• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB AW Softstart 3 level incan driver switch for SF

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in Version A - for Z58/59 clicky tail cap. I can't really afford to blink or sneeze until next year, but I figured there's no harm in posting for interest now. I'm not sure how many AW handmade, but I know they're out there, probably never seeing any use, which is just tragic. I promise I will give yours a good home and plenty of nightly use as long as I have a lamp that glows. Thanks.

edit:

AW, if you happen across this, I'm consolidating an interest list for your incredible

Softstart 3-level Incan Driver Switch for Surefire P, C, M, series Tail Cap

based on affirmative replies to this thread (and any Req.s I see in WTB) in the hopes you may consider another run (& maybe include z52/z54/z57/z61/z68 for E Series):

1. chillinn
  2. ampdude
  3. The Whispering Gallery
  4. Lithium466
  5. yazkaz
  6. ma tumba
  7. Fuchshp
  8. ebuchner
  9. Genna
  10. id30209

:)

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, I forgot all about those. Maybe we can get AW to do another run, those look nice.

I'd donate to a kickstarter campaign to entice him... I mean, next year when I might have itchy nickels.

This is technology that is nearly ubiquitous in LED flashlight drivers to their deficit in that it diminishes their perfection, that could generate a revival in incan use, to their benefit. With it, incan could be market-competitive with LED.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP ... you do know that the AW SoftStart uses low frequency PWM, right ?

Yup, thanks. I understand it is the same PWM used in LED drivers. But the effect is very different. Presumably, the filament never stops glowing regardless of the low frequency PWM, so there is the good potential for the light output to stay constant (not the "constant brightness" of regulation, but constant to the brightness of the lamp at the moment on its brightness curve to cell capacity depletion). I have vetted the notion of PWM with incan lamps for my personal use with the LVR in my incan A2 Aviator. I've run through maybe 30 battery swaps with no ill effect, no headaches, no migraine. So, I admit, PWM is not all bad... seems to work well for incan modes.

That said, it is possible AW's Softstart incan driver may be quite different or intolerable, but I am willing to take the risk based on the good experience with the incan A2.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the slower response of the filament will "smooth" the output and minimize flicker.

At lower outputs, tint will likely shift too, although CRI will of course remain at 100.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the slower response of the filament will "smooth" the output and minimize flicker.

At lower outputs, tint will likely shift too, although CRI will of course remain at 100.

I can only hope, after hoping I can score one. Tint shift at lower outputs would be tolerable, just want warmy incan light.

What I am really after, really hoping for, is considerably longer runtime with less light for dark adapted eyes. I am not sure this will deliver, but I know that 15lm is enough of a high mode for my purposes. I am very curious what the M and L modes will be in lumen output.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to acquire a few more of these soft-starts as well (either type A or B mount, or both), but as told by a certain mfyer the sad truth is that AW has no plans on making more, due to the high cost (eg. those MOSFETs) and also dwindling incandescent usage in real life not appreciated by the general public (flashaholics are NOT considered general public).

AW may still ahve the expertise to d more, but apparently the return is small so he's simply out of this project. (He also doesn't service defective switches from existing owners.) These days he's had much better luck selling LiIon batteries.

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Any chance AW would be willing to release the original engineering documentation for his soft start drivers? An ambitious hobbyist could take a shot at making a few.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance AW would be willing to release the original engineering documentation for his soft start drivers? An ambitious hobbyist could take a shot at making a few.
Unfortunately AFAIK, given his personality, he wouldn't do just that.

The only recourse would be perhaps to acquire a used one then reverse-engineer it......

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I got this info from one of the posts here but it wouldn't hurt if I bring it to the surface. There is an alternative to the aw drivers which is called iq switch. I have two versions. One is called lightsaver mizer and it is an e-series compatible tail cap. These are still available on the bay for less than $20. The other version is a maglite 2x aa compatible tail cap. I am happy with both versions.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP thx for add to the list and please check post "Lightsaver guts fits 6P". While waiting for AW you could all join in campaign on that thread. We have been in contact with Lightsaver Miser manufacturer to build tailcaps similar ro AW's.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, while waiting for AW's response, give it a look on this thread.
Looks nice substitute...
Unfortunately, you will NOT get a response from AW given his personality.
At this point he has pretty much withdrawn from this community, and God knows if he's going to make a comeback here......

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, you will NOT get a response from AW given his personality.
At this point he has pretty much withdrawn from this community, and God knows if he's going to make a comeback here......

Pretty much aware of it. That's why i've shared that link. I must make a note though, AW is still selling his supplies but only through big dealers

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much aware of it. That's why i've shared that link. I must make a note though, AW is still selling his supplies but only through big dealers
You mean his remaining stock of batteries through authorized dealers, vape shops etc.? Yes I'm aware of that as well, except the prices have since skyrocketed and that's a real dealbreaker IMHO.