9p drop in. one flood one throw

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
ok. 9p i mean!!!!

I have 2 older 9p's I'd like to update with some dropins

I'm considering one with flood and one with throw.

what are some options? i'm not looking to break the bank.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: p9 drop in. one flod one throw

You can click on the "advanced" button in your edit and correct the title.

The Malkoff LED's for a 9P may be more than you want to spend but they are rock solid performers that will last a long, long time.

Or you can opt for the 6 volt drop ins if you load that 9P with a pair of 16500 cells.

m4a1usr

Enlightened

Sportac and EDC plus are other options that may suit your needs. Great quality and priced slightly better than Malkoff. But I am a Malkoff junkie and would recommend them over any other brand.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened

not feeling the love of spending $60 on a drop in though :(

flashlight chronic

Enlightened

Mountain Electronics can custom build the drop-in of your choice. Just choose a smooth or orange peel reflector, a 17mm buck driver and a 16mm LED MCPCB. You'll have to wait on the build time though. Or check sbflashlights for Solarforce drop-ins. Make sure to choose the correct voltage range. Personally, I'd save up for a Malkoff. Your 9P will love you for it!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

The $10 Amazon ones I would trust around the house and it will give poor quality light too. A malkoff or other high quality drop in will be much better quality

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the flood: Malkoff M91(I prefer the warm option, it's the most pleasant beam and tint I have in my collection). For the throw I don't know.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened

For the flood: Malkoff M91(I prefer the warm option, it's the most pleasant beam and tint I have in my collection). For the throw I don't know.

i dont even see that one for sale any more

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

i dont even see that one for sale any more

The current high voltage floody series is named M91B, and M91BW for the warm version.

As long as you don't use three Li-Ion 16340s in the 9P, a standard M60 is compatible.

The Malkoff drop-ins dedicated to throw and flood haven't been updated in quite a few years and are at the low end of the output spectrum. On the flip side, this output level gives them much longer run times than would be achieved from those that draw 1+ amp. The throwy one is the M60W and the floody one is the M60WF. Neither are currently available, but they have both been offered in the past. Buying one on the used market shouldn't be too difficult....but it won't occur without a bit of effort and time.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

You also have to keep in mind that when we talk about throw in relation to a D26 drop in [which is what the P60/P90 drop ins are] that range is somewhat limited. The D26 form factor does not allow for large diameter and/or deep reflectors, which means throw is limited in comparison to something like a C8 or a TM36, to give a couple of examples. Most of the throw available in the D26 format is gained by sheer lumen output. Also, the use of smaller die emitters like the XPG reduce the amount of flood and channel more of the available lumens to gaining distance.

Now, I am not saying that D26 drop ins don't throw. The 60-100 meters that is normal for them is more than adequate for most uses of lights the size of a 6P/9P and those of their ilk. But if you are really wanting to reach out and touch someone, you are going to have to move up to a light purposely designed for throw. Me, I have three of the 6P class, which are more than enough for around the house and yard purposes, and a TM16GT to play with and reach out with. So far I haven't had a need to reach that far, so it has been mainly something I bought just because I could.

Another place to look would be Lumens Factory. They don't have as many options as they used to, but the ones they have are dependable and very reasonable in price.

"Choose wisely grasshopper."

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened

You also have to keep in mind that when we talk about throw in relation to a D26 drop in [which is what the P60/P90 drop ins are] that range is somewhat limited. The D26 form factor does not allow for large diameter and/or deep reflectors, which means throw is limited in comparison to something like a C8 or a TM36, to give a couple of examples. Most of the throw available in the D26 format is gained by sheer lumen output. Also, the use of smaller die emitters like the XPG reduce the amount of flood and channel more of the available lumens to gaining distance.

Now, I am not saying that D26 drop ins don't throw. The 60-100 meters that is normal for them is more than adequate for most uses of lights the size of a 6P/9P and those of their ilk. But if you are really wanting to reach out and touch someone, you are going to have to move up to a light purposely designed for throw. Me, I have three of the 6P class, which are more than enough for around the house and yard purposes, and a TM16GT to play with and reach out with. So far I haven't had a need to reach that far, so it has been mainly something I bought just because I could.

Another place to look would be Lumens Factory. They don't have as many options as they used to, but the ones they have are dependable and very reasonable in price.

"Choose wisely grasshopper."
yes
I can see what you're saying by the head design. this light is not much of a "thrower".

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since these will be for 9Ps, some drop-ins will be eliminated due to the voltage. Vinh should be able to build you a smooth reflectored XPL-HI or XP-G2 unit that would accept 8.4 to 9 volts. I've got one, and while it's not really up to the Malkoff standard of quality, it's been reliable and durable (tolerating 12 guage recoil).

I only have a few non-Malkoff drop-ins, and one of them is a PFlexPro 950 plus lumen module with a smooth reflector. It's only usable with a single Li-Ion cell, but the throw it delivers would be roughly equivalent to a high voltage compatible specimen. It generates over three times the lux at an across the bedroom distance than the 235 lumen M60 (and a warm M60 will generate a bit less).

scout24

Flashaholic

Also see user "Nailbender" in BST custom section. He can build you whatever you want, your choice of reflector, emitter, number of levels, etc. He is customlites.com out on the worldwide web. He's been here a good while, does good work, and has many satisfied customers. Highly recommended.

PS- an OP- reflectored 5000k XPL-HI lives in one of my nightstand light, and reaches 125-130 yards comfortably with my middle aged eyes. I would imagine a smooth reflectored version would reach a bit further without a problem.

Last edited:

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened

The current high voltage floody series is named M91B, and M91BW for the warm version.

As long as you don't use three Li-Ion 16340s in the 9P, a standard M60 is compatible.

The Malkoff drop-ins dedicated to throw and flood haven't been updated in quite a few years and are at the low end of the output spectrum. On the flip side, this output level gives them much longer run times than would be achieved from those that draw 1+ amp. The throwy one is the M60W and the floody one is the M60WF. Neither are currently available, but they have both been offered in the past. Buying one on the used market shouldn't be too difficult....but it won't occur without a bit of effort and time.

so it looks like this is pretty much my only option (m91b(w))unless i want something custom, and i really don't want to bother with that.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option to achieve a floody profile is to apply diffuser film to the lens, or replace the lens with a frosted one. I have three M61s behind frosted lenses I bought from Oveready. One is in front of an M61 219 for kitchen use, one is in front of an M61N on a 12 gauge, and the third is in front of an M61NL in my truck.

It's easy to make a multi-purpose beam floody, your biggest challenge will be getting throw. I still haven't got a sense of just how much of it you're looking for.

m4a1usr

Enlightened

so it looks like this is pretty much my only option (m91b(w))unless i want something custom, and i really don't want to bother with that.

I wouldn't say that unless your committed to a Malkoff. Which isn't a bad thing. As I mentioned before you could go to Eagletac USA and get one of their Sportac Surefire P60 drop in's. They are well priced and you have many options. Like going with an XPG2 or XPL-HI for your thrower and with a Triple Nichia 219 for your flooder. Let me mention again. They are priced very, very well. I have a couple in my lights and they are not junk even with the low price. Plus they have a 120 month warranty. That's 10 years!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

A triple nichia for the flooder is a great suggestion.
P
Any triple will be a good flooder, but Nichia would be the best due to the high CRI. The reflectors on a triple (if it's not an optic) would be so shallow that the beam angle would be very large. I have never had a triple, so I can't compare one to the drop ins I am familiar with.