RIP GREG LAKE- 11.10.1947 TO 12.7.2016

Capolini

Banned

RIP GREG LAKE:11.10.1947 TO 12.7.2016.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ONLY CARL PALMER REMAINS.

MY VERY FIRST ALBUM WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD,,,,,"TARKUS"!!! LOVED THE COVER THAT IS WHY I CHOSE IT,THEN THE MUSIC THAT FOLLOWED WAS UNIQUE TO MY EARS AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THAT ALBUM. HAVING TWO OLDER BROTHERS "HELPED" ME BECOME EXPERIENCED!

images

The trio considered bringing a full-time guitarist into the fold – Lake was pulling double duty on bass and guitar – but, according to the book Legends of Rock Guitar, the only musician they all agreed could keep up with them was Jimi Hendrix and their acrynomic name would then become "HELP."

^^^^^^^^^

I REMEMBER READING THIS ABOUT 35 YEARS AGO IN ONE OF MY HENDRIX BOOKS. IF THAT WOULD HAVE MATERIALIZED THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST ROCK/JAZZ FUSION BAND OF ALL TIME.AS IT TURNED OUT THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT US WITH WHAT THEY EVENTUALLY BECAME AND CREATED!:thumbsup:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucky Man, the sound of my youth. I was hooked on Tarkus and used to ride my desk around the classroom sticking rulers in it. I think you had to be there.
I never envisaged a time when my heros would be passsing away.
P

Capolini

Banned
YESTERDAY ON 93.3 WMMR IN PHIL-AHHH-DELPHIA I HEARD PIERRE ROBERT SAY THAT GREGG LAKE "WROTE LUCKY MAN" WHEN HE WAS 12 YEARS OLD!

FOR A TWELVE YEAR OLD BOY TO WRITE A SONG WITH SUCH "DEPTH" IS SIMPLY AMAZING!

I HAVE BEEN WRITING POEMS AND PHILOSOPHICAL QUOTES SINCE I WAS 18. I TRULY APPRECIATE HIS TALENT AND GIFT OF BEING A CREATIVE GENIUS.
:thanks:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another vote for Lucky Man.

Back when they toured regularly my brother would always catch the closest show. He still talks about those and (pre- Michael McDonald) Doobie Brothers shows. Oh, and Yes... he is a big fan of them too.

RIP Greg.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
They were one of the early adopters of the mighty Moog synthesizer. One of the things that caught my attention was the soaring Moog riffs at the end of Lucky Man.

Capolini

Banned
They were one of the early adopters of the mighty Moog synthesizer. One of the things that caught my attention was the soaring Moog riffs at the end of Lucky Man.

Yes they[Keith Emerson/ELP] were!! Rick Wakemen[YES] was another one.

We also can not forget Jan Hammer from Mahavishnu orchestra."BIRDS OF FIRE" is still one of my all time favorite albums,was listening to that[and still am!] when I was 12 thanks to older brothers!

They[Jan Hammer/Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman] are the "INNOVATORS" of the Moog and the Three best in my book!

I learned some things I did not know:

During the writing sessions for the next Strawbs album, Wakeman resumed session work to help pay for his new home in West Harrow.[31] He bought a Minimoog synthesizer at half price from actor Jack Wild, who thought that it was defective because it only played one note at a time!

In the 1972 Melody Maker readers' poll, Wakeman ranked second in the Top Keyboardist category behind Keith Emerson.[