110 volt a/c flashlight

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for an easy project. I am thinking about finding a very small 12 volt lead acid batt and mating it with a small 12 volt-110 a/c inverter (the smallest, cheapest). I would also need a flashlight with a deep reflector so I could install a standard 5-7 watt flouresant (were`s that spill-keker) bulb, the type you see to replace light bulbs in the house (the skinny type) and a body big enough to house the parts. I want to keep the cost to a minimum and the parts easy to find. Any thoughts?

Brock

Flashaholic
It sounds possible, but I would suggest getting a compact fluorescent lantern and modify that somehow to use a reflector. It already runs on 4 D cell batteries and has it's own step up converter and it pretty bright. It would be nice to have the lamp somehow focused.

Hey does anyone remember seeing a fluorescent headlamp? I remember reading about one about a year ago that was based on the CCFT lamp and was really bright, but I can't remember where I saw it now. I thought it was something on the order of 250 lumens and ran on lithium cells.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to keep price low, have a look at an osram one, which runs for about two hours on two AA cells. Should be about 4 to 5 watts. I will look for the data sheet.

This one could be easily converted to a rechargeable light...

Bye,

phantomas2002

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of them little Osram lights- nice and bright and compact too, one of my favourite fluorescents.
It`s late here now ad I`ve just finished writing a web page on Luxeon LEDs (see another new thread) but tomorrow I`ll take/post a pic and some details to see how easy you could disembowel one and fit it into a lantern`s reflector. Should be quite simple to do- nice idea you had there.

tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

rs model# 61-853. mine works well but i only get a little over an hour runtime with rayovac nimh. the eveready arc-white's tube kicks butt and is a better overall light im my opinion, 12$ osram vs 17$ arc-white. my 1.5 cents.

Ken, sounds like a cool (albeit heavy) idea.

What about one of those big aluminum reflectors like photographers use? Usually find them at Walmart with a spring clamp for a few bucks...

I recently bought a compact fl. bulb that puts out 100w at walmart for $8. That'd be a pretty decent portable worklight.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by franken:
rs model# 61-853. mine works well but i only get a little over an hour runtime with rayovac nimh. the eveready arc-white's tube kicks butt and is a better overall light im my opinion, 12$ osram vs 17$ arc-white. my 1.5 cents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got that 61-853 too, and it
pulls 610mah!-I also like my $16. Wallymart Arc-White much better than the R.S.(I measured it drawing only 300mah)..