Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Apps/websites for waypoints??

Default Apps/websites for waypoints??

Im trying to firgure out how to use my Garmin (GPSmap 62s) for geocaching. I downloaded the Geocach app but they want money (of course). Does anyone here know where to get free waypoints and/or geocaches? Any good apps or websites? I am VERY new to this. Any pointers?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Apps/websites for waypoints??

I've got Garmin GPSMAP 64. The first thing I've done -- removed all unnecessary preloaded information and geocaching points among them.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I've got Garmin GPSMAP 64. The first thing I've done -- removed all unnecessary preloaded information and geocaching points among them.
    What did you do to load new caches?

Quote Originally Posted by juz10lew15 View Post
    What did you do to load new caches?
    I mean I removed them entirely, considering geocaching a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I mean I removed them entirely, considering geocaching a waste of time
    Ahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by juz10lew15 View Post
    Im trying to firgure out how to use my Garmin (GPSmap 62s) for geocaching. I downloaded the Geocach app but they want money (of course). Does anyone here know where to get free waypoints and/or geocaches? Any good apps or websites? I am VERY new to this. Any pointers?
    Thank you!
    Welcome to CandlePowerForums!

Hey don't mind him when he says rude things. He has good, useful information sometimes too. But then again, I sometimes say rude things here as well. You do not deserve any rudeness.

Anyways, have you tried any local folks (outdoor stores, internet search for local enthusiasts, talked to people out in the field) who can steer you to what is around you? I've seen people, usually with kids, who are looking for geocaches out in the forest or near our community center. More than once, while traveling at night, glittering things can be seen dangling in tree branches or even on the ground behind a tree. Turns out they are little capsules with rolled up paper in them. My son has gone twice to the same cache a friend showed him and exchanged items. It is fun and a good way to learn GPS skills.

One time I lost a dog leash in mostly untracked forest. Since I was recording the route, the next weekend, son and I retraced the track and actually found the leash! The error spread on my GPS can be substantial (maybe 20 feet or so) but one of our dogs found it first and paused to smell it, giving me the clue. It was fun and took about 45 minutes to find.

Good Luck on your Quest!

Not an endorsement: https://www.geocaching.com/

Sadly, the person who started this thread has not logged in since the first day he registered. Hopefully others can benefit from the link, or the Original Post Author checks in...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    Not an endorsement: https://www.geocaching.com/

By far the best cache site..