Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41

Thread: Klarus XT12GT - Review

  1. #1

    Default Klarus XT12GT - Review

    A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release.

    I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome.

    Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect.

    Parcel:


    A couple of pictures of it in the box:

    Top:


    Bottom:


    Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring.

    Top of box:


    All items:


    There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out.

    Battery in tube:


    Close up of battery:


    I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank.

    I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on.

    Magnetic charger thing:


    I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v.

    USB Monitor:


    I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low.

    Battery ring:

    I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening.

    The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered.

    Reflector:


    Emitter:


    So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts....

    The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers.

    The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion.

    The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON".

    The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild.

    I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated.

    Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know.

    Size comparisons:

    XT12GT in hand:


    TM16GT in hand


    XT12GT vs Thorfire C8


    Collection....


    Beamshots will continue tonight..........


    If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below:
    https://goo.gl/8MKaHR


    .......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rosemount
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Very nice!

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* aginthelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    So the magnetic charge thingy is a nitecore tube you get for free?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

  4. #4
    Enlightened cruzian3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-C View Post
    A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release.

    I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome.

    Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect.

    Parcel:


    A couple of pictures of it in the box:

    Top:


    Bottom:


    Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring.

    Top of box:


    All items:


    There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out.

    Battery in tube:


    Close up of battery:


    I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank.

    I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on.

    Magnetic charger thing:


    I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v.

    USB Monitor:


    I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low.

    Battery ring:

    I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening.

    The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered.

    Reflector:


    Emitter:


    So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts....

    The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers.

    The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion.

    The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON".

    The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild.

    I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated.

    Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know.

    Size comparisons:

    XT12GT in hand:


    TM16GT in hand


    XT12GT vs Thorfire C8


    Collection....


    Beamshots will continue tonight..........


    If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below:
    https://goo.gl/8MKaHR


    .......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637
    Very good review. Thank you. I ordered mine through bang good as well. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-C View Post
    A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release. I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome. Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect. Parcel: A couple of pictures of it in the box: Top: Bottom: Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring. Top of box: All items: There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out. Battery in tube: Close up of battery: I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank. I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on. Magnetic charger thing: I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v. USB Monitor: I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low. Battery ring: I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening. The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered. Reflector: Emitter: So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts.... The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers. The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion. The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON". The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild. I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated. Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know. Size comparisons: XT12GT in hand: TM16GT in hand XT12GT vs Thorfire C8 Collection.... Beamshots will continue tonight.......... If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below: https://goo.gl/8MKaHR .......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637
    Awesome review!!!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic LeafSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    260

    Default Klarus XT12GT - Review

    I have this light and it's now my favourite thrower. I find that it is built more solid than Armytek lights, which is very tough. You do get the magnetic charger thingy for free. It's a beautiful warm white beam but only one mode, which is sufficient for close-up reading tasks. Get discount codes from tatarsal or freeme.

  7. #7
    harro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Nice review thankyou very much. Any chance of a few beamshots in the offing. That would round out a great review. Nice to see Klarus taking this route with the X-HP35.

    Gosh, doesn't it make the TM16GT look absolutely massive.
    Last edited by harro; 12-23-2016 at 03:15 AM.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic druidmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Can't wait for the beamshots! I need a companion for my Eagletac G25c2
    Crelant E3, Astrolux S1, Fitorch MR35, Nitecore TM28, Manker MK34 (219C), Klarus Mi7, Klarus XT12GT, Thrunite TN40, Zebralight H602w, HDS Rotary 200, Spark ST6 500CW, Olight SR90, Ra Clicky 140, Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L, 6D Maglite incan, Petzl headlamp.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by druidmars View Post
    Can't wait for the beamshots! I need a companion for my Eagletac G25c2
    rubbish beamshots are here:
    http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637

  10. #10
    Flashaholic druidmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Thanks.
    Can you estimate the distance?
    Crelant E3, Astrolux S1, Fitorch MR35, Nitecore TM28, Manker MK34 (219C), Klarus Mi7, Klarus XT12GT, Thrunite TN40, Zebralight H602w, HDS Rotary 200, Spark ST6 500CW, Olight SR90, Ra Clicky 140, Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L, 6D Maglite incan, Petzl headlamp.

  11. #11
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Thanks for the review! I've got one on order, can't wait to get it! As far as using this light to charge other batteries, I think I read somewhere that it can only charge the Klarus batteries (special design?).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    The tree is exactly 100m away. Used a laser distance measurer and it was showing as 100m and about 8mm..

    At that distance it totally lit the tree up.

    Haven't had a chance for a proper distance test but my street is well lit as it is and it threw a huge chunk of light there

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rosemount
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Klarus XT12GT - Review

    I have been giving some thought to getting an 18650 thrower. When I snoop around, it would seem as if high marks go to the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and others. They can be found for similar prices, but doesn't the Klarus XT12G come with a battery, but the Olight doesn't?

  14. #14
    Enlightened cruzian3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    I have been giving some thought to getting an 18650 thrower. When I snoop around, it would seem as if high marks go to the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and others. They can be found for similar prices, but doesn't the Klarus XT12G come with a battery, but the Olight doesn't?
    The Klarus requires that battery though. You can't just put any 18650 in the XT12GT

  15. #15
    Flashaholic LeafSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzian3 View Post
    The Klarus requires that battery though. You can't just put any 18650 in the XT12GT
    Not exactly right. You can use any protected battery on the XT12GT, but it won't show its full brightness. However, any good IMR unprotected batteries with a high discharge rate, similar to the Klarus batteries, can power the light just fine to its full brightness.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Thanks for the review, you've twisted my arm!

  17. #17
    Flashaholic druidmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    I have been giving some thought to getting an 18650 thrower. When I snoop around, it would seem as if high marks go to the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and others. They can be found for similar prices, but doesn't the Klarus XT12G come with a battery, but the Olight doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafSamurai View Post
    Not exactly right. You can use any protected battery on the XT12GT, but it won't show its full brightness. However, any good IMR unprotected batteries with a high discharge rate, similar to the Klarus batteries, can power the light just fine to its full brightness.
    Since it comes with a battery AND it's not proprietary, it's definitely a plus.
    Crelant E3, Astrolux S1, Fitorch MR35, Nitecore TM28, Manker MK34 (219C), Klarus Mi7, Klarus XT12GT, Thrunite TN40, Zebralight H602w, HDS Rotary 200, Spark ST6 500CW, Olight SR90, Ra Clicky 140, Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L, 6D Maglite incan, Petzl headlamp.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rosemount
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Has anybody here seen any great prices on this yet?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    There's were a few group buys, but I believe only 1s available

  20. #20
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Does anyone know how much parasitic drain is going thru the e-switch of the paddle button?

    A review of the Klarus XT11GT showed a rather large 300 micro-amp standby drain for the similar paddle switch on that light so I was just wondering...

    300 micro-amps of parasitic drain is like having a <1 lumen 'moon mode' in a constant-on situation - a pretty big drain.

    Who knows, maybe Klarus fixed this issue in the XT12GT.

    Note: The really early dual switch Klarus models (XT11) with the oval rubber secondary button had a really low 1 micro-amp parasitic drain. These early dual switch models didn't have a separate inner metal tube either (like the XT12GT). Maybe they had the driver in the tailcap and didn't need the separate inner metal tube to 'communicate' with the driver in the head?
    Last edited by carl; 12-27-2016 at 12:45 AM.
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

  21. #21
    Enlightened cruzian3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Just got mine.... Love it.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic druidmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PORTUGAL
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Lucky you! I try not to think about it too much as the delivery is expected on the 31st of January only... especially since I lost my Eagletac G25C2!

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzian3 View Post
    Just got mine.... Love it.
    Crelant E3, Astrolux S1, Fitorch MR35, Nitecore TM28, Manker MK34 (219C), Klarus Mi7, Klarus XT12GT, Thrunite TN40, Zebralight H602w, HDS Rotary 200, Spark ST6 500CW, Olight SR90, Ra Clicky 140, Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L, 6D Maglite incan, Petzl headlamp.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Whoooaaa...that's serious lumen and firepower you got there!

  24. #24
    harro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Here's a beamshot of mine. Due to circumstances the photo was at late twilight, but the sign on the vacant block is 110M~ and the back fence of the same block is 170M~.


    facing pretty much at the sign


    aimed up a tad to show spill

  25. #25
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Nice pictures and review.
    Last edited by Mag317; 01-15-2017 at 07:36 PM.

  26. #26
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Does anyone know how much parasitic drain is going thru the e-switch of the paddle button?

