Charging questions from a N00b

N2DFire

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all.

I have been a long time lurker with not much knowledge to contribute.

Looking to start Christmas shopping for my self to expand / upgrade my collection.

Currently my favorite EDC is a first gen Klarus XT11 and I still love it's simplicity today as much as the first day.

I use the word "carry" lightly because it's about 30/70 between on person carry & a truck light. I am a p/t paid & volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic - Fire Instructor and usually only carry the light on my person when I'm on duty. All other times I just grab it out of the truck when I need it.

I'm looking to "upgrade" to the XT12GT and am curious to the Pros/Cons to leaving the magnetic charger attached while the light is just riding in the truck (which would include placing it back on charge after a period of low to no use). For the XT11 I have 2 18650 cells and I use one till the light starts to flicker then I swap to the "fresh" cell and recharge the other.

Right now what I know (or at least think I know) is
* The included 18650 cell that comes with the light IS a protected cell
* Protected cells will "disconnect" them selves when fully charged to prevent overcharging / damage
* Old Ni-Cad based technology was notorious for developing a memory (I raced R/C stuff for years like 25 years ago I I remember having huge discharge racks to bring them all the way down after our races were over) - My understanding of Li-Ion based tech is that they do not suffer these same issues and the charge / discharge cycles are not as big a deal as Ni-Cad used to be.

So please feel free to correct or reinforce this and bring me up to speed on the modern do's and don'ts (Oh - I did read the sticky about the care of the 18650 cells but I thought I would see if anything else had changed in the 6 or so years since it was started).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve