• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Jet III Pro - ST is failing

Zenster

Enlightened
I thought I'd ask this question here as much for any help I can get from users as from the company itself.

I bought my Jet III Pro-ST about 8 or so years ago.

It has been great all that time. It was never my primary light, so I never did put that much time on it, but I found it very useful for lots of situations and I don't want to lose it.

So the deal is; about a couple of weeks ago, I noted that the highest brightness setting would only emit would could generously be called a "moon glow" in intensity.
Of course my first thought was to change out the battery, but it did the same and I thought maybe I had simply grabbed another low battery.
So I MADE SURE that I had a couple of freshly charged 18650's on hand, but with either of them, I could only get that moonglow look out of the light at it's brightest setting
Note that I could still cycle through the 3 brightness settings. The lowest setting yielded just a barely lit LED, the middle a little more, and the brightest being a moonglow brightness.

This light is way beyond warranty and I doubt if it's worth it to send it back, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what component in the circuitry I could check to see if replacing it would fix the problem.
Something is failing for sure, I just would like a push in the right direction as to where to look.

Anyone?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's either your switch or the driver.
To check the switch, take off the tailcap and short the -ve side of the battery to the body (to an unanodised bit). If the led lights up properly it's your switch. Otherwise it's probably the driver that has failed.
I can see from this review
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...T-Review-RUNTIMES-COMPARISONS-PHOTOS-and-more!
that you can take the tailcap apart so if it's the switch there's a good chance of an easy fix. It's more complicated but eminently doable to replace the driver. If you don't feel up to it there's a few people here who are able.
P

Zenster

Enlightened
Thanks, but I had already shorted the batt to the body to bypass the switch, and the light is still dim. That was the simple part.
Do you know where I might get the correct driver?
If I can acquire it, I can probably replace it myself. I've done some micro electronic stuff before.

scorched78

Newly Enlightened
Hi Zenster/Others,

Were you able to buy something from Blue Mountain Electronics that fixed it? I believe I have the same problem. It's exhibiting this moon glow or very lot light output. (Same light, Jetbeam III Pro).