Flashlight of the year-2016

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It was mentioned in the Cafe' section to have a flashlight of the year award.

There are still some days left in 016. But it seems most of the innovations and upgrades are in for the year as those "017" models start to roll out.

So the idea here is a fun excersize where folks chime in stating what they feel was the best light of the year.

Much like those award shows on tv, there will be categories along the way. Things like 'thrower' of the year, 'interface' of the year, 'firefly' of the year, best switch of 016, and things like that. Favorite budget lights, favorite tints, favorite shapes, sizes, colors etc etc.
Since the venerable flashlight is no longer just a round tube with a light bulb there are options galore for this thread.

I hope others will toss out their picks along with possible categories as well. Being a fan of all flashlights my picks are influenced by all things old and all things new.

My pick for "flashlight of the year" goes to Maglite for their super-sized mini mag, the 2 cell ML25LT.
Being a fan of nostalgia this one brought back a vintage appeal with an updated platform. The icing on the cake for me was the ability to control on/off by a slight twist of the tailcap.

My pick for 'cop light' of the year went to the Elzetta Bones for the beam the optic provides, the true/steady 675 lumen output and the ability to use the lockout feature for silent running.

My pick for EDC goes to the PKDL PR-1 for it's whopping high, but preferred medium and low settings.

For keychain light my pick is the PKDL PL2. The kubatan at the tail end provides me a little peace of mind that my wife can buy a few seconds of skee-daddle time by inflicting a painful poke when grabbed from behind.

My favorite 'tool' light would be the 48 lumen Microstream as it seems to be the most handy for most of my flashlight uses. And my favorite 'toy' light would be the dual fuel ProTac HL 4. 2200 lumen high that lights up a city block without blinding the user. I have all kinds of fun with that one.

So what are your favorites this year?
No wrong answers here. Afterall it's a hobby for many. A lifesaver for some, a tool for some and a toy for others.

Note:
I kept the words "favorite brand" out. Too subjective for this thread in my view.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these...

boss.jpg

Just because I want one so badly I'd give up wearing underpants.
P

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I remember 2013 flashlight of the year was the SF C2 (hope my mind isn't shot). That triggered snarky comments from other survival and lighting forums about how stuck up and out of touch CPF was to pick an incan. Odds are they didn't calculate the C2's were modified with Malkoffs etc etc etc. I think the Nitecore D10 was also one some years before that. Gosh I would probably pick the ZL SC5 unless it has been already picked in previous years. It's gotta be the brightest using 1XAA production on the market. Has a programmable UI with crazy low firefly. Great tint in the NW for the "w" model. Runs like a champ off LSD NiMH with output = to 14500 lithium ion. Even has disco modes!!!! LOL! To be honest I prefer the AT Prime UI but still that ZL has much going for it.

stephenk

Enlightened
It was mentioned in the Cafe' section to have a flashlight of the year award.

There are still some days left in 016. But it seems most of the innovations and upgrades are in for the year as those "017" models start to roll out.

So the idea here is a fun excersize where folks chime in stating what they feel was the best light of the year.

Much like those award shows on tv, there will be categories along the way. Things like 'thrower' of the year, 'interface' of the year, 'firefly' of the year, best switch of 016, and things like that. Favorite budget lights, favorite tints, favorite shapes, sizes, colors etc etc.
Since the venerable flashlight is no longer just a round tube with a light bulb there are options galore for this thread.

I hope others will toss out their picks along with possible categories as well. Being a fan of all flashlights my picks are influenced by all things old and all things new.

My pick for "flashlight of the year" goes to Maglite for their super-sized mini mag, the 2 cell ML25LT.
Being a fan of nostalgia this one brought back a vintage appeal with an updated platform. The icing on the cake for me was the ability to control on/off by a slight twist of the tailcap.

My pick for 'cop light' of the year went to the Elzetta Bones for the beam the optic provides, the true/steady 675 lumen output and the ability to use the lockout feature for silent running.

My pick for EDC goes to the PKDL PR-1 for it's whopping high, but preferred medium and low settings.

For keychain light my pick is the PKDL PL2. The kubatan at the tail end provides me a little peace of mind that my wife can buy a few seconds of skee-daddle time by inflicting a painful poke when grabbed from behind.

My favorite 'tool' light would be the 48 lumen Microstream as it seems to be the most handy for most of my flashlight uses. And my favorite 'toy' light would be the dual fuel ProTac HL 4. 2200 lumen high that lights up a city block without blinding the user. I have all kinds of fun with that one.

So what are your favorites this year?
No wrong answers here. Afterall it's a hobby for many. A lifesaver for some, a tool for some and a toy for others.

Note:
I kept the words "favorite brand" out. Too subjective for this thread in my view.
Bit of a coincidence that you are a dealer for two of your "light of the year" votes?

My favourite lights of the year are Convoy L6 for impressive price to output ratio, Klarus Mi7 for best EDC, and new Convoy firmware (for C8 and S2+) for best product improvement.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bit of a coincidence that you are a dealer for two of your "light of the year" votes?

You may also note my 'flashlight of the year' was not a product I sell, nor my favorite 'tool', nor my favorite 'cop light', nor my favorite 'toy'.....

I believe in the person who builds the products I sell. Yes there were 2 picks from that maker who is trying to get a small business off the ground. But they were part of my vast flashlight collection and were my favorite 'keychain' light and 'edc' long before I was a dealer. I had those 2 since they came out. I became a dealer a bit over a month ago. So it aint like I'm trying to use this thread to push sales. Quite the contrary actually.

It just came down to here we are at the close of 2016 and there was no "favorite 016" lights thread yet. So I figured that carrying on the annual tradition would be a good thing. Only this one would be different than the usual 'top 5' threads. And yeah 2 of my picks were lights that I believe in enough to invest my time and money into promoting for a guy just getting going.
Wouldn't be even more strange if none of my favorites were ones at my store?

Anyway... anybody got any categories they want to create?
Right angle light? Favorite 1 double A? Favorite 18650?, 18350?....

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Favorite keychain:pKDL PL-2, Favorite 16340 EDC PKDL PR-1, Favorite budget light Convoy L-6, Favorite 18650 EDC Thetasigma. I second the comments that bykfixer was a fan of the PR-1 and PL-2 long before the shop was a consideration. I am all for keeping us accountable, but it can be accomplished politely...