Olight S1R Baton Vs. Olight S10R Baton III

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I need some help narrowing down my choices. I want a small, rechargeable light to clip on my cap for night hikes. I am just having a heck of a time choosing between the Olight S1R Baton and the Olight S10R Baton III. At first glance, both look pretty similar to one another. I simply want a light that I can recharge, clip on my cap, and go on night hikes. Which of these is more suitable for that task?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Okay, I need some help narrowing down my choices. I want a small, rechargeable light to clip on my cap for night hikes. I am just having a heck of a time choosing between the Olight S1R Baton and the Olight S10R Baton III. At first glance, both look pretty similar to one another. I simply want a light that I can recharge, clip on my cap, and go on night hikes. Which of these is more suitable for that task?
It's hard to say what your personal preference would be. The S1R has an optic instead of a reflector, resulting in a wide, even hotspot, and not much spill to speak of. The S10R-III has a more conventional beam pattern. I think some people might say the S1R is a bit better for indoors and short-range use, but both of these lights are fairly floody because of their size.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S10R II

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-s10r-ii.html

http://www.olightstore.com/led-flashlights/camping-outdoor/olight-s10r-ii-baton

I see that Battery Junction has a deal right now, but it is actually the Olight S10R II. I suspect that for hiking, this still might be quite suitable for me. It looks like it drops down to 300 lumens after four minutes on high.

I was about to take advantage of that deal until I saw all of the reviews reporting repeated failures. About 42% on eBay. I'll probably pass on this light. Some also commented that the clip is too tight for anything except thin brimmed hats. My hats often have thicker brims.

Bummer.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

I was about to take advantage of that deal until I saw all of the reviews reporting repeated failures. About 42% on eBay. I'll probably pass on this light. Some also commented that the clip is too tight for anything except thin brimmed hats. My hats often have thicker brims.

Bummer.

I have two S10R-IIs, and those need very regular maintenance (disassembling, cleaning, reassembling of the tailcap) to function reliably. Better steer clear.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

Personally I find the beam from the TIR lens on the S1 much more attractive than the conventional reflector on the S10, the differences already described by oKtosiTe. That TIR beam is awesome.