Most reliable: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, or other?

HEDP

Enlightened
I have a New Nitecore TM and an Olihjt Jacelot. Both initially had a one time problem where they wouldn't work. I haven't had that problem since. But it was troubling. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Fenix, Nitecore, and Olight are the big 3 of flashlights, similar to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Am I right?

Im thinking about getting a new flashlight and was looking at a Fenix in hope of not having any reliability issues to worry about. I was thinking something like the Fenix FD41.

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened
I've only owned 4 nitecore lights and I had issues with 3 of them. Tons on Nitecore bashing threads on here. I still can't bring myself to buy another one. I do have over 12 Olight flashlights and have only had 1 issue. The rubber switch cover popped of an S1. I'd put zebralight near the top, but no manufacture is without the occasional issue.

PartyPete

Enlightened
The FD41 is a new model and a unique one at that, so it's hard to say what the longevity will be like. It's quite a different design for them.

I will say, my humble layman's opinion here is Fenix quality is pretty good and I've never had any issues with their lights. People, for whatever reason, sometimes have a chip on their shoulder with Fenix, maybe being a more mainstream brand but they are solid lights.

Most common complaints that I see? Nitecore. I've returned two myself.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix here too probably. I have many and had zero issues so far.

I have also had great luck with Olight but they do not seem as tough in general to me but they do offer true Moonlight modes which is reason enough to choose over any Fenix for many of us.

Enderman

Enlightened
Probably fenix for best quality. I have seen several complaints about olight.
I think the reason people see so many complaints about nitecore is because they sell like 10x more flashlights than their competitors, you can even see just by looking at their product list that they have a ton more variety too.
So it makes sense that more sales = more complaints.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several other more reliable lights but they are considerably more expensive.
My Fenix lights have served me well the last 5-7 years.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't nitecore also go through a significant quality shift (for the better) about 2-3 years ago?

I still don't think they're quite as soundly / consistently made as Fenix, but the bashing threads I've noticed were on lights made a while back. (The TIP lockout issue being a recent exception.)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a New Nitecore TM and an Olihjt Jacelot. Both initially had a one time problem where they wouldn't work. I haven't had that problem since. But it was troubling. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Fenix, Nitecore, and Olight are the big 3 of flashlights, similar to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Am I right?

Im thinking about getting a new flashlight and was looking at a Fenix in hope of not having any reliability issues to worry about. I was thinking something like the Fenix FD41.

Not really. Fenix, Nitecore, and Olight are more like Kia, Hyundai, and Fiat. Medium quality imported brands that are reliable sometimes. Malkoff, Elzetta, and Surefire would be a better analogy as they are reliable US brands. If you want high quality, reliable offshore brands with good warranty, then I recommend Zebralight or Armytek.

To rate the three you listed from best to worst, I would say Fenix then Olight then Nitecore.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff MDC series is the way to go if reliability is high on your priority list, unless you are bothered by PWM.

Capolini

Banned
I have a combined total of 12 [7 Fenix/5 Olight] Fenix /Olight lights. Seven are modded by Vinh.

I have NOT had One issue w/ any of them. They are between 2 and 4 years old. No complaints whatsoever! :twothumbs

Onthebrightside

Newly Enlightened
I have 9 fenix without a hitch one is a Vinh.... Even better, but have been on a nitecore kick lately 6 of them with no problems as of yet and want to try an olight.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I have 3 Nitecore lights and have to return 2 of them for service issues. So yea, no more Nitecore for me until I'm sure that they have improve their QC. They do sell more lights but that's no excuse for the multiple complaints. It should be the other way round, with more lights sold and less needing servicing as they improve their production and QC issues.

wvdavidr

Newly Enlightened
My least reliable: Fenix. I have reliability issues, which couldn't be resolved without returns or returns to China. Runner up: Eagtac.

Best for me: Olight. I have a bunch of them and no troubles so far. After posting this, they'll probably all fail!!