Audi Lighting

Magio

Enlightened
I'm glad that MFGs are dedicating time to actually making high performance headlights, and also more in-depth articles for the general public being dedicated to vehicular lighting in general. Headlights in the past have always seemed to have been an afterthought with MFGs seemingly installing the cheapest things they could find that meet regs. Now they are actually being integrated into the vehicles systems to make them much more useful for the driver.

Also in the past, information on headlights has always been difficult to find and even then when you did find the information it was often locked behind impenetrable paywalls. There has always seemed to have been a lot of secrecy, for the general public anyway, in headlight performance and technologies. I mean you can readily find detailed specs on a vehicle's engine or transmission, and how it performs compared to other vehicles but when it comes to headlight performance there is nothing but crickets from the automakers. I would like to see that go away. I guess with IIHS publishing official headlight testing results and other auto-enthusiast websites publishing articles about them we may see that secrecy start to fade away too. I hope so anyway.

Last edited:

Sadden

Enlightened
I hope that they dont build traffic control for pedistrians into headlamp design... What a goofy idea.

Also all these adaptive high beam technologies sound terrible. Just an excuse for people to leave their highs on at all times. How will these technologies handle inclement road conditions. I saw a video of BMW's adaptive LED/Laser technology being used in a snowstorm, and every single oncoming vehicles was getting blasted by retina searing laser highbeams.

Lane highlighting? I am sure rigs will love having that reflecting off wet road surfaces into their side mirrors.

How about we get LED technology with simple high/low beams, with a low CCT and High CRI, that doesnt ice up in the icefog/snow before we worry about any of this goofy adaptive high beam with 6000000000000000 candela laser booster technology.

Heres an idea, instead of making a 75w blue tinted halogen that makes a mere 1000lm to match led technology, we just use leds that arent 6500k in headlamps, and we give them a CRI that allows people to see well in poor road conditions.

Much of this technology is pandering to the marketers and the lazy.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Just search for the BMW i8 main beam. They are LED laser excited yellow phosphorus bubbles that produce some serious light. They can pretty much create daylight infront of you for over half a kilometre!!!

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened
How about we get LED technology with simple high/low beams, with a low CCT and High CRI,
I'm not sure we can expect to see CCT decreasing anytime in the near future. Infact it may continue to rise. This not very technical article claims Ford optics expert and design engineer, Arun Kumar, stated that they intend to raise the CCT of their headlights even high than they currently are.

Ford's new LEDs clock in at a chilly 5,600 K, about the same as bright white sunlight at noon. (Halogen lights hang out at around 3,200 K.) Kumar says 5,600 K provides an optimal combination of visibility and glare reduction. "The eye perceives cooler, bluer lights better, therefore increasing visibility." Ford hopes to make its lights even cooler (literally, if not figuratively) in the future.
https://www.wired.com/2016/02/ford-claims-its-new-headlights-make-you-feel-better-so-it-claims/

Last edited:

Sadden

Enlightened
I'm not sure we can expect to see CCT decreasing anytime in the near future. Infact it may continue to rise. This not very technical article claims Ford optics expert and design engineer, Arun Kumar, stated that they intend to raise the CCT of their headlights even high than they currently are.
How terrible. Fords glarey poorly focused designs will look so much better at an even higher cct...
*Sarcasm

Magio

Enlightened
No, that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Assuming the article is accurate that's what Fords top engineer said.

This is another interesting article from Ford that states another parallel point about about interior lighting. The most interesting part I found is that it states that many people have trouble seeing red and green, so Ford has chosen blue for its interior lighting colors. I wonder whether people having trouble seeing red and green plays into their decision to use high CCT headlights too.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...he-night-with-psychology-guiding-the-way.html

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that they dont build traffic control for pedistrians into headlamp design... What a goofy idea.
Where did you see that? All I see is technology helping make the driver aware of pedestrians in one manner or another.

Also all these adaptive high beam technologies sound terrible. Just an excuse for people to leave their highs on at all times.
Many people don't know how to use their high beams and never turn them on. I had to tell our designated driver to USE THE HIGH BEAMS over 45mph unless there was oncoming traffic-- they felt they could see well enough to go 70 on the turnpike with the low beams on. Had to tell them I could point them to mountains of data showing how low beams aren't good enough for that speed.

Remember, these are adaptive high beams-- noöne else is going to get blinded.

How will these technologies handle inclement road conditions. I saw a video of BMW's adaptive LED/Laser technology being used in a snowstorm, and every single oncoming vehicles was getting blasted by retina searing laser highbeams.
Backscatter detection, if not already built in, will probably be among future improvements. And remember, we don't have this here-- we're letting European countries do all the beta and gamma testing so all those kinks can be worked out before we attempt to bring it over here.

Lane highlighting? I am sure rigs will love having that reflecting off wet road surfaces into their side mirrors.
Angle of incidence equalling angle of reflection, unless their side mirrors are positioned right over the lane markers, they're not going to see that much glare.

For the most part, this isn't a case of the emperor's new clothes-- if the ordinary person comes up with objections like this, the people whose job it is to design these things has already considered them or knows why they need no consideration.

How about we get LED technology with simple high/low beams, with a low CCT and High CRI, that doesnt ice up in the icefog/snow before we worry about any of this goofy 'adaptive high beam with 6000000000000000 candela laser booster' technology.
Because people don't use their high beams appropriately. Because a properly designed and implemented adaptive high beam would be much safer than a two-mode system that has its own drawbacks.

