Need help choosing a light for a non-light guy

D5KDeutsche

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. I'm not new to lights, just new here. Although I'm not a collector and I don't stay up to date on everything happening in the world of lights, I know the value of a good light since I've used one daily for work for 10 years and have owned many. With that said, I was told that my job is to purchase this ridiculous as seen on tv tactical light for someone this year. I asked all the right questions, like, what about this light is appealing, what is he using it for, etc. Turns out, "It's cool it can work underwater and frozen in a block of ice. Plus, he is scared of guns and thinks the strobe is a good self defense tactic." :wow: So, here is my dilemma; I'm not buying someone a piece of crap for Christmas and I'm also not spending $80 for the light I would personally buy. I'm looking for something that's waterproof and has strobe functions, roughly $20, but on the larger side to fit his big hands. He isn't going to want to fumble a pen light or something small like an Olight S10, especially if it's to save is life (hah). I was thinking about something like the Thorfire C8, but having owned Thorfires, it's a plain box that isn't going to say "This is what you asked for for Christmas", and I'll have to explain how it's better. I do like the Nitecore MT26, but $$. Yikes.

Here is a link to the "best light ever."

*Link removed by Greta

Last edited by a moderator:

D5KDeutsche

Newly Enlightened
Whoops. Guess I can't post links.

I had a chance to look at some more options tonight and I think I'll go with an Olight M18 Maverick (unless someone can think of a better fitting option) - Just in case someone comes across this post looking for a light that fits similar requirements.

MX421

Enlightened
Its always nice to shop for someone else, but you budget sure does make it tough. I'm going to assume i can go over by 100% if necessary:grin2::

Illumn has that Olight as well as a ST25 Baton (XM-L2 @ 550 lumens) for around $35. Have a look through their clearance section. For a little more, the Nitecore EA41 is brighter and runs off AAs. Or maybe spend a even more and get the Armytek Doberman those are very tough lights, but since he is fooled easily by those commercials, i'm not sure i'd have him using Lithium Ion batteries at least not that you would buy for him...

If he is trainable on Lithium Ion Batteries, I would recommend a Convoy S2+ or BLF A6 (Astrolux S1). The Convoy has an easier accessible strobe which you can also hide. The build quality of these is pretty high. You can get them at Mountain Electronics here in the states, or if you have the time, you can order through some place like banggood, gearbest, or even alibaba (Convoy sells directly on there so no chance of fakes from some of the chinese sites)

If you think he needs something with pretty good throw (that seems to impress), then perhaps a Convoy C8. I don't have any Thorfires to compare with, but the Convoy lights have a really good build For someone like that, get a cool white beam for the brightest thing you can get.

You may want to reconsider the smaller light. With the right interface, they are more practicable for carrying around, thus he would be more likely to have it when he needed it. I'd advise him that the light is not really a self defense weapon but these false sense of securities make some people sleep better at night, especially when they are convince hat you are wrong :). The S10/S1 or S1/S1A would be a good choice. Lets face it, anything over 200 lumens is going to be bright to someone like that. Or maybe just get him a bigger light, then add <$10 to get something like the Olight i3E for his keychain. A black one is $7 at Illumn.

Another thing to consider is maybe a P60 host, like a solarforce or Seraph. that way, you could get him a few cheap modules and get him into the interchangableness of them. The rear forward clickie is a good choice for a "tactical light. Maybe get him a mean looking bezel to go with it...

Comparing this year to last though, there aren't as many good deals as there used to be. Good luck.

Hope my virtual shopping spree helps. Maybe you'll get other suggestions since this is bumped up to the top.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second the Convoy S2+ idea as I just ordered a few of them from Gearbest and they arrived really quickly and are pretty impressive lights by any standard and I paid $13 each for mine!
One of thise Olight Magnetic chargers and a few 18650s and you would be good to go for around $30 I bet and though he would need to recharge that Olight charger seems pretty much fool proof to me.

I would also look at the newest Maglite that look like big AA Mags!
They have them in C and D cell versions and they are really well made as most Mag are.
They are pretty inexpensive but simple and bright and the 3 cell models have great runtimes too.
Sure worth a shot and to someone who considers that Tac lite the shizzle a real Mag might be just the thing?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second the Convoy S2+ idea as I just ordered a few of them from Gearbest and they arrived really quickly and are pretty impressive lights by any standard and I paid $13 each for mine!
One of thise Olight Magnetic chargers and a few 18650s and you would be good to go for around $30 I bet and though he would need to recharge that Olight charger seems pretty much fool proof to me.

I would also look at the newest Maglite that look like big AA Mags!
They have them in C and D cell versions and they are really well made as most Mag are.
They are pretty inexpensive but simple and bright and the 3 cell models have great runtimes too.
Sure worth a shot and to someone who considers that Tac lite the shizzle a real Mag might be just the thing?

Home Depot has a great deal on a 2 pack 2C/3C Mag ML25's right now, but since they are single mode, they may not be as interesting to someone looking at the info mertial light.

For about $35 you can get a 3C Maglite ML50L with mode modes/function sets to play with, but still a very practical 600+ lumen light.