    A review of the Klarus XT11GT showed a rather large 300 micro-amp standby drain for the similar paddle switch on that light so I was just wondering...

    300 micro-amps of parasitic drain is like having a <1 lumen 'moon mode' in a constant-on situation - a pretty big drain.

    Who knows, maybe Klarus fixed this issue in the XT12GT.

    Note: The really early dual switch Klarus models (XT11) with the oval rubber secondary button had a really low 1 micro-amp parasitic drain. These early dual switch models didn't have a separate inner metal tube either (like the XT12GT). Maybe they had the driver in the tailcap and didn't need the separate inner metal tube to 'communicate' with the driver in the head?
    Likewise - I haven't been able to find any measurements for the drain, but thought I'd read somewhere it was a manual switch?
    I've had the torch for a few weeks now and it doesn't seem to drain appreciably, but not being particularly expert and without any measurement tools, I'm not sure how much it does drain if at all.

    Also, on a couple of other lights Olight S2 Baton and a Nitecore EC1 (which does drain the battery as the red led flashes), unscrewing the cap slightly to disable the light seems a good way of ensuring the battery is disconnected. If I do this on these lights, when the light is on, the light goes out, but on screwing the cap tight again, the light remains off and I need to re-activate the switch, so I assume this indicates an electronic switch (with some level of drain when off).

    If I try the same on the XT12GT, on screwing the cap back on, the light comes back on. Is this an indication of a manual rather than electronic switch? And if so, is there any drain when switched off?

    Reason I'd like to know is that if switching it off really does switch it off, then there's no need to unscrew the cap slightly.

    I hope this makes sense?

    Thanks.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    The main rubber switch is a mechanical clicky but the paddle switch, according to all reviewers who talk about it, is definitely an e-switch. Therefore, a parasitic drain is a part of this light.

    Parasitic drain, in itself, is no big deal as long as its small. Small, meaning less then 100 microamps. However, this light seems to be up to 300 microamps - which will drain a standard single 3100mAh 18650 in a little over a year if my calculations are correct (?)


    3100 milliAmp-hours = 3100,000 microAmp-hours.

    3100,000 microAmp-hours / 300 microAmps = 10333 hours.

    10333 hours / (24 hours/day) = 430 days = 1.2 years ?


    1) Zebralights typically keep their parasitic drain below 20 microamps.

    2) The Nitecore TM03 with a similar tailcap with dual switches (but no separate inner metal tube) is assumed to deplete its 3100 mAh 18650 battery in about 1 year also. However, this was a guess on the part of two reviewers who did not take actual measurements.

    3) Fenix has a few dual-switch tailcap lights with a metal inner tube but no one has measured the parasitic drain on those yet.

    4) Lumintop has their ED20-T with its dual tailcap switch but I don't know if anyone has measured the parasitic drain on that one either. This light has been on the market a long time. I think the ED20-T has the driver in the tail end and without a separate metal inner tube.
    Last edited by carl; 02-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,802

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    good review. I personally do not believe this thing is cranking 1600 lumens not even close but I am sure its still bright as heck. I just dont trust Klarus. Having been a member here for some time now I have just read to many stories of their customer service being literally non existent. The Eagtac G25C2 MkIII drops this month from what I have read I will be saving my pennies for that XHP35 beast the G25C2 MkII has been one of the greatest high output "tactical" lights I have ever had so looking forward to it.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    Whether you've noticed yet or not... low mode on the Klarus has PWM. I did NOT see it on the other modes.

    Aside from that, which might be minor depending on your use, it IS a very good light!!

  30. #30
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seymour, TN
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

    I ordered the XT12GT from Goinggear.com this past Wednesday and am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive! I'll be primarily using this for work in place of my current daily MagLite 3-cell D LED (ML300L).. which I still really love. I was looking getting the Olight M23 Javelot, but decided on the XT12GT.. Still will probably get the M23 soon though.. lol

    Anywho.. hoping the XT12GT comes soon. I ordered it from Goinggear.com on Wednesday and it said it was supposed to be delivered today (Feb 17th) via FedEx 2-Day shipping.. FedEx tracking says "Label Created" and "Shipment information sent to FedEx" on the order status. And has said that since Wednesday, 10:30am EST. No change as of this post. Guess I'll be contacting FedEx to see what's going on.

    But, that's another story..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •