9005/9006 to 9007 headlight conversion

D.J.

Newly Enlightened
I am having trouble finding a headlight assembly for my mom's 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS. All other models of galant use a headlight assembly with a 9007 bulb. The GTS uses an assembly with a 9005 and a 9006. The only option I can find is direct from dealer for the GTS assembly. To keep from spending over $400 I was wanting to run the high beam and low beam circuits into one 9007 plug. I have found wiring diagrams, and I have experience soldering, so making the connections is not the problem. I was wandering if anyone knew of a harness that was pre-made which I could purchase to save the time of having to make it. I also want to know if this is even something that can be done due to different power draw, and output.

Thanks,

D.J.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
I am having trouble finding a headlight assembly for my mom's 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS. All other models of galant use a headlight assembly with a 9007 bulb. The GTS uses an assembly with a 9005 and a 9006. The only option I can find is direct from dealer for the GTS assembly. To keep from spending over $400 I was wanting to run the high beam and low beam circuits into one 9007 plug.
The biggest problem I see is that if the GTS leaves the low beams on when switching to high beam, it's possible it'll attempt this if you try to switch to the headlamp using the 9007. This will explode the bulb in very short order when running the high beam beyond just a 'flash-to-pass'. Exploded bulb = Ruined headlamp.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a 9007 lamp assembly superior to a 9005/9006 assembly for overall output?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a 9007 lamp assembly superior to a 9005/9006 assembly for overall output?
Both systems would be nominally 65/55W.
The 9005 would be a better high beam than the 9007's major filament, but source lumens doesn't tell everything. What we do know is that with the 9007, the single compartment will do both the low and high beam functions, and will be a compromise. Each of the smaller compartments in a 9005/9006 lamp assembly will be better optimized for their purpose (but this assumes that a lot of engineering has gone into the lamp in the first place).

I'm leaning towards keeping the dual-lamp design, and using the Philips X-Treme Vision 9006 for the low beam and a Philips HIR1 for the high beam. I'm not recommending the HIR2 for the low beam right off the bat since I don't know enough about that particular car's headlamps to recommend it.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The dual-reflector/dual-bulb lamp is going to be the better performer, because each reflector is optimized to do ONE job (low beam or high beam). With 9007, one reflector is compromised to do two contradictory jobs.

"Direct from the dealer" (or some other outlet of genuine parts) really is the only option worth pursuing no matter which kind of headlamp you are buying. All of the aftermarket lamps are garbage, no matter how many whoppers ("OEM quality! DOT/SAE approved! CAPA certified!") the seller tells about them, and the "good used" lamp is an imaginary creature.

Alaric is right: if you just put in a straight-across adaptor, the low and high beam filaments will be on together in the 9007 bulb when you switch to high beam, and that will run the very real risk of exploding the bulb inside the headlamp, destroying both parts in the process.