Klarus XT12GT - Review

Chris-C

Newly Enlightened
A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release.

I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome.

Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect.

Parcel:
klarus01.jpg

A couple of pictures of it in the box:

Top:
klarus02.jpg

Bottom:
klarus03.jpg

Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring.

Top of box:
klarus04.jpg

All items:
klarus05.jpg

There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out.

Battery in tube:
klarus06.jpg

Close up of battery:
klarus07.jpg

I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank.

I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on.

Magnetic charger thing:
klarus08.jpg

I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v.

USB Monitor:
klarus09.jpg

I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low.

Battery ring:
klarus10.jpg

I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening.

The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered.

Reflector:
klarus11.jpg

Emitter:
klarus12.jpg

So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts....

The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers.

The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion.

The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON".

The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild.

I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated.

Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know.

Size comparisons:

XT12GT in hand:
klarus13.jpg

TM16GT in hand
klarus14.jpg

XT12GT vs Thorfire C8
klarus15.jpg

Collection....
klarus16.jpg

Beamshots will continue tonight..........

If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below:
https://goo.gl/8MKaHR

.......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637

cruzian3

Newly Enlightened
A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release.

I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome.

Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect.

Parcel:
klarus01.jpg

A couple of pictures of it in the box:

Top:
klarus02.jpg

Bottom:
klarus03.jpg

Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring.

Top of box:
klarus04.jpg

All items:
klarus05.jpg

There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out.

Battery in tube:
klarus06.jpg

Close up of battery:
klarus07.jpg

I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank.

I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on.

Magnetic charger thing:
klarus08.jpg

I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v.

USB Monitor:
klarus09.jpg

I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low.

Battery ring:
klarus10.jpg

I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening.

The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered.

Reflector:
klarus11.jpg

Emitter:
klarus12.jpg

So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts....

The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers.

The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion.

The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON".

The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild.

I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated.

Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know.

Size comparisons:

XT12GT in hand:
klarus13.jpg

TM16GT in hand
klarus14.jpg

XT12GT vs Thorfire C8
klarus15.jpg

Collection....
klarus16.jpg

Beamshots will continue tonight..........

If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below:
https://goo.gl/8MKaHR

.......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637
Very good review. Thank you. I ordered mine through bang good as well. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I made an offer to "Banggood" to write a review for a flashlight for them and after a few exchanges of email I was left thinking I wasn't wanted. Out of the blue I got an e-mail asking me if I'd still like to review a product for them and a matter of days later this Klarus XT12GT arrived. I think I might be one of the first with one in my possession as I've seen no reviews of it online nor have I seen many comments apart from one person who managed to get hold of a very early release. I've only had the flashlight in my hands for ~90minutes and in that time I've snapped a few photos and I've made my mind up on the light already. Its awesome. Unpacking the parcel. The light was in a grey plastic bag with my address on and inside that bag was the below. Not much wrapping but the box was fine and the light was perfect. Parcel: A couple of pictures of it in the box: Top: Bottom: Once I'd taken these photos I thought "hey, I should do an unboxing video" but a few seconds later I was opening it up further like a kid at Christmas. Slide out of the cardboard and you see the torch and the magnetic connector thing. Initial thoughts was "this box is a bit empty" but a quick flip over revealed the manual, USB lead (which is a lovely quality cable) and a case. Inside the case is a lanyard and o-ring. Top of box: All items: There is a little label on the belt clip that reminds you to take the plastic tabs out from the battery. They obviously ship with the tags in to stop them turning on in transport. I lifted the tag off and grab the battery out. Battery in tube: Close up of battery: I then put the battery into the battery charger to check its voltage. It's 3.49v and stone cold. The light was in transport for a while and the van was clearly unheated as it was ~3c. I took a photo of it on the Opus BT-C3100 charger but it seems the photo I took was at the exact second the charger flashed the voltage and the slot for the battery was showing as blank. I quickly grabbed the magnetic charger connector and light unit and noticed the difference in the tint of the torch to the light on the keychain thing. This is a very warm light - as if you've got a maglite solitare in your hand. The unit seems tough and the switch on the back is VERY secure. I bite my fingers so have no finger nails and I actually struggled to turn the light on. Magnetic charger thing: I plugged the usb lead into a USB power supply and noticed that it was charging the battery and drawing ~0.87/0.88A @5v. USB Monitor: I then thought I better check the Klarus's internal battery monitor so a short press on the mode switch and the magnetic contact ring lit up red meaning the battery was low. Battery ring: I took the battery out to finish charging on the Opus charger so I can have a proper play tonight with it. I doubt I'm going to get some proper beam shots from it tonight due to the fog that we've had in the evening but I'll get a shot in my street as an example and post it later this evening. The reflector is impressive for the size of the light and the emitter seems well centered. Reflector: Emitter: So, that's the pictures for now over with. Now onto my thoughts.... The light is a great size. It fits in my hand perfectly and feels well built. The threads are all silky smooth and there is no grab or drag on any of them. They're lubricated but not wet so when I touched them I wasn't left with goop on my fingers. The magnetic contact for charging is awesome. I think this light might be my go to light from now on because I can keep the magnetic contact on my car keys so they are always with me (well, nearly) and then you can just top the batteries up using your micro usb cable from your laptop or car or power bank or whatever. I suppose you could even use this to charge up batteries that you've got in other lights that you've simply forgotten your dedicated charger for. The charge time shouldnt be too bad either because if it's drawing ~0.9A at 5v it should be giving a decent charge rate with losses and voltage conversion. The user defined modes are funky. I admit I had to read the manual and I wont bother explaining it in here, just read the manual when you get one. You can basically have an "ON / OFF" switch and a momentary switch. Out of the box the momentary switch is set to strobe which is a crazy strobe. Brilliant for tactical stuff if you ever needed it but I honestly dont think I'd ever need it. I put mine onto the mode that allows momentary to be "LOW" and the main switch is "ON". The beam seems brilliant. I've only tested it inside in the day time but the hotspot is a hotspot. It's a tight beam compared to some other lights and it certainly looks like it'll perform well in the wild. I'll save the next post for myself for some beam shots tonight and I'll see what I can compare it against. I have a couple of dedicated throwers that I might step down to ~1000/1500 lumens to see what they can do. I might even bring out the TN31 and compare that to it considering its much bigger with a much bigger reflector it'll be interesting. I don't think the XT12GT will beat it but my gut feeling from the daytime tests says it shouldn't be humiliated. Got a few hours before I can test it in the dark so any questions you've got before then let me know. Size comparisons: XT12GT in hand: TM16GT in hand XT12GT vs Thorfire C8 Collection.... Beamshots will continue tonight.......... If you want to grab yourself one of these please use the below: https://goo.gl/8MKaHR .......... actually, beamshots might appear here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51637

Awesome review!!!

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I have this light and it's now my favourite thrower. I find that it is built more solid than Armytek lights, which is very tough. You do get the magnetic charger thingy for free. It's a beautiful warm white beam but only one mode, which is sufficient for close-up reading tasks. Get discount codes from tatarsal or freeme.

harro

Enlightened
Nice review thankyou very much. Any chance of a few beamshots in the offing. That would round out a great review. Nice to see Klarus taking this route with the X-HP35.

Gosh, doesn't it make the TM16GT look absolutely massive. :eek:

Last edited:

Clm65

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I've got one on order, can't wait to get it! As far as using this light to charge other batteries, I think I read somewhere that it can only charge the Klarus batteries (special design?).

Chris-C

Newly Enlightened
The tree is exactly 100m away. Used a laser distance measurer and it was showing as 100m and about 8mm..

At that distance it totally lit the tree up.

Haven't had a chance for a proper distance test but my street is well lit as it is and it threw a huge chunk of light there

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been giving some thought to getting an 18650 thrower. When I snoop around, it would seem as if high marks go to the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and others. They can be found for similar prices, but doesn't the Klarus XT12G come with a battery, but the Olight doesn't?

cruzian3

Newly Enlightened
I have been giving some thought to getting an 18650 thrower. When I snoop around, it would seem as if high marks go to the Olight M2X-UT Javelot and others. They can be found for similar prices, but doesn't the Klarus XT12G come with a battery, but the Olight doesn't?
The Klarus requires that battery though. You can't just put any 18650 in the XT12GT

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
The Klarus requires that battery though. You can't just put any 18650 in the XT12GT

Not exactly right. You can use any protected battery on the XT12GT, but it won't show its full brightness. However, any good IMR unprotected batteries with a high discharge rate, similar to the Klarus batteries, can power the light just fine to its full brightness.

druidmars

Enlightened

Not exactly right. You can use any protected battery on the XT12GT, but it won't show its full brightness. However, any good IMR unprotected batteries with a high discharge rate, similar to the Klarus batteries, can power the light just fine to its full brightness.

Since it comes with a battery AND it's not proprietary, it's definitely a plus.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how much parasitic drain is going thru the e-switch of the paddle button?

A review of the Klarus XT11GT showed a rather large 300 micro-amp standby drain for the similar paddle switch on that light so I was just wondering...

300 micro-amps of parasitic drain is like having a <1 lumen 'moon mode' in a constant-on situation - a pretty big drain.

Who knows, maybe Klarus fixed this issue in the XT12GT.

Note: The really early dual switch Klarus models (XT11) with the oval rubber secondary button had a really low 1 micro-amp parasitic drain. These early dual switch models didn't have a separate inner metal tube either (like the XT12GT). Maybe they had the driver in the tailcap and didn't need the separate inner metal tube to 'communicate' with the driver in the head?

Last edited: