flashlight

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
Basically I'm just looking for another light to add to my collection, already got an 2000 lumen EDC coming in the mail, but I also want a flooder with an extreme amount of brightness, to impress my friends to let me turn night into day. Got plenty of ideas, just want your guys/gals opinions.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

X I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in Sydney, Australia.
X This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

X Up to $300.

3) Format:

X I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

X I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

X LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
X HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

6) Manufacturer:

X I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
X I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
X I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

X I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

X I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

X I want search and rescue type illumination (3000+ lumens).

X SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

X Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
X Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

X 30-50 meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime:
Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

X 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

X Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

X I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

X I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

X Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
X Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
X Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

X IPX4 (Splash resistant)
X IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
X In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
X Other: Camping

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

X Pocket/belt clip
X Holster

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of clarification - you indicated a turbo mode that steps down is ok, but you want effectively full output for 90-120 minutes. It sounds to me then like the Olight R50 Pro and Acebeam EC50 are out then? You're looking for a true monster of a light.

The Convoy L6 could be an option, but it's a thrower, not a flood.

Out of curiosity, what were the ideas you had so far?

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking mostly of Chinese lights like sunbeam or something like a thrunite tn36, would like something a little brighter, 3000lm would do but 7000lm would be best

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
Just had a look in the subsection and the tn36vn catches my eye think I might get it, how do I go about ordering one, I'm guessing I just have to email him?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry just worked it out, went to skylumen, ordered the tn36utvn, monster 13,000 lm, thanks for the help

From a few of his videos that I've watched, I suspect welding gloves would be a good accessory purchase.

13000 lumens! :faint:

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
Just got an email from Sky Lumen and they told me about the x7vn advising that it is a little brighter 2000lm. BTW excellent customer service. So I went with that instead. Only $70 more.

Lachiepower0402

Newly Enlightened
Which batteries would be recommended for the x7vn, unprotected or protected and how much amperage would be drawn from each battery approximently? Currently I use protected Panasonic NCR18650GA batteries

ven

Flashaholic
Unprotected , ideally samsung 30Q or LG HG2 would do well.

The GA should cope short term, but once the voltage drops a little they will more than likely sag and not hold the 15k output after a little use.

ven

Flashaholic
The above mentioned unprotected cells are only 3000mah right? How much less run time do you get?

Only!!!:faint: max is 3500mah(or the 3600mah that did not quite measure 3600mah)at the present and 15a rated is not to be sniffed at. Real world uses you wont be able to tell unless you drain your cells right down which is not recommended anyway. Your never going to sustain 15,000lm, maybe a minute due to heat anyway. So lower down, maybe 2000-3000lm for a more sustainable output may get an hour or so run time at the 3000lm level. Even though 3000mah, they will be able to feed the light in higher modes when the 3500mah cells wont, due to voltage sag and being able to handle more load.

Samsungs or LG's will see you right:)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You're welcome,

Now that ven has taken an interest in your thread, I'll gladly hand your care over to the maestro!

Good luck with it, and have fun! :)

With your original suggestion I could not add anymore, so sat back for the ride;)

Latest posts