Does anybody owned Lupine wilma RX 14 ?

job

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys I'm looking for the Hi-end headlamp with long-runtime. I found that Lupine wilma RX14 is have everythings I needed. it can run at 1000 Lumens up to 13Hours with 13.2Ah battery.

Why I need a long-runtime because I will go to crave exploring it take 10-12 Hours in the cave (totally 12Kms of distance).

I couldn't find any depth review about Wilma RX 14 (found only RX 7 or Betty and it seem old model).

Does anybody owned Lupine Wilma RX 14?

Lupine is a good brand with hight quality?

Thanks!!

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I suspect that for such a specialty such as caving, the best answers as to the choices for high quality caving headlamps might be on a caving forum. There are several brands that are specially made for caving and I've had little success searching for discussion on those brands here.

(that's not being snarky ... that just an honest suggestion)

JB

job

Newly Enlightened
I suspect that for such a specialty such as caving, the best answers as to the choices for high quality caving headlamps might be on a caving forum. There are several brands that are specially made for caving and I've had little success searching for discussion on those brands here.

(that's not being snarky ... that just an honest suggestion)

JB

Thanks for your recommendation. So this meant that Lupine is not compatible with my activity? Not only for cave exploring I plan to use Lupine in many activities e.g. night walking, Climbing.

ToddM

Enlightened
I can't speak to caving, but Lupine is regarded as making probably the best and most powerful mountain biking lights there are (and some of, if not the most expensive), and have maintained that position for many years now. They have stellar customer service, amazing build quality, a huge amount of options for batteries, configurations etc., and unless things have changed in the last couple years you could upgrade light heads as advancements are made with relatively low cost compared to replacing the light. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is the price, and most once they pay it, would happily do so again.

I've never owned them but have used a few cycling buddies on rides and have always been very impressed. Not sure if it would work for caving but I've used Light and Motion lights (they also do scuba lights) on the mountain bike for years, and never had any issues.

One thing you'll find with bike lights, while they do report ANSI runtimes, when you look at their discharge curves they don't game the system like most flashlight companies do you get near max brightness for most of the runtime claim. Cyclists would never tolerate their lights stepping down to 30% of the rated max output only a few minutes into the runtime claim.

The Light and Motion 2000 seca enduro light for example claims 2000 lumens on high for 2.5 hours, and 95% of that runtime on high is spent above 1900 lumens. They do have a new 2200 model out that is IP67 rated.

On Lupine's webpage they don't list any of the Betty/Wilma lights under the caving activity tab, you may want to check with them why they don't list them for caving. They do list both the light and battery as IP68 rated.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
I own an older version Lupine Betty and Wilma and they are indeed high quality stuff, but I wouldn't recommend them for caving. They wont be as water tight as some of the caving specific lights and also they use a glass lens in front which could break on impact. Someone posted pictures of one shattered before which if I remember correctly was the Lupine Betty . My Lupines are the 2008 model and still going strong, but I I would look into caving specific lights if I was in your shoes.

Jackasper

Enlightened
Hi Job, and welcome to the forum. I think I have exactly what you are looking for. Wilma. It has a PMMA (plastic) lens and is pretty tightly sealed. I'd go as far as to say it's waterproof. I can dig up the rating if you'd like. I also have the upgrade kit with new multi emitter board and lens. PM me if you are still interested...

_Rotor

Newly Enlightened
Hi Job. My opinion is that the Wilma is a very high quality, reliable and efficient (about 150 Lumens per Wat in most of its modes) headlamp but I'm not sure that it is enough durable for caving. For caving usage the floody beam is more appropriate but Wilma's beam is only 26° (without the diffuser) which is not the perfect choice. One of the best lamps specially designed for caving are http://www.scurion.ch/jm/index.php?Itemid=109 and the more budget solution https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/SPECIALIZED-headlamps/ULTRA-VARIO-BELT#.WNWr36KxVdg I have no experience with Zebra light but its H series seems to be appropriate for backup lamp (may be for base to if the cave is not too muddy). As you probably know the caving environment is too rough and that leads to more specific and not so versatile lamp designs. If you have good caving lamp it will not be so good out of the cave.
Edit:
This video will give you idea about the lamp beams

Last edited: