Test/review of LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh (Brown)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]LG 18650 HG2 3000mAh (Brown)[/size]

DSC_7020.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Nominal voltage: 3.50V
  • Standard charge: 1500mA, 4.2V, 50mA
  • Max. charge voltage: 4.20V+/-0.05V
  • Max. charge current: 4000mA
  • Standard discharge: 600mA down to 2.5V
  • Fast discharge: 10000mA, 20000mA down to 2.5V
  • Max. continuous discharge: 20000mA
  • Cycle life: 300 at 10A, 200 at 20A both with 4A charge, ramaning capacity minimum 70%
  • Weight: 47.0g
  • Operating temperature: charge 0°C ~ 50°C, discharge: -20°C ~ 75°C
  • Storage temperature: 1 month: -20°C ~60°C, 3 month: -20°C ~ 45°C, 1 year: -20°C ~ 20°C

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-info.png

A high current and high capacity cell, that is rated for high current use.

DSC_7019.jpg

DSC_7021.jpg
DSC_7022.jpg

DSC_7023.jpg

DSC_7024.jpg

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Capacity.png

The discharge curves tracks perfectly.

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Temp-15.0.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Temp-20.0.png

At 20A the cell reaches 81°C, but first after discharge has terminated.

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Temp-30.0.png

At 30A I terminated due to temperature, but the cell do reach 90°C after termination.

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-CapacityTimeHours.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-CapacityTime.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Energy.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-PowerLoadTime.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-TripCurrent.png

LG%2018650%20HG2%203000mAh%20(Brown)-Charge.png

Ignore the A charge curve, there was a glitch on my equipment.

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

This is a very good high current cell and it is rated to be used at high charge/discharge rates.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries
Compare to 18650 and other batteries

Capolini

Banned
THANKS FOR THE REVIEW!!

Now I can compare to VTC6/30Q ect!

Same results as others!! The VTC6 and 30Q have less voltage sag.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I've been waiting for this one. One of my favourite cells. I honestly expected it to match or slightly beat the 30q. I was wrong. I knew there was a reason I liked Samsung cells

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I think now all the top rated batteries have been tested?

I thought it would hit closer to it's rated capacity, but that's not too important when you need this type of cell.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good. Illumination Supply actually has these cells on sale for $5.00 each. So even if you don't need high current cells, they have enough capacity to make good general purpose budget batteries that can maintain a decently high voltage. They are MUCH better than the Panasonic NCR18650PF in this regard (compare to Orbtronic 18650PD, which is actually the PF, on the HKJ comparator).

UriDarn

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, im new here so i dont understand very well this things about batterys and stuff.
But i have onde doubt i want do replace my laptop batery, the laptop battery use 6 samsung ICR18650-26H 2600 mAh (Pink)
My Doubt is can i replace that batterys for exemplo for 6 Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh (Pink) ????
If not can you guys tell me please what is the best battery can i replace.

Thanks GUYS!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Sorry guys, im new here so i dont understand very well this things about batterys and stuff.
But i have onde doubt i want do replace my laptop batery, the laptop battery use 6 samsung ICR18650-26H 2600 mAh (Pink)
My Doubt is can i replace that batterys for exemplo for 6 Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh (Pink) ????
If not can you guys tell me please what is the best battery can i replace.

Thanks GUYS!

Laptop battery packs are not just batteries, they also have a BMS (Battery management system). This BMS system keeps track of the batteries and will probably shut the pack down permanently if the batteries does strange things. I.e. you need to find information about the BMS in your battery pack and how it will handle a battery replacement.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I've been waiting for this one. One of my favourite cells. I honestly expected it to match or slightly beat the 30q. I was wrong. I knew there was a reason I liked Samsung cells

yes 30q has slightly better voltage. but the real difference is the chemistry. hg2 is a tweaked NMC and datasheet shows very good cycle life, that is, if you cycle it continuously e.g. like two full cycles daily

30q is an NCA chemistry so theoretically it has better CALENDAR LIFE. so if your application only cycles once or twice a week the 30Q is probably going to last a lot longer than HG2. tesla uses NCA on their cars

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
yes 30q has slightly better voltage. but the real difference is the chemistry. hg2 is a tweaked NMC and datasheet shows very good cycle life, that is, if you cycle it continuously e.g. like two full cycles daily

30q is an NCA chemistry so theoretically it has better CALENDAR LIFE. so if your application only cycles once or twice a week the 30Q is probably going to last a lot longer than HG2. tesla uses NCA on their cars

And my second car, after my GTR R35 is a Tesla, so I will stick with the Samsung cells because I like the GTR better... LOL :)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same results as others!! The VTC6 and 30Q have less voltage sag.

