Fenix HL60R

colight

Enlightened
I have not seen many posts on this headlamp. Does anybody else have one, and what are your opinions of it?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best thread for information is here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-HL60R-950-Neutral-White-Lumen-USB-Recharging

I considered buying this light in November as I needed a backup 18650 headlamp for an ultra event and I'm currently using the HL55. After checking out the UI, I decided to get a second HL55 as I don't find the UI of the HL60 practical for my use and I'm not really interested in USB charging in flashlights or headlamp. Magnetic charging would be a different story... This is my own choice of course, it's not necessarily a bad light!

It does have a red light compared to the HL55 which is a plus. I hope when they update the HL55 they add red lights but use the same UI of the HL35!

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
Yes.

I like most things about it: the UI, the brightness, the beam profile, USB recharging, self-contained (no separate battery pack). The tint is on the cool side, and I'm torn on that - it tends to wash things out. I'm also rather used to it, it's pretty close to the Gemini units I've been using for about 5 years.

The red lights: so far, meh. I use this lamp daily, and the red leds are just one more click in the way on the UI. Maybe I'll find that they are very useful for something in the future. For now, not so much.

The weight: not that bad, and really not noticeable in use. I've used older Petzl and Black Diamond, as well as a couple models from Gemini. Yes, it's heavier than the BD and Petzl. Do I care? Not so much. The headband is pretty comfortable, and that likely offsets the weight issue; I certainly like the "clicky" nature of the up-down angle adjustment much better than an infinitely adjustable smooth version.

My wife has a current vintage ZebraLight. I like the UI and beam profile of the Fenix much better; the size and weight of the ZL are better; the potential for programming the modes on the ZL is certainly more flexible.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them to my ability.

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
Yes.

I like most things about it: the UI, the brightness, the beam profile, USB recharging, self-contained (no separate battery pack).

The red lights: so far, meh. I use this lamp daily, and the red leds are just one more click in the way on the UI. Maybe I'll find that they are very useful for something in the future. For now, not so much.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them to my ability.

Update: I now like the red leds. They provide a near perfect level of light for extended time in the snow. I spent yesterday evening shoveling my long driveway, and the red was great. Easy on the eyes, no glare, and little battery drain for spending 4 hours working.

Again, after 4 hours, the light was still perfectly comfortable, and the weight was not an issue at all.

hahoo

Enlightened
It is quite heavy compared to a lot of other 18650 powered headlamps.

:laughing::laughing: yeah 5 ounces is a real neck breaker...get in the gym man...
what do you want, 1000 lumens and 1 ounce ?
so silly to even say this...

Last edited:

proceed5

Enlightened
HL60R : I like the tint from that NW LED. But if I could turn back time to the point before paying for the HL60R, I would have gone for the HL55.

Last edited:

ToddM

Enlightened
I've had this for a few days now and have been pretty impressed. One thing I did do was put diffuser on the lens to widen out the beam, it's a good mixed use beam now, probably about perfect for hiking etc. but I'm usually using it working on the truck etc. so wide and bright is good. I was worried it might be heavy but I don't really notice it on my head, but i do use the over the top strap as well and it stays in place very well but again I'm not running etc. with it on. I'd say I have three areas that I'm interested to see how they perform over time. The first is the angle adjustment, when it first arrived it was very tight and after only a few days it's loosened up quite a bit. It appears to be just the interlocking of the knurling on the light body and plastic strap holder. Hopefully over time this doesn't become too sloppy to hold it's adjustment. The second is the main switch, the rubber covering feels very thin so over time we'll see how it wears. The last is the micro usb charging port cover, almost every device I've had that tries to put a rubber cover over a micro USB the cover never stays in place especially after a few uses.

Overall I think it's a good light, I'd still been using a couple petzl lights because they were simple and had a slide up diffuser that allowed spot/flood use, however I really hate the lack of regulation. So while bigger and heavier I really like that this light will output a regulated ~4 hours at 400 lumens and ~13 hours at 150 lumens (3400 mah cell). I didn't pay much more than the HL55, but I think I'd be just as happy with that model. I wouldn't miss the red led's or the built in charging. That said I could see both of those features being nice for traveling/camping.

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
As far as I see, not to offense anyone, the weight comes with the output, plus the cold resistant structure. Actually, when you wear it on your head, you don't really notice the weight. Anyway, I think it is a pretty reliable headlamp.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine solely to be used mounted to my mountain bike helmet. I did notice the weight when added to my helmet since it was like weightless, you get used to it nearly instantly though. The weight really just makes it feel like a nice solid light. Performance wise it goes nicely with my handle bar mounted BT20. So nice to be able to look to the side when riding through the woods at night. Can get pretty creepy out there. The red seems like an after thought. The red beam is full of nasty artifacts but while I've seen much brighter red lights it is probably more appropriate for adjusted eyes. The UI is about as simple as it gets. The single click from off to blink is a little annoying but you get used to it. Does seem hard to justify over the HL55 but I think the HL60R is a better bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Latest posts