Looking for new simple flashlight

Jlui

Newly Enlightened
Im looking at picking up a new flashlight for duty use.

I want a 2 output flash light. (tail cap screwed in all the way and push of the tail cap is momentary. Push all the way down is constant on high)
Tail cap slight twist to have a low output. Same momentary and constant feature.

I was looking at the surefire g2x pro. But is there a way to change the tail cap so it works with what i mentioned above?

I belive from the factory if you press slightly on the tail cap its on low then press the tail cap again within 2 sec is high. I dont want to press the tail cap multiple times to cycle through different modes.

Also no need for strobe feature.

Battery size doesnt matter. Cr123.... Etc..

Thanks

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta do a range of lights that take a Hi/Lo Tailcap. Tighten for high loosen for low on, off and momentary with a tailswitch.
You can order one of three models with various heads, cells and tailcaps.
Built better than a modern SF.
Here's a link to the tailcap...
https://www.elzetta.com/product/high-low-tailcap/
Here's the Elzetta thread on CPF...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326895-Elzetta-The-industry-s-best-kept-secret
You could also look at Malkoff lights, apart from the MDC range the Hi/Lo is done by twisting the head rather than the tail. Works for me.
P

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire A2 Aviator tail switch and interface is exactly like OP describes, momentary 2-stage, twist for constant on. Unfortunately, the new A2 LED Aviator is dual spectrum only with red and white. Fortunately, original incan A2 Aviators can still be found and are not obsolete. Along with the main lamp, these come with secondary LED's in one of white, red, blue, green or yellow-green. Tad Customs sells brass bipin sockets and a couple types of bipin lamps (maximizing either lamp life or brightness) to replace the lamp no longer available from Surefire.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire A2 Aviator tail switch and interface is exactly like OP describes, momentary 2-stage, twist for constant on. Unfortunately, the new A2 LED Aviator is dual spectrum only with red and white. Fortunately, original incan A2 Aviators can still be found and are not obsolete. Along with the main lamp, these come with secondary LED's in one of white, red, blue, green or yellow-green. Tad Customs sells brass bipin sockets and a couple types of bipin lamps (maximizing either lamp life or brightness) to replace the lamp no longer available from Surefire.
My LED Avaitor is Blue/White and evidently they can be had in White/White too though I have never seen one.

I thought there were other SF with that same interface thought too?
Maybe it was the latest "Backup" version?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LED Avaitor is Blue/White and evidently they can be had in White/White too though I have never seen one.

I thought there were other SF with that same interface thought too?
Maybe it was the latest "Backup" version?

I'm no Surefire authority, in my life, have only held 3 in my hands, actually only 2 before today, 6P and A2. The E1e arrived today. :D

I have seen white/white A2 Aviators on eBay. But being that Koala is still generously supplying CPF members with Onion Rings and many LED options for cheap, it reduces the importance of what the stock LED is.

Incan A2 Aviator is not the most inexpensive light system, once you collect the stock flashlight, Tad Customs A2 Socket and bipin lamps, Onion Rings and replacement LEDs, quality 16340 secondaries and a good charger. But it is luxurious... and yet surprisingly tough.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but none of this has anything to do with the OPs question either.

The Elzetta interface is exactly what he asked for and the Malkoff is almost exactly what he asked for so.....

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but none of this has anything to do with the OPs question either.

OP specified this right here:

I want a 2 output flash light. (tail cap screwed in all the way and push of the tail cap is momentary. Push all the way down is constant on high)
Tail cap slight twist to have a low output. Same momentary and constant feature.

I was looking at the surefire g2x pro.

See that? OP even named the brand we're discussing. How is the A2 interface different from Elzetta? Malkov? Honestly, idk, so if anyone can say, thx.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the site.

The Surefire LX2 is another one that has the 2-stage tailcap. This example has a TIR optic delivering a tightly focused beam. The tight focus makes the low output less useful than a more diffuse reflector-based design.

They're not as readily available, but the AZ2 also has a 2-stage tailcap. It has a body design, with grip ring, that's very similar to the Z2, but a head design that's very similar to the A2. It has a central primary LED for throw and secondary outer low output LEDs.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP specified this right here:

See that? OP even named the brand we're discussing. How is the A2 interface different from Elzetta? Malkov? Honestly, idk, so if anyone can say, thx.

If you see that I was replying in context of arguing about the differences between the Aviators and not the interface which I went on to say in the next sentence?
Why parse my post to remove the content?

The A2 interface that I have is a 2 stage press that switches the emitter that is used where the Malkoff & Elzetta need to have the head or tail twist to change levels.

I don't understand that he wants 2 different light sources with each level which is what my Avaitor gives.

I thought I pretty clearly stated that the Elzetta & Malkoff offer exactly what he said he was looking for.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you see that I was replying in context of arguing about the differences between the Aviators and not the interface which I went on to say in the next sentence?
Why parse my post to remove the content?

There appears to be some confusion between "argument" with "relevant information." No one is arguing about whether the incan A2 Aviator is different from the A2 LED Aviator. The interface and spectral output is relevent, thus necessarily the differences between the incan A2 Aviator and A2 LED Aviator are very relevant.

The reason for parsing content is only for clarity, not subterfuge.

The A2 interface that I have is a 2 stage press that switches the emitter that is used

Interesting. The incan A2 Aviator that I have is similar, except the second stage does not switch from LED to lamp (which I would honestly prefer), but instead adds the lamp output to the LED output with a cumulative effect.

the Malkoff & Elzetta need to have the head or tail twist to change levels.

Thanks. That is different from the letter of OP's request, and the incan A2 Aviator interface, where the two stage tailswitch is momentary only for both output levels, and the tailswitch twist is for constant on of either output level, either LED only constant on, or twist further for both lamp and LED constant on. It is also possible to use the switch to lock out the brighter incan lamp such that the momentary is single-stage LED mode only. The incan A2 Aviator interface is very versitile.

I don't understand that he wants 2 different light sources with each level which is what my Avaitor gives.

A2 LED Aviator is dual spectrum only with red and white. ...incan A2 Aviators can still be found ...Along with the main lamp, these come with secondary LED's in ... white, ....[/b]

OP did not specify single or dual light sources, but instead dual output levels. In point of fact, the incan A2 Aviator has 4 light sources, i.e. 3 LEDs + 1 lamp. I don't see how a request for two output levels is relevant to the incidental amount of light sources.

I thought I pretty clearly stated that the Elzetta & Malkoff offer exactly what he said he was looking for.

Thanks. That was not lost on me, but now you have clarified the interface, I respectfully disagree. From my interpretation of OP's post, and based on your description of the differences of interface of Elzetta and Malkov to the incan A2, I believe a white/white incan A2 Aviator is precisely what OP is requesting, in regards to interface and dual output levels.

The Surefire LX2 is another one that has the 2-stage tailcap....
...the AZ2 also has a 2-stage tailcap. It has a body design, with grip ring, that's very similar to the Z2, but a head design that's very similar to the A2. It has a central primary LED for throw and secondary outer low output LEDs.

Appears that there are other Surefire models that also satisfy the OP's request. Perhaps I have placed too much importance on the OP's name drop of the Surefire brand?

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the OP many times what I think he is asking for is simply a 2 level light where the levels are selected by a simple tail twist and the light has a forward clicky offering momentary for each level.

Simple if I am correct.
This is the Elzetta interface that I own.
This is the Malkoff MD2 interface with H/L ring too except that the Head twists instead of the Tail.

Also these are not the Aviator interface that mine has.

If I read it wrong I apologize.

Jlui

Newly Enlightened
Need new simpler flashlight

Im ooking for something with

-high mode with momentary and constant on

then with a tail cap twist or something to have

low or medium mode with momentary and constant on feature.

no need for strobe. Rechargeable would be nice.

I need something's rugged like the Surefire G2 Tactical. But would like a low mode too. I definitely don't want to have to click through the tail cap to reach a mode. Hence the want for maybe a twist and then it will be only on that mode.

only light that's I've seen that has the features I listed is the elzetta. But it's a little pricey for me.

Last edited:

Jlui

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys for not chiming on, I thought for some reason this thread didn't even post.

let me clarify and I think AVservice got it right.

This light is going to be for duty use. That high output with momentary on by lightly pushing the tail cap or a constant on by pushing all the way on the tail cap.

Then either a twist twist of the head or tail cap that gives me a lower mode with the same momentary and constant on feature( this will be used more for vehicle searches etc or when I don't need A LOT of light in my face)

Elzetta Brava is very nice but hard to cough up the $$$
ill take a look at Malkoff and Surefire Lx2

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read the original post again, and it seems the Surefire 2-Stage operation might not be what is desired. If the tailcap is screwed in all the way, then the light will have constant high mode activated. With the tailcap loosened to the point that the light is off, a light press activates low mode and pressing further on the tailcap activates high. The switch does not latch. Constant operation is achieved by slightly tightening the tailcap to activate low and tightening it further to activate high.

Elzetta is the only light that I know of that uses the tailcap position to determine output level, well, besides the HDS tactical, but it's different in other ways. Elzettas may be expensive, but they are not overpriced considering what's delivered.

In addition to Malkoff's MD2, the FourSevens QT2LX also uses head position to determine output level. I bought mine soon before they were discontinued, and it's been a good light so far, and considerably smaller than the Bravo or MD2. I'm pretty sure there are others that operate in this manner, but I don't own them (so won't recommend them).

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the LEOs on here (Dave D I think) swears by a Malkoff M91B on an MD3 tube with optional Hi/Lo ring. It'll take 3 x cr123a or 2x 18500 cells.
It's on offer at Malkoff at the moment, you'd have to buy the Ring as well, and there's only one left.
It's worth a look.
https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/m91-md3
P

Here's a couple of Dave's posts, he actually recommends M91T, I'm sure Gene would sort that if you want to give him a call. Yes, he does answer the phone!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ice-duty-use&p=5001065&viewfull=1#post5001065

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ice-duty-use&p=5001673&viewfull=1#post5001673

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read the original post again, and it seems the Surefire 2-Stage operation might not be what is desired. If the tailcap is screwed in all the way, then the light will have constant high mode activated. With the tailcap loosened to the point that the light is off, a light press activates low mode and pressing further on the tailcap activates high. The switch does not latch. Constant operation is achieved by slightly tightening the tailcap to activate low and tightening it further to activate high.

Elzetta is the only light that I know of that uses the tailcap position to determine output level, well, besides the HDS tactical, but it's different in other ways. Elzettas may be expensive, but they are not overpriced considering what's delivered.

In addition to Malkoff's MD2, the FourSevens QT2LX also uses head position to determine output level. I bought mine soon before they were discontinued, and it's been a good light so far, and considerably smaller than the Bravo or MD2. I'm pretty sure there are others that operate in this manner, but I don't own them (so won't recommend them).

If we are throwing out lights that are not readily available the Fenix E21 also works like this.
I have also read that they are released again but with better specs and I am sure a lot less cost to get into than a Malkoff or Elzetta too.

On the other hand if you spend $150 one time on a Malkoff for instance at least you will have a working light for a long time and the best service around on top of that if it is ever needed.

I think Malkoff offer a LEO discount as well?