Maxpedition AGR/2        

Thread: Cleaning inside of AR coated sapphire

Default Cleaning inside of AR coated sapphire

I was trying to blow out some dust inside my mcgizmo and ended up getting some gunk stuck on the AR coating of the sapphire glass. Is there a way to clean the AR coated side without damaging it?

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Default Re: Cleaning inside of AR coated sapphire

Try a small lens pen. They work pretty good for this application, and won't do any damage. Thyy are less than $10.00 at the Mart of Wal.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Try a small lens pen. They work pretty good for this application, and won't do any damage. Thyy are less than $10.00 at the Mart of Wal.
    Is the coating on both sides or just on the inside surface of the the lens? Thanks.
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    Is the coating on both sides or just on the inside surface of the the lens? Thanks.
    The stock lenses are coated inside only
    ... is the archimedes peak

Lens pens suck.
    Remove the lens and use dishwashing liquid and warm water, no harsh scrubbing etc. Blow dry if necessary and gently wipe down with a microfiber cloth of the smooth type.
    Don't forget the orientation and use a small blower to remove any dust upon reinstalling.
    I've done it plenty of times with Mcgizmos and a stack of other lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    The stock lenses are coated inside only
    Oh shoot. How does one tell which side is which ? Is there a quick and easy way to verify it?

I've taken apart my PD-S quite a number of times but could not tell the difference. So naturally thought it was on both sides.
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

Two things that I have found come in handy from one of my other hobbies of modifying watches is a dust blower and watchmaker's putty such as Rodico.

The dust blower is good for removing loose debris from reflectors, lenses, etc. without introducing moisture from blowing using one's breath.

Rodico is great for removing more persistent debris and oil such as from fingerprints as well as for picking up small parts without damaging delicate finishes. You knead the putty and shape it to however you require and dab at the target.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    Oh shoot. How does one tell which side is which ? Is there a quick and easy way to verify it?

I've taken apart my PD-S quite a number of times but could not tell the difference. So naturally thought it was on both sides.
    Although it unfortunately won't help you now, I put a bit of masking tape on the outer (uncoated) side of the window during assembly or repair operations ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Although it unfortunately won't help you now, I put a bit of masking tape on the outer (uncoated) side of the window during assembly or repair operations ....
    Thanks, I'll be doing this for my other McGizmo lights from now on..

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't gotten around to cleaning the glass yet. I was wondering what the best method is for removing the glass without damaging the o-ring?