Need a High CRI, Dimmable, Low profile LED strip light

Kabir424

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to make a ceiling light cover that looks similar to the light linked below. I think I can handle the construction part but I am having a hard time finding a light source that fits my criteria. I also wouldn't mind it being an affordable option.

https://www.missionstudio.com/products/mission-style-ceiling-light-704

I am looking for LED lights I can dim and put out around 8000 lumens. This is intended for my kitchen and the area being lit is approximately 10'x14' with 8' ceilings. The dimming function is so I can have a bit too much light in case I have situations in cooking where I need a lot of light but for the majority of the time kept at ~80% illumination. There are already 2 fixtures on the ceiling that are the standard ugly low profile t8 fluorescents. To replace those I would ideally get an LED light source with a CRI of 90 or more. I am thinking around 3500k or 4000k for the color temperature. I can do 2 or 3 of the LED fixtures to equal the 8000 lumens or so.

If I can't find a premade light source how difficult would it be to DIY one? I am interested in the strip light because it would provide a more even illumination of the fixture I will build. I also need to keep the low profile part since I only have 8' ceilings.

I don't want to do recessed troffers or cans or anything where I have to cut into the ceiling more than is already cut.

Suggestions?

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I am wanting to make a ceiling light cover that looks similar to the light linked below. I think I can handle the construction part but I am having a hard time finding a light source that fits my criteria. I also wouldn't mind it being an affordable option.

https://www.missionstudio.com/products/mission-style-ceiling-light-704

I am looking for LED lights I can dim and put out around 8000 lumens. This is intended for my kitchen and the area being lit is approximately 10'x14' with 8' ceilings. The dimming function is so I can have a bit too much light in case I have situations in cooking where I need a lot of light but for the majority of the time kept at ~80% illumination. There are already 2 fixtures on the ceiling that are the standard ugly low profile t8 fluorescents. To replace those I would ideally get an LED light source with a CRI of 90 or more. I am thinking around 3500k or 4000k for the color temperature. I can do 2 or 3 of the LED fixtures to equal the 8000 lumens or so.

If I can't find a premade light source how difficult would it be to DIY one? I am interested in the strip light because it would provide a more even illumination of the fixture I will build. I also need to keep the low profile part since I only have 8' ceilings.

I don't want to do recessed troffers or cans or anything where I have to cut into the ceiling more than is already cut.

Suggestions?

Samsung, Lumileds, etc. make light engines (big PCBs with lots of mid-power LEDs) that are readily available from the likes of Digikey, Mouser, etc. They will have them in 90CRI. 4000K at 90CRI will be likely easier to find, but 3500K will be too. That will provide you with a nice even illumination of good quality.

You will be able to find phase cut dimmable LED drivers (triac/etc.). For 8000 lumens and 90CRI, you will need at least 60W, likely 80W. That may take to phase-cut drivers as they are not normally available in higher powers.

Kabir424

Newly Enlightened
I am very inexperienced with electronics beyond changing out a ceiling fan or wall outlet. Do you have any recommendations on reading material or youtube videos of how to get something like this wired together?

Is this a light engine? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...dPuAId3hU%2bj7NShC3LxAItMy0eE21sD%2b/0sr43g==

Are you talking about something like this as a phase-cut driver? http://www.erglighting.com/index.ph...s-xlav/xlav-80-watt-cv-xlav-l-80-124v-si.html

Am I out of my element Walter?

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
The Yuji modules are brutally expensive for how much light they put out.

The modules the OP linked to are a good option. They are a good price for the light output, CRI and CCT.

The driver you linked to is the right style, but not suitable for these LED strips. You need a dimmable constant current driver that covers a voltage range of say 30-40V, and suitable current for how many LED strips you plan to use.