Problems with my Mini-Maglite Pro

MA9L173M0DD3R

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone who owns a mini maglite pro has experienced this problem before. I own a black led mini maglite pro and the bulb module quit on me. I tried replacing the batteries. That didn't work. I also checked for corrosion and there was none present. Therefore, I think the bulb and its circuitry could have malfunctioned in some way. I don't really know how it failed, so I would like some input from anyone who uses mini maglites. By the way, It is my birthday today!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try cleaning every contact with alcohol. Check the module too if it moves freely to and fro when you remove the flashlight head.

If none works, you can always contact Mag and they will sort you out.

Happy Birthday!!! Cheers.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
happy birthday, toss the mag and get a good flashlight for yourself as a birthday present like olight or fenix, never look back.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Birthday! Man over the past 20 years I have had so many Mags of all types I cannot even remember how many Mini Pros and Mini Pro Pluses I have had. Is the head loose? There is just a touch of movement normally in one of these things but any more than that means there is an O ring problem. O ring inside the head(not any kind of O ring in the bezel). There is an O ring at the base of the threads that the head screws onto. That O ring goes then so does good current path or current path altogether. What kind of batteries are you using? How old is the light? Is it beat up? The electronics in these things are actually pretty well put together. The tail cap. How does your tail cap look when you unscrew it? Is the tail spring messed up? Bent out of shape or deformed?

If you are a Mini Pro man then I have got to say that the Fenix E25UE which is less than 50 bucks, can take alkaline AA's, NiMH AA's and 14500's. Each chemistry gives different power outputs. The light itself has an XP-L emitter capable of 1000 lumens when run on 2x14500's. Best thing is the Fenix E25UE is the same shape and size as a Mini Mag and water proof to 6 feet. Your call man.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The switch system

Disassembled

The contact point.

Basically the switch is a sorta piston that moves back n forth causing the LED pill to make contact with another internal contact when the head is twisted clockwise.
See when the head is screwed down completely, its internal shape causes the LED pill to be 'pushed' away from that second contact point thereby interupting the flow of electricity.
Now when the head is loosened pressure from the spring in the tailcap causes the second contact point to become pushed against the LED pill by the batteries, thereby resuming electrical flow.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Here's the idea.

This is from an ML25 but the same principle applies.

Sometimes the spring on the tailcap is not enough force to push the second contact point all the way to the LED pill. Tolarences are tight and sometines friction between parts comes into play. You can see in the above post the legs and piston walls in the second photo. They are a tight fit. Sometimes a spring stretch will fix it as that causes more pressure to be applied to the contact point by pushing harder on the batteries.

Now the most likely issue is in the tailcap. I've had brand new never used mini mags fail to light at first then suddenly go to working. This morning the one in the pic stopped working upon reassembly.
Here's why:

Those little contact points were not making a good connection to the internal contact point. I started to unfasten the tail cap and it lit. Viola!!
I cleaned both points and it's now trouble free.

Hope these tips help you avoid spending more money.

If you cannot get it to go and don't want to send it back to Mag, take the head off. Insert a proper sized wooden dowel into the tailcap end and whack it with a hammer. That'll pop the pill out and you can see how it all functions. Apply a bit of lube to the 'legs', then work them into the piston wall a few times. Reassemble and see if that makes the light go again.

Maglite uses stupid simple genious designs, but like anything with moving parts sometimes things go wrong.
I gotta tell ya, there's a great feeling when you can figure out why that non working flashlight won't fire. And an even greater feeling when it fires up.

It makes you jump up and shout "YEAH!! NERDS RULE BABY!!!"

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
happy birthday, toss the mag and get a good flashlight for yourself as a birthday present like olight or fenix, never look back.

O lights and Fenix are more reliable than maglites? I've used maglite my whole life and beat the crap out of them. Never had one fail. Only lights more durable are the elzettas and malkoffs. I own a bunch of malkoffs and can confirm they are over built to with stand a bomb blast but for daily use I grab my mags

Blackbeard

Enlightened
O lights and Fenix are more reliable than maglites? I've used maglite my whole life and beat the crap out of them. Never had one fail. Only lights more durable are the elzettas and malkoffs. I own a bunch of malkoffs and can confirm they are over built to with stand a bomb blast but for daily use I grab my mags

Well, I guess by your username we will have to agree to disagree I've Never had any luck with maglites, have owned many over the years both incan and LED, my fenix and olights are far superior products, don't care that they are made in China, never had a single issue with a fenix ,and I've owned at least 20-30 over the past 7 years, 1 olight has failed on me, but they replaced it with a newer model under the warranty.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wonder how....

