Looking for inexpensive but rugged 1AA two mode light

mbw_151

Enlightened
I need a present for camping for my grandsons, 8 and 10 years old. The light needs to be inexpensive because it will likely be lost. It needs to be rugged because the boys are boys and hard on stuff. The light needs to be simple, just high and low. Low needs reasonably long runtime but bright enough to read or play cards in a tent. I'm thinking the NiteIze Inova X1 but looking for anything comparable. Thoughts?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the X1 would be a good choice. The lanyard hole on the X1 is big enough for a piece of paracord and if you use brightly colored cord, it's a little harder to lose.

revscott

Newly Enlightened
Maybe Pelican 2350 or Fenix E12

Both under $30
Both simple
Both have low and high (fenix has an extra medium mode)
Both durable

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
JetBeam Jet-1 for $13.39

AA/14500. Twisty. Three modes. Nothing is perfect.

Gearbest has a number of no-name but really inexpensive AA flashlights.

Single-mode and 3-mode are far easier to find than dual mode, unfortunately.

I just got several of these to give away but I will be keeping a few too,they are just really nice for $13.

There is also a 1/4" threaded tailcap and you can lash them to the kids against being lost if you want to?

mbw_151

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. After checking my local suppliers, I picked up two of the Fenix E12s at REI. It's a nice light, reminds me of my old L1D but not quite as complicated. I tied a glow in the dark para-cord lanyard for each light. It will be interesting to watch their post Christmas fates.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. After checking my local suppliers, I picked up two of the Fenix E12s at REI. It's a nice light, reminds me of my old L1D but not quite as complicated. I tied a glow in the dark para-cord lanyard for each light. It will be interesting to watch their post Christmas fates.

Well... we all have a different definition of "inexpensive." You probably should have specified "under $X" amount, and you would have received a wider range of suggestions, such as a Thrunite T10, ~$22. Fenix produces a very nice product, IMO, with constant current circuits and, again IMO, uses the purest white "cool white" LEDs of any manufacturer I can think of. Though I prefer reflectors to optics, and a neutral white high CRI emitter, I absolutely can stand Fenix's cool white. Nice choice.