Need recommendations for headlight bulbs

maxum3300

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I was searching for 9007 headlight bulbs when I ran across this forum. I recently wired my DRL lights on my Hummer H2 to stay on while the headlights are on and replaced the 3157 halogen bulbs with 6000K 3157 LED bulbs. I also replaced the 9007 halogens with LED bulbs as well but took them out the next day because the LED drivers caused an RF interference that caused my radio to lose all reception. After searching the Internet for several days I found this to be a common problem with no real solution so I returned the LED bulbs and began a search for a comparable halogen. After reading some positive reviews and falling for the hype I bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstone zxe 9007 bulbs. Although they are very white they don't match the 6000k LEDs in my DRLS. My LED DRLs have a hint of blue. Is there any halogen bulbs on the market that will match the color of my 6000K LED DRLs?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hello all, I was searching for 9007 headlight bulbs

The best ones are these or these, with no preference between those two.

I recently wired my DRL lights on my Hummer H2 to stay on while the headlights are on

This wasn't a good idea.

replaced the 3157 halogen bulbs with 6000K 3157 LED bulbs

This was probably a very bad idea (unsafe/illegal), depending on what exact LED bulbs you put in -- there is only one on the market that works adequately well, and then only in certain lamps. It's this one.

I also replaced the 9007 halogens with LED bulbs

Extra super bad idea.

but took them out the next day

Extra super good idea.

because the LED drivers caused an RF interference

Not to mention putting out a completely unsafe light distribution.

I bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstone zxe 9007 bulbs

Another bad idea. See here, and then bear in mind that the ZXE doesn't even pretend to put out more light than a standard bulb (it puts out much less due to the dark blue glass).

they don't match the 6000k LEDs

Halogen and LED lights never match. They're not supposed to. Trying to make halogens look like LEDs can only result in severely inadequate, unsafe, illegal lighting.

If you want to make your headlamps work a LOT better and get the LED look, then put in (real) LED headlamps. The best ones are the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 units in chrome or black, but less expensive good ones are the Peterson and the Truck-Lite. Any of these will fit right in your H2, you'll just need a pair of these plug connectors.

(And of course you will have to have the new lamps aimed correctly)

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading some positive reviews and falling for the hype I bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstone zxe 9007 bulbs. Although they are very white they don't match the 6000k LEDs in my DRLS. My LED DRLs have a hint of blue. Is there any halogen bulbs on the market that will match the color of my 6000K LED DRLs?
Considering that having your DRLs and your headlamps on at the same time is not a good idea, noöne would ever know they don't match. And because a filament lamp has a particular SPD and CCT, the ways bulbmakers attempt to get beyond about 3450K is by tinting the bulb blue. Tinted bulbs might start to look a littlemore like LED or HID lamps, but it's a poor approximation that only costs you lighting performance.

Yep, there's a lot of hype behind the SilverStar line. Hype sells!