Charge 18650 at 3.6V or 3.8V?

spikebike

Newly Enlightened
I just got a XTAR VP2 at the recommendation of this forum, nice unit. Decent build quality, nice display, very simple to use. Just pick your voltage, and 0.25, 0.5, or 1.0 amps.

My plan is to use 0.25 amps normally and charge the batteries overnight, hoping the batteries last longer that way.

I bought two orbtronic 3400 mAh 18650 protected 3.7V batteries to add to my collection. Recommendations on better batteries welcome.

I noticed that the charger allows 3.2V, 3.6V, or 3.8V. Which is best for charging 18650s? Any trade offs? Would a flashlight (fenix tk15ue in this case) be brighter or last longer with either 3.6V or 3.8V?

Would the batteries handle more recharges with either voltage?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a XTAR VP2 at the recommendation of this forum, nice unit. Decent build quality, nice display, very simple to use. Just pick your voltage, and 0.25, 0.5, or 1.0 amps.

My plan is to use 0.25 amps normally and charge the batteries overnight, hoping the batteries last longer that way.

I bought two orbtronic 3400 mAh 18650 protected 3.7V batteries to add to my collection. Recommendations on better batteries welcome.

I noticed that the charger allows 3.2V, 3.6V, or 3.8V. Which is best for charging 18650s? Any trade offs? Would a flashlight (fenix tk15ue in this case) be brighter or last longer with either 3.6V or 3.8V?

Would the batteries handle more recharges with either voltage?

You should do some reading and learn about the different types of battery chemistries, cells, proper usage, minimum discharge, etc. for safety before you go any further. Li-ion batteries can be very dangerous if not used properly.

You charge those cells(Panasonic NCR18650B based) at the 3.6V setting. It is the main setting for standard 4.2V Li-ions. The 3.8V setting is only for special 4.35V capable cells. The 3.2V setting is for LiFePO4 cells.