Talk about the Pelican M8?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I accidently received a Pelican M8 LED when I had actually ordered an M6 LED.

I called and got the M6 LED on its way, then, in looking at the M8 realized that it was pretty cool.

After deciding I would make it my big toolbox light I loaded it with batteries and was blown away!! Its got the best throw of any of my lights apart from my SpaceNeedle II and its reasonably close to it, especially when you look at the comparable cost issue!

How come there isn't any talk about this light?!?

Bill

McGizmo

Flashaholic
That's a good question! I was wondering the same thing myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My guess is that not many have seen it yet.

Towelie

Newly Enlightened
this light is pretty sweet, my friend has one. Both this and the Sabrelite LED utilize Pelican's new Recoil LED technology. They claim it produces a boatload of lux.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spot at 20 yards, about 5 feet in diameter, enough spill to work with, white-blue.

Beam shot? I'll try, but never have figured out how to get a picture onto CPF. Maybe I can send it someone and they can post it? No promises, my digital cameras are not exactly state of the art!!

OK, I have beamshots, M6 vs M8 LED, on a white 9 foot ceiling, however, I can't figure out how to post them here. If someone wants me to email the images, I will be happy to do so.

Pictures have been color matched with PhotoShop 7, hot spots are approximately 10-12 inches in diameter at 9 feet. Not visible is the spill, M6 spill is the perfect circular fade, M8 LED shows some artifact at this distance due to the LED mounting, but that artifact completely disappears by 20 feet, there is CONSIDERABLY less spill from the M8 LED. At 20 yards, the M8 is more focused,the M6 throws more overall light. I'll try to find a white wall to give distance beam shots tomorrow.

Bill

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
bwaites--if you email me the images I can post them for you. Just got word that my M6 LED and M8 are on their way so I could use some beamshots to tide me over until they get here.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm undecided on the light. Mine puts out a diamond shape bright spot, with no spill/flood at all. Throw is good, but not spectacular, and it suffers from washout when any ambient light is present (a problem I'm seeing with most LED lights).

Hmmmm...

--dan

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots have been emailed to Zenghost.

Anybody interested in M8 LED vs SNII shots?

I'll need to email for someone else to post if you want them.

Bill

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i definitely want them!
while a SN2 is beyond me, an M8 might be a nice addition to my arsenal.
i hope someone who can post them shows up soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Beamshots have been emailed to Zenghost.

Anybody interested in M8 LED vs SNII shots?

I'll need to email for someone else to post if you want them.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
bwaites--just got home and I didn't receive any email from you, try sending them again.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
No problem--I got time.

Here are the pics from bwaites (click on the thumbnail for a larger image):

Pelican M8 LED Beamshot

Pelican M6 LED Beamshot

M6 LED vs. M8 LED

Pelican M8 LED vs. SNII

SNII on tightest focus

SL TT3C vs. M8 LED

SL TT3C

SNII

M8 LED

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
What none of the pictures really show is the amount of spill light.

The M8 kills the SL TT3C at any distance, because it is so sharply spotted, but the TT3C throws a much more diffuse light and lights up a close-by area much better.

The M8 gets whacked by the SNII just about everywhere, but so do most handhelds! The SNII just flat pumps the photons out!! Great Spot, Great spill!

Sorry my pictures can't be better. Guess if I were to get the wifes Nikons out I could REALLY do the job right but then you's have to wait for days to get the film back!

Any other requests?

Bill