Lion battery shipping restrictions to USA

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Can someone tell me if all lion batteries shipped to USA are seized by customs? I'm interested in getting one of the small usb rechargable lights, like cooyoo, mecarmy, jetbeam etc that have a preinstalled lion.

A couple of yearsa ago when post office implemented ban on these I had some 18650's which never arrived, so I've been leary of ordering lions shipped from China to USA. Does anyone have success in receiveing these stateside?

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I googled this info from usps: Lithium batteries can only be shippedinternationally if they are installed in the equipment they operate. Shipping carriers are not allowed toship packages containing only lithium batteries or cells to international locations – they must be included inside a product.Feb 26, 2015

so I am assuming a usb rechargable light with the battery installed in it would be ok? or are they referring to items like laptops? if anyone know please get back to me, would like to get one, but im still a little unsure what the result will be

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I googled this info from usps: Lithium batteries can only be shippedinternationally if they are installed in the equipment they operate. Shipping carriers are not allowed toship packages containing only lithium batteries or cells to international locations – they must be included inside a product.Feb 26, 2015

so I am assuming a usb rechargable light with the battery installed in it would be ok? or are they referring to items like laptops? if anyone know please get back to me, would like to get one, but im still a little unsure what the result will be
Did you read both the lithium primary and the lithium ion sections of the regs? IIRC, there are not many ways either type of cell can travel by itself using air freight. There are tight restrictions, but it is possible to ship either one in larger quantities in secure packaging with appropriate documentation. The same documentation is required for shipping li-ion cells air freight, and that is the sticking point for me. I can't afford to arrange for a certified shipper to allow me to put their name and phone number on the package documentation as the place to call for directions if there is a problem with the package.