I've actually heard rumors in various places that the HG2 is at least as good as the 30Q when it comes to sag (and maybe better). Rumor has it that the HG2 often performs worse (like it did here) because most of the cells made available in loose form are not from the best performing batches. Not sure how much truth there is in this, though.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
HG2, best for vapers due to its high drain capability, but still will come in short for flashlight use compared to the LG MJ1 and Sanyo GA both @ 3500mAh albeit, lower drain capability. (10A versus 20A on the LG Choco) :)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
HG2, best for vapers due to its high drain capability, but still will come in short for flashlight use compared to the LG MJ1 and Sanyo GA both @ 3500mAh albeit, lower drain capability. (10A versus 20A on the LG Choco) :)

Then again, this difference between the current crop of high current cells and high capacity cells is quite small these days. In the case of the VTC6s, it's almost non-existant when comparing REAL capacity. But even with the HG2, the difference is only 500mAH. And for this rather small difference in capacity, you not only higher current draw but also better voltage and faster charging capability. All in all, I like the current crop of high current cells and actually prefer them to the high capacity cells (even though I'm NOT a vaper). They just work better. I can get them charged faster if I need to. And since even high capacity cells don't have enough capacity to run my light long enough without a battery change, I don't miss the extra mAH.

Capolini

Banned
Then again, this difference between the current crop of high current cells and high capacity cells is quite small these days. In the case of the VTC6s, it's almost non-existant when comparing REAL capacity. But even with the HG2, the difference is only 500mAH. And for this rather small difference in capacity, you not only higher current draw but also better voltage and faster charging capability. All in all, I like the current crop of high current cells and actually prefer them to the high capacity cells (even though I'm NOT a vaper). They just work better. I can get them charged faster if I need to. And since even high capacity cells don't have enough capacity to run my light long enough without a battery change, I don't miss the extra mAH.

I agree. I use 30Q/VTC6/LGHG2 in my single cell modded lights[Vinh] and in several of my bigger lights. I LOVE high output, so I change the batteries after 15 or 20 minutes max. Not only do they give MORE Amps, the mAh is irrelevant because I put a new battery in before that would be close to a factor.

I tested my TK75vn KT w/ 3400 Panasonic cells and 30Q'S. The run time advantage for the Panny's was minimal.iirc 3 or 4 more minutes which does not come into play for my type of use!!That is in detail below!

Since I use at least 2 lights a night for my hike w/ Capo, My primary lights[3 or 4 cell] will get used 35 minutes max and the secondary lights cover the other 30 minutes or so! The 30q's or HG2'S have plenty of juice to fulfill my Max Output Flashaholicism!:D

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
I've been very happy with these for high-intensity lamp use. I get about 2925 mAh average when discharging them at 700mA and that's only down to 2.8v. They will run turbo for long periods on my TN36 and the grip stays relatively cool (can't say that for the head).

You see a lot of the vape guys unhappy with the sag above 15A. The NMC chemistry is very tunable and the extra 500mAh capacity comes at an internal resistance cost. Still these are happy medium for lamps.

Mike

vrruumm

Newly Enlightened
I've been using them for a while, for a high drain edc light (8a max) and a mechanical mod e cigarette (20a max). They have been OK in my opinion. But....

I own 14 of em. The first two cells were from a local vape shop, and a few batches of 4 were purchased from ebay sellers (top rated sellers?!) The first two were genuine and kicked butt, the next two batches of 4 were definitely fakes (refunded$$) and the last batch of 4 I'm not so sure about. They are good fakes if they are fakes, but just sag more under 15a load than the first two did. Using a purely resistive load, I couldn't believe how much more powerful the first two hg2's were in my ecig, I had to step down to higher resistance coils in my atomizer! I've got no easy way to test ah's but all of the counterfeit batteries were pretty good for knock offs!

I like hg2's because they work great for both, dual purpose for me. Any recommended sellers for hg2's? Have all your hg2 batteries been legit? Are the vtc6's any more reliable to order genuine?

Capolini

Banned
I've been using them for a while, for a high drain edc light (8a max) and a mechanical mod e cigarette (20a max). They have been OK in my opinion. But....

I own 14 of em. The first two cells were from a local vape shop, and a few batches of 4 were purchased from ebay sellers (top rated sellers?!) The first two were genuine and kicked butt, the next two batches of 4 were definitely fakes (refunded$$) and the last batch of 4 I'm not so sure about. They are good fakes if they are fakes, but just sag more under 15a load than the first two did. Using a purely resistive load, I couldn't believe how much more powerful the first two hg2's were in my ecig, I had to step down to higher resistance coils in my atomizer! I've got no easy way to test ah's but all of the counterfeit batteries were pretty good for knock offs!

I like hg2's because they work great for both, dual purpose for me. Any recommended sellers for hg2's? Have all your hg2 batteries been legit? Are the vtc6's any more reliable to order genuine?

:welcome:

Great prices, customer service and ALL batteries tested for authenticity .................my Hometown dealer!

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...ested-20a-3000mah-flat-top-wholesale-discount

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great prices, customer service and ALL batteries tested for authenticity .................my Hometown dealer!
https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...ested-20a-3000mah-flat-top-wholesale-discount

It is impractical for any dealer to ensure that "ALL batteries tested for authenticity". You can find reports here and elsewhere where trusted dealers and rewrappers were fooled by fakes.

To guard against fakes the best you can do is to avoid sketchy sources and do your own tests.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ Please read more carefully - no one claimed that any particular dealer was sketchy.