COB (Chip On Board) LED Lantern Inventory

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
COB (Chip On Board) LED lighting is a sort of LED where the overall design gives the end user the impression that there is a homogeneous source of light, instead of individual "dots" each pointed out at you. Glare is/can still be an issue, and it is up to the individual labels to prescribe to the OEM how they want the lantern to be realized. I thought it would be nice to collect a list of those lanterns in one thread, and update/add to the initial post as needed. Discussion on the relative merits of the technology and/or individual lanterns could be included.

As with Favourlight/Rayovac/Gentos/etc., no doubt there are only one, two, or three major manufacturers pumping these out, who custom make them to spec.

The major venue for these seems to be Amazon. Unfortunately, many of the reviews were solicited by sending off a free copy of the product being reviewed. This makes those reviews suspect.

The list will have a title for each brand/label. The first column will be the model. The second column will be the battery type followed by claimed maximum lumens.

As usual, no affiliation with any of the sellers, just a desire to:

1) Organize data
2) Share with the community

One final note:

My experience with generic, mass market products, whether they be lanterns or any other consumer good, is guilty until proven innocent. There are very few models I would actually trust in an emergency, let alone during general use. Whenever I browse a product on Amazon, I always click "Critical Reviews" to see what they say. While LED drivers can do amazing things, resistors are far less likely to fail when you really need something to work.

COB (Chip On Board) LED Lantern Inventory

Lux Pro

LP367 --------> 3AA ---------> 150 CML
LP369 --------> 3C ----------> 750 CML
LP371 --------> 4D ----------> 1000 CML

LE

LE 500lm Outdoor LED Lantern --------> 3D --------> 500 CML

Mighty Power

Mighty Power Ultra Bright C.O.B. LED Lantern With Compass & Handle ----------> 4D ----------> 750 CML

ALASKANITE

Brightest LED Lantern -------------> 3AA --------------> 320 CML

Bulldog

3 COB LED Camping Lantern ---------> 3AA ----------> 140 CML

HeroBeam

HeroBeam LED Lantern V2.0 with Flashlight - 2016 ----------> 3AA --------> 300 CML

BYB Light

BYB E-0454 ---------------> 3AA ---------> 300 CML

Guide Gear

Guide Gear Cob Lantern ----------> 3D ---------> 300 CML

Promier

Promier 750 Lumen Camping Lantern --------> (?) ----------> 750 CML

Additional Thoughts:

A lantern feeling (or claiming) to be "tough" or "rugged" or "bright" tells us nothing about the actual product, and only months of usage will tell us which are truly reliable (unless they fall apart well before then). Most of these lanterns fail to impress, if not for the poor build quality then for the terrible glare. There is a market here for someone to build a quality COB lantern, preferably (user bias) in a neutral/warm tint, with a frosted globe.

Anybody out there? :)

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The list will have a title for each brand/label. The first column will be the model. The second column will be the battery type followed by claimed maximum lumens.

What does "CML" stand for?

And why don't use a table or better an googe docs file?

Lantern
lumen
Fenix CL30R600
Nitecore LR30205

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLIkfmWpZhUcIy7FMKMTrRkcH4UVi2Mo0rEMU6L6KyU/edit?usp=sharing

1) Please see the above quote.
2) I made the post using plain text in the simplest way that came to mind.
3) First, I didn't use Google Docs because I didn't think of it.
4) Second, I didn't use Google Docs because I intend my posts to have minimum possible bar to entry.
Google Docs is an "extra" beyond this forum; plain text is not.
5) I do like the table idea, and may go back later to change the format when I have the time. :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last time I checked, COB LEDs were about as energy efficient as an XM-L2.
Now, I believe that XP L and XHP leds are more efficient, (maybe not at lower outputs, I am not sure)
At any rate, I don't know if you want to add broad beam COB lights as another category of a directed light lantern.

Those 20-30 5mm led satellite lanterns might be considered a directed light lantern.
With that in mind, then COB work-lights might be considered a directed light lantern.

For example the Walmart branded "Hyper Tough 3AA work light"

Or maybe the Lux Pro COB Penlight LP137
or the Little or Big Larry COB lights.