Temperature related Arc4+ Phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Newly Enlightened
Last night I left my Arc4+ (2nd) sitting on my dresser, and at 3 AM I awoke and noticed it
flashing as if in 'find me' mode, only much dimmer than even level 16. I removed the battery
thinking I had managed to put it in some odd mode while testing all the various functions, but in
the morning when I re-inserted the battery, the same thing occurred.

I put it in my pocket, and checked it again when I got to work and the flashing had stopped.
I stuck it on my dresser again this afternoon before going to the gym, and when I returned
from the gym, there was my Arc4+ flashing ever so dimly on my dresser. As soon as I pick
it up and cupped my hand around the barrel to get a closer look the muted flashing began
to fade - and then stopped.

I immediately suspected temperature as the culprit, so I stuck the flashlight in the freezer for
a couple of minutes, and sure enough, the phantom 'find me' flash was back! So far it seems
to be a highly reproducible effect.

Has anyone else noticed this?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargable related Arc4+ Phenomenon?

I've been using a stack of two Tyson TY-1/5A-400ma Ni-Mh batteries. After dropping in new set and tightening the barrel, I'm in the dim setting like a triple click. Double clicking does nothing, turn off/on a few times, double clicking again works and I have normal operation again. This has happened a few times already. Sort-of like it takes a while for the Arc4+ to realize it's a fresh battery installed.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rechargable related Arc4+ Phenomenon?

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
. . . Sort-of like it takes a while for the Arc4+ to realize it's a fresh battery insatlled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it is thinking about it, as a matter of fact. Suggestion -- instead of pushing the button, set it down, let it think, and watch it. Let it talk to you by putting on a short RFS light show. Then you can push the buttons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Temperature related Arc4+ Phenomenon?

Trurl,

You could call Arc. I had a problem with an Arc4+ that was a little like yours. I called Arc. They gave me some suggestions to fix it and said to call back if that didn't help. It didn't help; I called back; and they said to send it back -- they'll exchange it for a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Paul

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
. . . Sort-of like it takes a while for the Arc4+ to realize it's a fresh battery insatlled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it is thinking about it, as a matter of fact. Suggestion -- instead of pushing the button, set it down, let it think, and watch it. Let it talk to you by putting on a short RFS light show. Then you can push the buttons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]
I have the RFS turned off. Unless when RFS is turned off, it still thinks it out but doesn't flash? Just a guess! I forgot to add that it'll shut off like a bad contact or dead battery too. In fact, I changed batteries thinking they were dead but in-fact reinstalled them for a short time and they were almost dead. Just wonder if this just a rechargable battery quirk.

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened

Handy indicator to watch for ice on road? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
. . . it still thinks it out but doesn't flash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that's the way it works. It does take time to boot up, although I don't know what that time is -- certainly less than 15 seconds. If it works normally after that amount of time after inserting battery, then you should be okay.

Paul

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

bill: even with the RFS turned off, everytime the light is resetted (by disconnecting the battery from the light for a certain amount of time), the light will run a sort of diagnostic on a battery that is installed. it is perfectly normal, and is described in the arc4 faq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: i just checked the arc4 advanced faq, and its not described there. however i do recall someone describing this function, and its comopletely normal.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
edit: i just checked the arc4 advanced faq, and its not described there. however i do recall someone describing this function, and its comopletely normal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Glad you mentioned this because I don't remember reading that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
bill: even with the RFS turned off, everytime the light is resetted (by disconnecting the battery from the light for a certain amount of time), the light will run a sort of diagnostic on a battery that is installed. it is perfectly normal, and is described in the arc4 faq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I just did it twice. I went between a DuraCell and two rechargables. Light comes on dim and shuts off. Turn it back on in the normal way and it works normally.

I guess clicking while it's in that dim thinking mode confuses the Arc4+ and me too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That should be in the FAQ that when RFS is off, light comes on dim and then shuts off.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i agree...i hope peter reads this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif in addition i noticed its not necessary to completely unscrew the battery pack and remove the battery for 120 seconds to reset the light, like the arc faq describes. backing off the battery pack so the light can't turn on and leaving it that way for less than a minute resets the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trurl

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
I've been using a stack of two Tyson TY-1/5A-400ma Ni-Mh batteries. After dropping in new set and tightening the barrel, I'm in the dim setting like a triple click. Double clicking does nothing, turn off/on a few times, double clicking again works and I have normal operation again. This has happened a few times already. Sort-of like it takes a while for the Arc4+ to realize it's a fresh battery installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the effect I am seeing. The barely visible 'find me' flash begins at approximately 68 Deg. F, and
by 59 Deg. F it is probably half or 1/3 the brightness of level 16. I have not tested any lower temperatures
to see if it continues to increase in brightness. The software version is 123.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
This is not the effect I am seeing. The barely visible 'find me' flash begins at approximately 68 Deg. F, and
by 59 Deg. F it is probably half or 1/3 the brightness of level 16. I have not tested any lower temperatures
to see if it continues to increase in brightness. The software version is 123.

[/ QUOTE ]

Confirmed with 0836 V 130 as well. Warming in hand abates effect slowly. Flash rate is unchanged as brightness fades. Placed back on night stand and flashing will return. Level is extrememly low. It reminds me of a firefly (the insect not the light! See below) that is flashing dimly when not aroused.

firefly.jpg

I suspect that it's a state of WFI (Waiting For Input) as you must remember that the Arc 4 circuit is ALWAYS on and connected to the battery.

I wonder what the quiescent state draw is? Probably only a few micro amperes but interesting nonetheless.

I hope it's not a defect. The tint on this one is pretty good and the reflector is perfect, etc.

Mine also sings as well. See the RF thread for more information. I will be posting some sounds later today with explanations.

ALL Arc 4 users should check their lights. If the light has been sitting down and not carried around, hold the output side up to your eye and tell us what you see!

Cheers!

Trurl

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mine also sings as well. See the RF thread for more information. I will be posting some sounds later today with explanations.

ALL Arc 4 users should check their lights. If the light has been sitting down and not carried around, hold the output side up to your eye and tell us what you see!

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to check the singing out this afternoon.

If the phantom locator flash is a defect I consider it a pretty cool one - makes the Arc4 akin to the
Freman crysknife from Dune - keep it close to your body or it will eventually deteriorate - and never
bring it out unless you plan on using it.

Trurl

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is a side effect of having the RFS feature enabled. I disabled RFS and now the light is mute.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharkeeper,

I changed the Ready For Service toggle, too, and that stopped the phantom flash. Nice to know
it's controllable

Trurl

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jarhead said:
So Trurl, if I understand you correctly, if you disable the RFS, the issue goes away completely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it no longer flashes due to a drop in temperature when the RFS is disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.