Is halogen bulb near the end of its ascension?

RR187

Newly Enlightened
looking at the osram nightbreaker laser, I am thinking that the ultimate hagogen bulb should be someting that has similar window cut like nightbreaker laser with completely opaque coating. It could be a + 200% bulb with 150h lifespan,and that's it ,not much can be done with it anymore,right? in the near future,all cars will be equipped with LED headlights or similar new light source.So the demand for halogen bulbs will continue to decline, large companies will no longer willing to spend money to further improve them.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
in the near future,all cars will be equipped with LED headlights or similar new light source

No, halogen headlamps will still be widely used on new vehicles on a worldwide basis, for simple cost reasons. There are many not-so-rich places in the world where local economics will not support more than the cheapest possible technology.

So the demand for halogen bulbs will continue to decline, large companies will no longer willing to spend money to further improve them.

Well, four new types (H17, H18, H19, H20) were released this year. Will they be the last new halogen bulb types ever released? Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
That cost line is what I'm watching, Virgil. So far, good LED or HID lights are still expensive. Until they become cost competitive, they'll be most attractive where space and electrical drain is critical (motorcycles, small modern cars). But if you have a full sized vehicle with plenty of mounting space and alternator power, halogen still looks good to your wallet.

Technologies mature and become more affordable. I will try to be patient. ;)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yeah, take a look at what Ford just did with their big, expensive Super Duty truck, sold in a wealthy market. That's another reason why halogens will stick around a while regardless of cost trends: so the automakers can squeeze more money out of more wallets for an "upgrade" (in quotes because it's not necessarily so) to LEDs.

RR187

Newly Enlightened
Glad to learn some new things. about this new H19, it has cap PU43t-3, and the old H4 has Cap P43t, are they interchangeable? can i put this H19 bulb in my H4 headlight?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No. Even if you grind the bulb base or receptacle to physically fit the H19 in an H4 headlamp, or vice versa, the two bulb types are optically incompatible.

Last edited: