Skilhunt H03: CW or NW for trail running?

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks. Just saw the Skilhunt H03 is on sale at Gearbest ($32) so I'm going to pull the trigger on a couple of them for my waist light project described in it's own thread.

I need some quick input as I am totally unfamiliar with these LEDs. Do I want the CW or the NW option for my outdoor use? This is not going to be a EDC or a work light ... pure nighttime trail running.

Is the decision pretty clear for such a specific use or does everyone have their own special preferences?

Thanks
JB

YahFargo

Newly Enlightened
Widely accepted consensus is neutral to warm white for outdoor activities. Colors are represented more naturally and gives a better contrast for sharper detail of your surroundings rather than washing them out. Of course some will prefer cool white, but neutral gets the overall nod in outdoor settings.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Yes! NW all the way for outdoors....colors will pop out at you, green leaves and brown trees look er....green and brown! CW on the other hand...all looks rather...drab....and 'cold'. Hope you enjoy the NW!

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the confirmation Stevie. I know squat about lights so it's great to have you folks giving me the scoops.

JB

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't have this light but night trail run and hike often. To be 100% honest either CW or NW will
get the job done. That said i can't see the 7 percent lower output of the NW and prefer
it to CW so will for the most part take NW over CW.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have this light but night trail run and hike often. To be 100% honest either CW or NW will
get the job done. That said i can't see the 7 percent lower output of the NW and prefer
it to CW so will for the most part take NW over CW.

If just 'getting the job done' is all you care about, then CW will do. But for most, NW/WW just makes for a more pleasant outdoor experience. It's mostly a matter of aesthetics. But many people find that NW/WW is also easier on the eyes. And many people find that they can 'see more' due to less of a tendency for colors to be washed out (as with CW), despite the somewhat lower lumen level. But here's the REAL kicker when making the choice between CW and NW/WW. I have heard people here on CPF regret getting CW over NW/WW. But I have NEVER heard someone say that regretted getting NW/WW over CW (unless maybe they got a nasty yellow/green tint, but this isn't the same thing as regretting NW/WW).

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be pretty universal that NW is preferred for the great outdoors. I ordered both of mine in NW and I'm no light snob (yet) so I think it will work out.

Thanks again
JB