Don't need more lights, but . . . (advise wanted on 2,000+ Lumens lights)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than enough lights already so I can save money by not buying any more of them, however I receive E-Mails from Battery Junction with specials and was looking at the Klarus G20 and G30.

G30
Interesting light, uses 3 x 18650 which is a lot of battery power, can get really good run times. Great price on special.
BUT - checked reviews and the UI sounds a bit rubbish (or at least not to my liking).
If I'm going to spend money on a new light (that I don't even need) then I don't think I should buy a light just because it costs less than other lights of similar style/performance.
Now I'm considering a Nitecore P36 which uses the same emitter, has similar output, has a much better UI and is a brand that I've had good personal experience with. Also the 2 x 18650 works a bit better for me as I have 4 spare Panasonic 3,400mAh cells that I can use.
Are they any other ~2,000 lumens lights that I should also consider?

G20
3k lumens, wow!
I have a couple of 26650 IMR cells that need a use and this light has some appeal.
BUT - the G20 comes with another 26650 cell so I'd be paying more money to get a battery I don't need.
Also - a 2 x 18650 light has 6,800mAh in there, much better in terms of battery power.
Any other lights around 3,000 lumens that I should look into instead?

Currently my highest output LED lights are putting out around 1,000 lumens which TBH is pretty bright and all that I really need. But this isn't about need is it!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholics, I believe, necessarily have cognative dissonance. A flashlight is a utility, a tool. It has a purpose. But collecting is a thing. So it isn't just you... we are drawn to the utility, but we are often collectors, curators of our own collection. So there is this sort of battle going on in our hearts, we like that shiney bright useful thing, even though we are already covered usually many times over in our need for auxiliary portable lighting. Nevertheless, anything new will make a nice addition to our collection.

Life is short. Follow your bliss.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
KiWiMark, check out the Manker MK34. ~4500 lumens with Nichia 219b ~92CRI LEDs. Quite small for 3x 18650.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I own the g20 and it is not 3000 lumens as tests by some members on this forum have proven. The 26650 propitary cell is needed for the usb charging. Other cells are incompatible if i do remember.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Flashaholics, I believe, necessarily have cognative dissonance. A flashlight is a utility, a tool. It has a purpose. But collecting is a thing. So it isn't just you... we are drawn to the utility, but we are often collectors, curators of our own collection. So there is this sort of battle going on in our hearts, we like that shiney bright useful thing, even though we are already covered usually many times over in our need for auxiliary portable lighting. Nevertheless, anything new will make a nice addition to our collection.

Life is short. Follow your bliss.

what he said

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
KiWiMark, check out the Manker MK34. ~4500 lumens with Nichia 219b ~92CRI LEDs. Quite small for 3x 18650.

Yes, I've seen that one in reviews - quite an interesting beast (it really looks like a beast).
I'm not sure it's something I want, but it definitely has some Lumens pouring out at its max output. Not so much a thrower but certainly a spectacular flooder.
The UI doesn't look too bad, no real negatives that I can see.

My highest output light puts out ~7,000 Lumens with >92CRI, but it is an incandescent monster that only gets 10-15 minutes from 8 x 18650 cells and can't run for more than 5 minutes continuously due to heat build up. The Manker would be a LOT more practical than my crazy firestarter.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the g20 and it is not 3000 lumens as tests by some members on this forum have proven. The 26650 propitary cell is needed for the usb charging. Other cells are incompatible if i do remember.

I think the G20 is more like 2,200 Lumens (according to the reviews on this forum) and the cell is not so much proprietary but needs to be a high amperage capable cell, at least if I understand correctly. I don't mind 2,200 Lumens though I would prefer the figures provided by the manufacturer were accurate instead of exaggerated.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
I love the g30 it's a great compact flooder with goot runtimes
But the best thing about it that it's highest setting isn't just a burst mode that after few minutes step down it's dose it for at least an hour before it step down to 900lm
A lot of flashlight today has 2000lm but just a few can realy hold it for some time

Connor

Enlightened
KiwiMark, the MK34 is really smaller than expected, just literally a hand full. IMHO it's a little bit too heavy to be EDC suitable, though.
The interface is quite nice, direct access to low/turbo and adjustable low/moonlight mode. The "long press for off" took a bit getting used to.
The light has more throw than I expected thanks to the TIR optics but otherwise it's an insane wall of light with almost 180° spread.

I also like that it takes Sanyo NCR18650GAs in 3P configuration (excellent capacity and much safer).

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still thinking about treating myself to a new light or two and just can't see the point in buying another ~1,000 lumen light. If I'm gonna spend some money I want something that stands out from what I already have. I'm thinking ~2,000 lumens or better combined with something that attracts me to the light over and above that output.

I've already ruled out the G30 for a few reasons including the UI not being to my liking, just not gonna spend good money for a light that has a UI that I don't like. I'm a bit doubtful on the G20 as well.

I'm gonna put the Nitecore P36 on my wish list and keep an eye out for a good special, looks like a real nice light with a true output at least close to 2,000 lumens.

