Brand new Sayno 18650 "GA" issues??

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
So I had two (2) Sanyo 18650 cells before, the unprotected "GA" version, with my first one coming from ZebraLight as an add-on to the SC600 MKiii HI torch. I acquired another one from Illumn shortly there after. I dead-shorted one the other day while using metal calipers to measure the OAL - man I won't do that again.

I wanted to replace the one I toasted plus add one more. So I ordered two (2) more from Illumn. I put them on the charger last night and a few things happened that I did not experience with the other two batteries. Firstly, one of the cells seems to have a much lower cut-off voltage on charge. I am using the XTAR VC4 charger by the way. One of the cells caused the LED to blink back and forth between green and red for a few minutes, before finally staying red. But it stopped charging and indicated as fully charged via the green LED at less than 4.0V, while the other one goes to something like 4.12v. Plus, the lights feel warm to the touch. Not hot, but warm. That did not happen with the other lights.

Does anyone think there is a problem with these? What caused the XTAR LED to blink green and red for a period of time? And should I be concerned that the one cell has a lower charged voltage reading? I have to admit that after I started charging the cells I had to unexpectedly leave the house and I took the cells off the charger for a number of hours, before I got home and put them back on charge. Oh and with the warmth of the batteries, I can distinctly "smell" the batteries while they charge. The metallic scent isnt overpowering but it is there.

Thanks guys.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be wrong, but alternating green/red indicators should mean damaged/over discharged/reverse polarity battery for a Xtar charger.

Last edited:

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I might be wrong, but alternating green/red indicators should mean damaged/over discharged/reverse polarity battery for a Xtar charger.

I believe it means reversed polarity. As in I had the cell inserted into the charger with the poles reversed. I really can't see myself doing that but anything is possible.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it means reversed polarity. As in I had the cell inserted into the charger with the poles reversed. I really can't see myself doing that but anything is possible.

I've had a VC4 for about a year, but it's at my GF's place. I looked at a .pdf of the manual today and didn't see any mention of alternating flashing red>green>red lights.

Chris

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I had two (2) Sanyo 18650 cells before, the unprotected "GA" version, with my first one coming from ZebraLight as an add-on to the SC600 MKiii HI torch. I acquired another one from Illumn shortly there after. I dead-shorted one the other day while using metal calipers to measure the OAL - man I won't do that again.

I wanted to replace the one I toasted plus add one more. So I ordered two (2) more from Illumn. I put them on the charger last night and a few things happened that I did not experience with the other two batteries. Firstly, one of the cells seems to have a much lower cut-off voltage on charge. I am using the XTAR VC4 charger by the way. One of the cells caused the LED to blink back and forth between green and red for a few minutes, before finally staying red. But it stopped charging and indicated as fully charged via the green LED at less than 4.0V, while the other one goes to something like 4.12v. Plus, the lights feel warm to the touch. Not hot, but warm. That did not happen with the other lights.

Does anyone think there is a problem with these? What caused the XTAR LED to blink green and red for a period of time? And should I be concerned that the one cell has a lower charged voltage reading? I have to admit that after I started charging the cells I had to unexpectedly leave the house and I took the cells off the charger for a number of hours, before I got home and put them back on charge. Oh and with the warmth of the batteries, I can distinctly "smell" the batteries while they charge. The metallic scent isnt overpowering but it is there.

Thanks guys.
Ouch! I've wanted to pick up a pair of non conductive calipers just for this reason, but I've got use to using an insulator and compensating or being very careful to stay on the wrapper and compensate.

I don't know much about that charger but I would suspect that it might be a source of the issue or your USB power adapter you have driving it. That charger is too picky on it's adapter.

If the cells are over 4 Volts then you could not have put them in the charger backwards since they would have been shipped with a much lower voltage, which means you had to have charged them at least partially. Discharge them atlas 25% and try them in a different charger. Clean the contacts on the charger.

Latest posts