I want to make 3 parallel 123s => D size adapter

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
I have an upcoming project that requires me to make D sized adapters with 123's in parallel (stack for more voltage) because my current goal, ironically, is high current output such that voltage drop is not so detrimental.

So, I would like to know if anyone can help me figure out how to tackel this task.

what should i buy, what should i modify?

I might add, I'm extremely anal, I want this project to look clean. So with whatever materials are available to the world I would like to make these adapters for myself, perhaps even make easy to follow directions for other to figure it out as well.

Btw- i can solder well.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Hi,

Look up posts by Chief Wiggum, he made a 4-AA to D adaptor. This will be a good starting point.

I have come across a couple of mods where a 3-to-D for 123 batteries were made, but the actual configuration will be somewhat wider than a D-sized battery. This results in having to hog out the interior of the flashlight receiving this battery pack.

I have one mod where I run two parallel stacks of three 123's for 9v in a 2D-cell m*g.

soloco

Enlightened
I run 2x3 in a 2D and 2x5 in a 3D mag. I use 2 wooden dowels as spacers. 2 washers, a nut, and a short bolt act as the positive and negative contacts.

litho123

Enlightened
Are you wanting to get a 3x3x123 configuration? As I don't have the resources to ream out a Mag 2D, I've been looking at a Mag 3D.

I can fit 2 123's and a AA (spacer)side-by-side and used this approach to fit a 3x3x123 configuration in a Mag 3D. I stagger the batteries and make up a few spacers that are about the diameter of a AA battery. In all, the battery stack will be the length of 5 123 cells.
The first battery stack is 123/123/123/spacer/spacer
The second batt stack is 123/123/spacer/spacer/123
The third batt stack is spacer/spacer/123/123/123

I'm still waiting on parts from Menards and Home Depot to finish the spacers, take pics and post.

Hope this is helpful and not confusing.

unnerv

Enlightened
wasabi has it right on. When I did my FatMag mod, I used 3x123 side by side, but I had to bore out the mag body and even part of the tops of the threads for the 3 123's to fit, so make sure that you test to see that you can get your 3 123 in. In my last mod (TACMag) I made a 4AA to D, and got it to fit okay without having to bore out the light. If you ran two AA series and two parallel, you would have better overal power density I believe for your 3 volts and the same voltage. Energizer lists the AA as having 2850mAh (e2 is 3135) where their 123 is 1300mAh, so you are looking at 5700 to 6270mAh for 4AA's (two serial, two parrallel) and 3900mAh for 3 parrallel 123s. Just an idea to consider.

Here is a pic of my battery holder that I made for the TACMag.
tacmagparts.jpg

If you are interested in the mod, here is the link to a thread I started about it.

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think i'm gonna ream that mag.

see, i'm trying to make a long run time minihid the size of a 2d or 3d maglite. using AA's sorta negates the size advantages of 123s. or perhaps there's a battery smaller than a 123 by a few millimeters that would make it work in a 3x4xbattery environment?

3x4 = 12 volts because each triplet is parallel connected.

so it'd be:

III
---
III
---
III
---
III

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: I want to make 3 parallel 123s => D size adapt

I think you should use AA NiMH. They're the sweet spot.

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened

i don't want the flashlight to be a reflection of how small my .... is. cuz it's not so i'd rather it be small to be a reflection of how big, but infinitely tiny so it means the size is infinite..............

unnerv

Enlightened

Sounds like you have the right idea if you need a long running 12volt source. The only thing that you might have to worry about with that many batteries in series/parallel is that there is a chance of cell reversal. With litiums, you need to be really careful from what I understand as they go boom much more spectacularly than alky's do. Always make sure that all the batteries are brand new when you put them in. It only takes 1 to die prematurely to cause a problem. I'm sure that others can chime in on this.

BTW I notice that you are in the SF BA. I live 5 min from SFO, so if you are not too far away and would like to take a look at my battery holder to get some ideas, let me know and we can hook up. I also have one of the ufokillerz/silver legacy HID's if you want to check out their holder too.

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened

hey unnerv, i'm totally down to go hang out and talk shop.

I just need to get a new car first.

I got my car totalled about a month or so ago. waiting on insurance money.

cy

Flashaholic

The old energizer 8X AA double tube flashlights were wired in parallel for 6V, but could be easily wired in series for 12V.

If you leave out the AA batt holder, 123's fit perfectly. 4X AA, 6X AA versions were also available. The body can be cut down to desired length with minimal trouble.

The AA version has been out of production, but I saw a 4X AAA version at Drug Warehouse tonight for $10.

litho123

Enlightened

IIRC a few months ago someone posted using CR2 batteries in a 3x4 configuration for the WA 01185 in a standard 2D Mag. In looking up the specs on the CR2 battery, the capacity is less than a 123 battery though.

unnerv

Enlightened

kalieaire let me know when you get your ride, and we can setup some time to hang out. BTW, I think sometime towards the end of the month Wayne was planning a get together. Those are really cool. Last time McGizmo, brought a bunch of SF prototypes for us to play with. If you can make it to one, it is definately worth the drive.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

is that a home made 4>D adapter?

that is what I need I was going to use 2 3>d's but one of those would be perfect..

unnerv

Enlightened

yeah, its a homemade 4>D...it took the better part of a day to make. Getting everything lined up between the two ends is much tougher than it looks. That and nothing about it except the springs were premade. Everything was cut on a lathe and drill press, right down to the spacers and battery contacts.

soloco

Enlightened

I'm running 12 CR2 in a 4x3 setup for a 1185 bulb in a 2D Mag now. It's frickin bright, but I don't use it cause the CR2s cost me an arm and two legs.