Is it possible to stop/slowdown the degradation of rubber/silicone buttons ??

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they made from the same type of material that orings are made from?

Orings are made from many type of material, what is good for one type is bad for another.

So is clean water all you can really use.

I suppose trying to find a replacement is the best option, but on older lights that are more likely to need the help replacements might not be available.

I have already lost one of my older favourite flashlight as the buttons cover came apart after a few years of use.

Any comments are appreciated.

John.

Thom2022

Enlightened
If you can get some red rubber grease that's always good stuff. I use it on car brakes to stop the calliper dust boots from deteriorating.

sonnix

Newly Enlightened
This is also my problem i have a very acidic sweat perhaps, what I usually do to slowdown the deterioration is cover it with clear cellophane, any type will do if it breaks just change it. I am not sure however with the effect on its ipx rating. Anyhow i am not using my flashlight in the rain and careful not to drop it too long in the water. One more reason i usually prefer stainless steel button flashlights rather than the rubber clickers.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say some people seem to have more acidic sweat, one of my friends, the back of watches always use to go rusty, I have never had a problem like that myself.

Maybe a water based lubricant, something to seal the pores of the rubber or whatever it`s made from.

John.

Connor

Enlightened
A lubricant is a good idea but you need to know what kind of "rubber" your button is made from. The wrong lubricant might very well dissolve your button rather quickly.
The two most common materials are mineral oil and silicone oil based and need different lubricants.

Last edited: