Tritium replacement?

jdboy

Enlightened
Anyone have any suggestions on how to replace 3 of the tritium vials located in the bezel of my Reylight Tri-Ti? The light was pulled from my pocket while I removing my tool pouch and it landed on the concrete cracking 3 of the vials. I didn't even know they were cracked until last night. That's when I noticed 3 of the vials had gone dark. Any help would be appreciated as I really like my little Tri-Ti.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming they were installed with Norland61, its not too hard to remove them - especially if you're not trying to salvage the fragile glass tube. Just go at it with a small pick, like a dental pick or something. It'll generally all turn loose with a bit of pursuasion. If its giving you a lot of trouble try adding some heat, but it probably won't require it.

jdboy

Enlightened
I was able to get the broken tubes out and have ordered replacements along with some Norland. I also ordered a Nitecore Tube UV and was wandering if this is going to be enough to cure the Norland?

bulrush

Newly Enlightened
Curing glue with UV usually requires a very specific wavelength of UV light. Check the tube of Norland for the requirement, then check the output wavelength of the UV light you bought. The wavelength will be in nanometers (nm). If the difference between what the Norland glue requires and the UV light produces is less than 10nm, give it a try.

jdboy

Enlightened
Curing glue with UV usually requires a very specific wavelength of UV light. Check the tube of Norland for the requirement, then check the output wavelength of the UV light you bought. The wavelength will be in nanometers (nm). If the difference between what the Norland glue requires and the UV light produces is less than 10nm, give it a try.

The Tube UV is the specific wavelength required but at the time I didn't know if it needed to be a certain brightness to be effective. Turns out it worked fine to give a good initial set.

You can cure it with sunlight, just takes longer.

This is what I done to make sure the Norland was fully cured after using the Tube UV to make the initial set.