I need a light for working nights

CaptainCrunch

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a correctional officer looking for a flashlight. I need something super hardy(the metal kinds?) and bright, preferably with an option to change the brightness and a button on the end of the light. Lightweight is a plus, availability of a holster to put on my belt, and rechargeable.

Ive heard good things about streamlight and that seems to be the majority of what my coworkers have, but I am having a hard time figuring out the differences are between all the models. I'm open to other options too. My price range is around $100, but less is obviously awesome too.

matt4350

Enlightened
Depends how far you want to be able to see, but I think you'd be hard pressed to go better than the Surefire G2x (look at the Pro or LE versions). The LE is lightweight, bright, hardy (it's not metal but it's definitely tough!), has a high and low setting and a button on the tailcap. Plenty of holsters fit. You can use rechargeable 16650 cells in it.

I can't comment on the Streamlight, don't have one.

arKmm

Enlightened
Depends on your budget but I'd recommend the Surefire G2X LE as well. Can be either run on disposable Cr123 cells or you can use a rechargeable 16650. Highly recommend the Surefire V70 holster to go with it.

Yes there will be brighter, but the genuine 400 lumen out of the G2X LE is more than enough for what you need, and it means you get a longer runtime. Furthermore, the model is very robust, super simple interface, and backed by a lifetime warranty. Plus, it's sold at a great price point.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Streamlight or Surefire if you have the $$$

Might also look at Armytek offerings, something like the Partner C2 Pro v3 with either XP-L or XHP35 emitter.

OR some of the latest 26650 based lights like the Fenix PD40R or Olight R50 Seeker Pro (with Law Enforcement Kit). Both use XHP70 emitter for up to 3000 / 3200 lumens (before automatic step-down) & have 20+ hours rated runtime on low mode which are very usable 60lm (Olight) / 100lm (Fenix) for indoor & short-range use.