That Manker MK34 is a maybe, I'll put it near the top of my list of lights to buy if I decide I want a monster flooder with huge lumens.

I'm putting the Acebeam K70 on my list for a light to buy if I decide I want an impressive thrower.

Looking at the Convoy L6 XHP70 - this looks like a pretty decent light for the money, maybe worth buying. At less than half the price of the P36 and putting out well over 3,000 lumens and having a neutral white option - I'm having trouble justifying not owning this light!

DMS1970

Enlightened
I pass over the g20 and g30 I had a 30 and hate the UI. Push and hold to turn off just plain sucks.

i haven't seen any mention yet of the Olight R50. I have the seeker, and also want the pro. 3200 floody (pro) 2500 throwier (seeker). Completely different charging methods, great lights. If your an Acebeam fan, the EC50 and EC60 are similar in flavour to the olights.

Vihn also mods the Olight and the Acebeam for pushing the limits performance if that tickles your fancy.

not sure about acebeam, but the olights are available on some group buys. PM me if you don't know what I'm talking about.

The Manker MK34 looks really interesting to me, as it is pretty close in form factor to the zebralight s6330 which was an absolute gem. The only popcan light I consider pocketable (I'm not talking EDC, but handy enough).

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
If you want something with a bit of unique wow to it then I'd recommend the Acebeam EC60. It is 2,000 lumens and throws out to 600 meters in a single 26650 size form factor. beyond these things, I would say it's more reliable than the Klarus lights as well as better build quality, much better UI. This light is not so much a dedicated thrower as it is just a standard type beam profile with really excellent throw as well. Also Acebeam EC50 V2 if you want something more strictly flood.

My personal second recommendation would be Olight R50 or R50 Pro. Also you can get Vinh versions of these lights from Skylumen.com which all have increased output. With the EC60VN, you'd probably be looking at buying a higher amp 26650 in order to keep up with the amperage draw of that light.

yeah, though I'd probably steer clear of Klarus for the mentioned lights. I have both of them and they're just not all that fun.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered a Convoy L6 (nw version) since we are talking about sixty bucks for a 3,500+ Lumens light.

I saw a video review where the cons mentioned were that you might need to buy batteries and charger for those that don't have 26650 cells, lol - I got all the chargers I need for any size I could buy and own all sorts of Li-Ion cells including 32650 and definitely a few 26650 cells.

If you want something with a bit of unique wow to it then I'd recommend the Acebeam EC60. It is 2,000 lumens and throws out to 600 meters in a single 26650 size form factor. beyond these things, I would say it's more reliable than the Klarus lights as well as better build quality, much better UI. This light is not so much a dedicated thrower as it is just a standard type beam profile with really excellent throw as well.

Also you can get Vinh versions of these lights from Skylumen.com which all have increased output. With the EC60VN, you'd probably be looking at buying a higher amp 26650 in order to keep up with the amperage draw of that light.

Well, that was an expensive post to read!
I now have an Acebeam EC60 (5000k neutral white version) on the way from Skylumen.com and am grateful I got out of that site with only the one purchase, it could have been hundreds of dollars worse!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP congratulations on the extremely wise pick of the L6!!! Love mine!! Hope you were able to get the proper short Keeppower protected 5200mah 26650's for it. I had to start out with the older just over 72mm 5200mah protected Keeppowers. Such a tight fit that the positive ends of the cells got indented and the light would have some slight shorting issues at high levels. Now its all good with the short version of the same cell. Illumn carries them but is currently sold out. The L6 is so bright to my eyes on max output it is at times painful to look at. Almost never use max lol.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP congratulations on the extremely wise pick of the L6!!! Love mine!! Hope you were able to get the proper short Keeppower protected 5200mah 26650's for it. I had to start out with the older just over 72mm 5200mah protected Keeppowers. Such a tight fit that the positive ends of the cells got indented and the light would have some slight shorting issues at high levels. Now its all good with the short version of the same cell. Illumn carries them but is currently sold out. The L6 is so bright to my eyes on max output it is at times painful to look at. Almost never use max lol.

The more lights I looked at they more the L6 looked like one of the best value lights of its type, definitely good bang for your buck with this light.
I found some Skilhunt 5500mAh protected cells that are under 70mm long so I ordered a couple of those.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Convoy L6 arrived, wow that sucker is bright!
This is a really nicely made light, well worth the sixty buck IMO.

My Acebeam from Skylumen has cleared customs so will be here during the start of next week, that's two new lights by Christmas.

I've ordered two more Convoy lights - a C8 with clear anodising (I don't have any lights with clear anodising so that's something different) in neutral tint and also a BD04 zoomable light with 600 real lumens.

I received a Meco zoomable light and quite like it but want a better zoomable light that doesn't have the couple of negatives that annoy me with the Meco.
The Meco light is probably worth what I paid, but when you pay under ten bucks you are getting what is clearly a budget light.
It claims 2,000 lumens but delivers somewhere around a couple of hundred, quite usable but more is always nice to have.
The UI seems to be really messed up, every time I turn it on it is one mode along in the sequence, that is really annoying and makes me not want to use the light.