Heres an idea, instead of making a 75w blue tinted halogen that makes a mere 1000lm to match led technology, we just use leds that arent 6500k in headlamps, and we give them a CRI that allows people to see well in poor road conditions.
Valid point. Unfortunately, marketers seem to make more money for the automakers than engineers do.

Much of this technology is pandering to the marketers and the lazy.
I wouldn't say an AFS is for "lazy" people. Is ABS for people to lazy to Fred Astaire their brake pedal to control lockup? Is electric start for people too lazy to turn a crank or wind a rope around a pulley? Are directional indicators for people too lazy to stick their arm out the window? Seatbelts for people too lazy to crawl back to their cars after being thrown through their windshield?

We're not talking about heated gas pedals here, we're talking about improving our lighting system beyond 1932. This will make it safer for everyone, not just the people who have the technology.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder whether people having trouble seeing red and green plays into their decision to use high CCT headlights too.
They may have trouble distinguishing colors, but they won't just NOT see the light. What this could mean is that it's hard to make a warning light stand out amongst non-warning lights, and that is valid. But thrusting everyone into blue instrument panel lighting isn't really the answer.

An instrument panel itself should be lit only enough to see the instrumentation, but in some cases it's treated like decoration or an entertainment system and is just overly bright, anyway.

Magio

Enlightened
Where did you see that? All I see is technology helping make the driver aware of pedestrians in one manner or another.

Many people don't know how to use their high beams and never turn them on. I had to tell our designated driver to USE THE HIGH BEAMS over 45mph unless there was oncoming traffic-- they felt they could see well enough to go 70 on the turnpike with the low beams on. Had to tell them I could point them to mountains of data showing how low beams aren't good enough for that speed.

Remember, these are adaptive high beams-- noöne else is going to get blinded.

Backscatter detection, if not already built in, will probably be among future improvements. And remember, we don't have this here-- we're letting European countries do all the beta and gamma testing so all those kinks can be worked out before we attempt to bring it over here.

I agree with most what you say here Alaric but I disagree with you on the part about no body getting blinded by automatic high beams. My brother had the 2016 CX-5 and according to him the auto highbeam was not very reliable. There was even one instance where the system failed to turn off the highbeam and the oncoming vehicle was a LEO. The LEO flashed his blue lights at him warning him to dim his lights. If he wanted to he could have written my brother a citation for not dimming his lights.

So the systems are by no means perfect, and people will be getting blinded by malfunctioning auto highbeam systems, and the same people who don't know how to turn on highbeams will now be the people who don't know how to turn them off. You get problems either way you go. I just hope the auto highbeams become more reliable where they work a reasonable percentage of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastgun

Enlightened
Bowman: Turn off the high beams HAL
HAL 9000: I'm afraid I can't do that Dave

What could possibly go wrong?

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you see that? All I see is technology helping make the driver aware of pedestrians in one manner or another…..

Quoted from the latest DVN newsletter:
This new [Mercedes Benz] HD headlamp generation can project high-resolution images onto the road.
This enables the vehicle to warn other road users and to communicate with them.
If the system detects pedestrians at the side of the road, the vehicle can beam pedestrian crossing stripes onto the road as a signal that it is safe to cross the road.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Projects a zebra crossing for pedestrians?!?!?! How long until the slow mo dash cam shot of some poor sod getting knocked down whilst having a zebra crossing projected onto their legs....

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
My brother had the 2016 CX-5 and according to him the auto highbeam was not very reliable. There was even one instance where the system failed to turn off the highbeam and the oncoming vehicle was a LEO. The LEO flashed his blue lights at him warning him to dim his lights. If he wanted to he could have written my brother a citation for not dimming his lights.

I have a 16 Avalon with the auto high beams. I live in a rural area and they seem to work very well. They seem to have a minor issue where an oncoming car pops over the top of a hill, but they react about as fast as most drivers would. I've learned to watch for reflection from the power lines along to road for clues about oncoming cars. I don't expect the Avalon to learn that anything soon.

Magio

Enlightened
I have a 16 Avalon with the auto high beams. I live in a rural area and they seem to work very well. They seem to have a minor issue where an oncoming car pops over the top of a hill, but they react about as fast as most drivers would. I've learned to watch for reflection from the power lines along to road for clues about oncoming cars. I don't expect the Avalon to learn that anything soon.

Yeah. Mmy brother described the CX-5 as being an inexpensive SUV with high tech features added as an afterthought and poorly implemented. Some other features like collision mitigated breaking were also not very great either. He now has an Acura RDX and he says all the systems are much more refined and work much better. I'm sure with the Avalon being a more expensive vehicles the systems are probably tuned a lot better too.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I have the Limited, which does not have the LED headlights, but the HID low beams are good. The incandescent high beams are also good. Much better than my F150 lights.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quoted from the latest DVN newsletter:
If the system detects pedestrians at the side of the road, the vehicle can beam pedestrian crossing stripes onto the road as a signal that it is safe to cross the road.
I'd have to read all the apposite documentation with it, but it seems like the driver of Vehicle A can't make a decision for drivers of Vehicles B-and-beyond when projecting the crosswalk pattern. This isn't just friendly wave like "Hey, I see you-- you can go ahead and cross" -- crosswalks also just aren't placed randomly, certainly not at the whim of a guy in an expensive car (or at the whim of the car).