Oh never mind.
All I can add is since 1990 zero Maglite failures unless I broke it or it was dirty. Zero.
(That's not meant to boast or brag, just stating for the money a Maglite is a good value)

Glad you got your light going again MA9etc...
Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew byk, was gonna give you the break down. They are great little lights. I have a few and gift them all the time. If you get any water/moisture inside, and use alkaline cells, you are bound to have to clean the contacts. I run the Energizer Lithiums and find they are much less prone to issues. Especially if you store the light for extended periods.
Happy Birthday, and good luck.

Mr. C

Newly Enlightened
These lights do self-discharge at a trickle rate, so removing the batteries when not being used for a time is essential. Mag replaced mine after I let it sit unused too long, but they sent me the replacement with a warning that battery leakage wasn't covered... next time, I guess.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights do self-discharge at a trickle rate, so removing the batteries when not being used for a time is essential. Mag replaced mine after I let it sit unused too long, but they sent me the replacement with a warning that battery leakage wasn't covered... next time, I guess.

I don't think the Mini Mags have parasitic drain, though the Mags with the newer electronic switches like the XL50, Mag Tac, ML50, ML300 do have some drain which comes with territory with electronic switches (though with most you can prevent this drain if you lock them out be loosening the tail cap 1/4 turn or so). It is never a good idea to leave alkaline batteries in anything for more than a few days, because alkalines all leak eventually! Solution: switch to eneloops or other quality low self discharge NiMH's or Energizer ultimate lithiums: these won't leak and perform much better than alkalines.

Tesla

Enlightened
Well, I guess by your username we will have to agree to disagree I've Never had any luck with maglites, have owned many over the years both incan and LED, my fenix and olights are far superior products, don't care that they are made in China, never had a single issue with a fenix ,and I've owned at least 20-30 over the past 7 years, 1 olight has failed on me, but they replaced it with a newer model under the warranty.

Well, I own and have previously owned products from all three. I'm not sure what "many" maglites is in your case, but your anecdotal experience (or anyone on this forum, for that matter) is insignificant. Maglite outsells fenix and olight in the U.S. by a huge margin because their quality is very high and the price very low for U.S. made product. Your assertion that fenix is "far superior" is your opinion and everyone is welcome to one, but that does not make it fact. If Maglite quality were really a big issue, they wouldn't have had the longevity they have enjoyed. Try taking a fenix or olight down to a local store for a warranty issue sometime. You can't, but you can take any Maglite in if you have an issue.

I have no axe to grind with other brands. I own others, but the quality is good on Maglite on the whole.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I don't think the Mini Mags have parasitic drain, though the Mags with the newer electronic switches like the XL50, Mag Tac, ML50, ML300 do have some drain which comes with territory with electronic switches (though with most you can prevent this drain if you lock them out be loosening the tail cap 1/4 turn or so). It is never a good idea to leave alkaline batteries in anything for more than a few days, because alkalines all leak eventually! Solution: switch to eneloops or other quality low self discharge NiMH's or Energizer ultimate lithiums: these won't leak and perform much better than alkalines.
The twisty maglites ie ml 25 , mini maglites, solitaires and non electronic switches ie 2nd Gen maglite led 2 and 3 cell C/D lights do not have parasitic drain.

I have two of the 3 D cell mag leds in my trucks for over 5 years in cold and heat of North East USA and batteries still work (no leaks). There is no parasitic drain.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Also the mini maglite pro plus has increase lumen to 286. The Maglite website is having a sale on certain items and these are going for $15 in certain colors.

RonPauoMac

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone who owns a mini maglite pro has experienced this problem before. I own a black led mini maglite pro and the bulb module quit on me. I tried replacing the batteries. That didn't work. I also checked for corrosion and there was none present. Therefore, I think the bulb and its circuitry could have malfunctioned in some way. I don't really know how it failed, so I would like some input from anyone who uses mini maglites. By the way, It is my birthday today!
The problem with Maglite is a stainless steel spring in the base cap (aluminum). Corrosion is the problem when you connect stainless steel with aluminum and there is an electrolyte (alkaline batteries do leak some vapor) the aluminum will corrode. the aluminum builds up a whitish gray deposit (may not be powdery) between the stainless steel spring and the aluminum cap and it breaks the connection. Remove the bottom take out the coiled stainless steel spring and look closely at the inside of the bottom cap, greyish deposit, clean with vinegar and tooth brush, rinse well with demineralized water. dry thoroughly. Put spring back and carefully screw on bottom cap. Light should now work. I taught Corrosion Control for the US Air Force for 5 years. this is a common problem with aluminum flashlights, dissimilar metal contact will almost always cause corrosion on the aluminum and the corrosion breaks the circuit. May have to do this every time it stops working. It is a design problem.