Best H7 bulb for vision?

martinweber

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I haven't found on the forum much about new bulbs NB Laser and RacingVision. So far, I have found that OSRAM is brighter and color temp is higher ''more white''. I do not care about style or price of product. I want best visibility of road. My car is projector headlights BMW E60. Also, is truly OSRAM 65W H7 Rally better than those two in visibility? I'm just afraid of faster wearing of projector lens becouse of higher wattage.

Thank you!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

The Philips RacingVision is currently in the lead (even ahead of the Osram "Laser")-- it's a "+150" bulb. I'd pick it over the 65W Osram bulb, myself.

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
Is there a difference in what the H7 bulb is installed in? I mean, projector vs. reflector, or is a superior bulb a superior bulb?

I'm guessing that a low-quality housing could mess with the alignment and hinder the performance even of the best bulb, but in my particular application, my headlights are OEM (Volvo V70, imported OEMs so they use H7 bulbs instead of H11s).

Sadden

Enlightened
Aim
Bulb Quality
Headlamp Quality
Wiring Quality

All must work together for the best results. But yes poorer quality headlamps will impair even the best bulbs.

Doubt you will have any issues with your Volvo so long as they are for the correct direction of traffic. LHT vs RHT

Ceilidh

Newly Enlightened
I was about to put my order in for a replacement set of Osram Rallye 65w H7 bulbs, but then saw:

The Philips RacingVision is currently in the lead (even ahead of the Osram "Laser")-- it's a "+150" bulb. I'd pick it over the 65W Osram bulb, myself.

Would you know if the RacingVision and Rallye bulbs have similar design lifespans? If they've comparable longevity, I'll follow your guidance and look for some RacingVisions (the Osram Rallye 65w has been working great in my Golf, but I'm always open to improvements).

Many thanks, and all best for 2017!
-C

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Rallye 65w bulb will tend to last longer than the RacingVision.

tybrad

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I have already read through martin's related question but mine is one of comparison to what I have, along with a couple of questions for the group so please bear with me:D

I am messing with my low beams, tryin' to find the best look for my ride.
I currently have 100w 6000K's in. I am finding that 100w is NOT ~45% brighter than 55w (bulb-for-same-make bulb)- why not? :confused: I do like the very slightly bluer-than-white look that I currently follow from my driver's seat.

Which of these would be perceptively brighter on the road?

Thanks for shedding some light here for me :grin2:

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hey,
I have already read through martin's related question but mine is one of comparison to what I have, along with a couple of questions for the group so please bear with me:D

Welcome to the board. You already found a recent, active thread on your same question (basically, "What's the best H7 bulb?"); that -- and not a new thread -- is the right place to put your question, so it's been moved here.

I am messing with my low beams, tryin' to find the best look for my ride.

No. They're life safety equipment, not fashion accessories.

I currently have 100w 6000K's in

Take them out before you finish damaging your headlamps and the headlamp circuit of your car and/or cause a crash. At least one of these things will happen sooner or later if you keep running these illegal, unsafe bulbs.

I am finding that 100w is NOT ~45% brighter than 55w (bulb-for-same-make bulb)- why not?

Several reasons: (1) Wattage is not a measure of intensity or brightness, (2) you are dinking around with poorly-made bulb-shaped trinkets advertised with lies like "6000K" (3) blue glass blocks most of the light that would reach the road if the glass were clear (4) your car's wiring isn't adequate to feed high-wattage bulbs etc.

I do like the very slightly bluer-than-white look that I currently follow from my driver's seat.

Maybe so, but that's not what your headlamps are supposed to look like. Halogen headlamps do not look like HIDs or LEDs, because they're completely different technology that produces light in a completely different way. That blue-white look you think you like, from halogen bulbs, means you can't see anywhere near as well as you need to be able to when driving at night.

Which of these would be perceptively brighter on the road

"Perceptively brighter on the road" is a whole lot less important than how well you can actually, really, objectively see. Buy these for the best performance possible from your headlamps without ridiculously short bulb lifespan.

(Also, I've edited a bunch of unnecessary color/font formatting out of your post. Please don't do that, thanks.)

Last edited:

tybrad

Newly Enlightened
Virgil,
Thanks for the greeting and gotcha on the extra formatting (though they ARE available as options, just sayin'). I also did not want to hijack martin's thread with my related question but with a bit different take on it, hence the new thread. I come from other boards and am learning the etiquette here.

I am fully aware that they are safety items and perhaps the word, "look" was not the right one. I want max legal brightness and color for my taste- I guess that I underestimated just how much light was absorbed by the blue coating- my bulbs translate to no more light that my stock 55's and that is what brought me to my questions and the site.

Since the proper 10A fuse does not fail, I'd assume that the wiring is capable of handling 8A or so. Why is that thinking wrong?

I likely will drop back down to 65w or 55w 4500K but want as bright as I can get. I have read the the Osram 65's are not the winner any more on this ground.

Lastly, by "perceptively brighter", I meant what you indicated- how well I can see down the road- my perception.

I will check out your link. You did not say- what about the Philips RacingVision bulbs? I can live with the low lifespan.

Thank you.

Ceilidh

Newly Enlightened
"Perceptively brighter on the road" is a whole lot less important than how well you can actually, really, objectively see. Buy these for the best performance possible from your headlamps without ridiculously short bulb lifespan.

Hi Virgil,

I'm sure you've made this more than clear in a previous post somewhere, but my Search results have only confused me: how would you rate the above-linked +130 Philips Xtreme Vision H7, relative to the Osram Rallye 65w H7, in terms of [A] overall lighting performance, and bulb lifespan? (This is for a 2000 Golf Valeo E-code low-beam, if that makes a difference....)

I understand that the +150 Philips RacingVision H7 would be a performance upgrade over my current Osram Rallye H7, albeit with a shorter lifespan, and the +130 Xtreme Vision H7 will trade away some of the +150's performance in return for greater longevity -- but I'm not sure where the Osram Rallye H7 falls relative to the Xtreme Vision H7.

Apologies if you've previously covered this elsewhere, and thank you as always!

-C