Daylight running light question

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 (with a pair of cool and righteous J.W.Speaker TS4000's, but I digress......). In my advanced years, I am beginning to like the idea of having daylight running lights for safety reasons. Mostly right at sun up or sundown, when the sun is real low, DRL's seem to help identify a vehicle by someone driving towards the sun. This model did not come from the factory with DRL's.

Anyway, does anyone know how hard it would be to install DRL's on my particular pickup? My brother, how happens to teach locomotive electronics at a college says I could probably mount some lights up front, then tap into a "keyed on" hot wire, such as one of my cigarette lighters on the dash, and install a relay connected to the regular headlight circuit to shut the lights off whenever I turn my regular headlights on. Sounds simple enough. (I know, anything that sounds that simple, never is.)
Anyone have any ideas? Legalities? I spoke with some 15 watt nitwit at the parts counter at the local Dodge dealer, which was somewhat underwhelming. (I refuse to mount those cheesy LED strip lights that seem to be the latest craze/fashion.)

Del

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 (with a pair of cool and righteous J.W.Speaker TS4000's, but I digress......). In my advanced years, I am beginning to like the idea of having daylight running lights for safety reasons. Mostly right at sun up or sundown, when the sun is real low, DRL's seem to help identify a vehicle by someone driving towards the sun. This model did not come from the factory with DRL's.

My
truck didn't have them either. Some people either hate them or love them. Being out in the rural part of the County, I like them myself.

In my case you just have to find the right dealer to work with you.

2014 Ram 1500

This particular truck has to have a Sales Code entered into the vehicle that said it came with DRL's.

Then the Dealer could find the code to turn on with their scan tools.

Took me about 5 different Dealers, don't give up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill-- the first match when searching the forum for "add DRL": http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?384492-Adding-DRLs-to-a-car-without :)

Sounds like you want the Web Electric DRL-1, Daniel Stern has a good writeup on them here and may still have them for sale. Installation is straightforward and it all works like a factory setup without looking cheesy or using dubious LED strip lights. There ARE LED strip DRLs that really do *work* and everything, but they'll look out of place on a truck like that.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'll second that recommendation for the DRL-1. I buy them, as needed, from Stern.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
(As I was reading this thread, my wife walked by and looked over my shoulder. She thought about it for a minute and walked away mumbling "why don't you just get into the habit of turning your lights on every time you start it.....?")

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"why don't you just get into the habit of turning your lights on every time you start it.....?")

Because (1) that's not DRLs, and (2) it gives a poorer safety benefit for much greater energy expenditure.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
Bill, the Web Electric DRL-1 is an excellent choice. I've installed two of these with excellent results, just like an OE setup. You can buy from D. Stern or directly from the manufacturer. Forget messing with the relays. The DRL-1 is a clean looking setup (using your turn signals) without all of the wiring needed for a relayed DRL and added lighting. (As to how neat you want to make the install is totally up to you.)

Latest posts