Gearbest        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klarus XT12GT - Review

Default Re: Klarus XT12GT - Review

Quote Originally Posted by RBWNY View Post
    Whether you've noticed yet or not... low mode on the Klarus has PWM. I did NOT see it on the other modes.

Aside from that, which might be minor depending on your use, it IS a very good light!!
    It actually has PWM control on the two lowest modes. High and turbo appear to be current controlled. This was determined by pointing the light at a rotating personal fan. Strobing effect on the two low modes apparent, and nothing on the two higher modes. It is a great light to use. Nice dimentions and easy to edc.

Unenlightened

Got my XT12GT delivered to me today.. after some small delays. Went outside with it tonight to play around with it and test it out. I must say, I am quite impressed with this little light! It was a bit foggy out here in SE Tennessee tonight, but it was pretty cool seeing the XT12GT cutting through it. Definitely no buyers remorse with this pickup.

Now I just have to figure out what I am getting next.. lol

Unenlightened

Thanks for the review, it looks interesting!

I think I am gonna go with the XT11GT which has a smaller head and the USB port built right in - the magnetic charger seems to me more like a bug that has been promoted to a feature

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Lawr3nce View Post
    Thanks for the review, it looks interesting!

I think I am gonna go with the XT11GT which has a smaller head and the USB port built right in - the magnetic charger seems to me more like a bug that has been promoted to a feature
    I'm a little curious how well the magnetic charger will hold up too, especially should someone try charging it after coming in from the rain or something, without letting it dry well enough first. However, I think I'd trust it a lot more than a micro usb port. I really hate that micro usb seems to have become the new standard. I have to put my reading glasses on just to make sure I'm not inserting the things upside down on my phone or tablet and it's not really so much smaller than a mini usb to justify the added aggravation. Not to mention micro-usb ports seem much more prone to failure, according to all the reports I've read from ports going bad on phones and tablets. But, maybe most of those are from people who need reading glasses too. Regardless, in addition to being easier to hook up, the magnetic charger at least seems to be potentially more reliable. Time will tell...

I did find it curious that I couldn't charge my phone off the micro usb cable included with the Klarus. I've never run into a compatibility issue with micro usb cables themselves before. Sometimes the usb-ac adapter might have firmware installed specifically for the device it was intended to be used with, but the cables being made different too is just getting ridiculous.

That said, I'm actually tempted to think I might like the XT11GT better too. I love the 12, but the extra lumens seem more like the "gimmick" here to me, as the light heats up so fast it can't sustain the extra output for any practical length of time. It's really more like an 800 lumen light with 1600 lumen bonus mode. Which is awesome in and of itself. However the reflector being designed for the added throw makes for a narrower beam. It's not a huge distinction, but it's definitely worth considering. And the added reach of the 12 seems to be moving beyond what's needed for human eyesight. At my age, I need reading glasses, but I still have perfect visibility at a distance. Comparing this with a 1000 lumen rated Lumintop TD16 in a wide open field, it was clear the Klarus could reach farther, but I felt like I needed a scope to really appreciate the extra reach. Where the Lumintop lit up more of my immediate surroundings, about just as brightly, and could sustain it for closer to 5 minutes. I can usually get where I'm going or do what I need with a flashlight in five minutes, not so much in only one minute. But, again, if it can sustain 800 lumens for a lot longer as tests show, assuming the heat subsides or doesn't make it too fragile when dropped, I'm good with that. I would have preferred lights high mode have been at least 600 lumens though, if not 800. I'd just assume go straight to 800 lumens rather than be potentially distracted by the light heating up in my hand while I'm holding a gun with the other.

My main criticism with this light though, is with what Klarus dubs a "tactical ring". It's not very large. Even with thin leather gloves, it's a little difficult to find the ring quickly between your fingers. With much thicker Kevlar lined gloves, it's even harder to feel. Furthermore, for a tactical hold using the ring, the tail clicky MUST protrude beyond the butt of the light, as it's activated by the palm of your hand, not your thumb like you'd use holding in an arm-bar position. So the "tactical ring" is effectively, just an anti-roll ring. There's little "tactical" about it. The thought that Klarus apparently doesn't know the difference makes me lose confidence in other aspects of their design. But I didn't intend it for duty use, so I'm happy for what I bought it for.
    Last edited by Chad Varnadore; 05-04-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Unenlightened

New Here... Just got one of these great lights, I am curious - what is that ring for towards the tail of the light - it rotates freely?
    Thanks...

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by bobavarbock View Post
    New Here... Just got one of these great lights, I am curious - what is that ring for towards the tail of the light - it rotates freely?
    Thanks...
    It's a tactical ring. At least Klarus still calls it that. Though in this lights design, it's really nothing more than an anti-roll ring. With a tactical handgun hold, you use two fingers to hook the ring and press the but of the light against your palm in your weak hand, while still stabilizing the firearm to some degree. But as the ring on the Klarus is low profile, rotates freely, and since the tail switch is recessed where you can't activate the light with your palm, it can't be used with a tactical hold. In the case of this Klarus, tactical is more about fashion than function, so it's really just something to keep the light from rolling off the table.

Enlightened

Lately my XT12GT has been flickering right when I turn it on. A mild smack on the side always straightens it out so far. And it won't happen again for the entire time I use it, even if I turn it off momentarily. But if it sits for an hour or so, when I go to turn it on again the flicker has returned. The battery has a full charge at present and no more than I've used it, it's only been charged about half a dozen times. It's never been dropped, nor has it been submerged. Anybody seen similar flicker with the Klarus or similar LEDs who might know what's going on? Right now it hasn't been a problem, but if it's likely to develop into something more serious, I want to get it checked out inside the warranty period.

Enlightened

Just to update, the flickering hasn't gotten any worse, in fact it may have improved, or I've just stopped looking for it. But now the mode switch has started acting up: The light sticks in turbo every time it's turned on after just a short period of inactivity. Turning it off and back on again seems to fix it, but it'll still stick occasionally even after being on for a short while. It's never been dropped or even gotten wet, so I have no idea what's going on. Happens both when the battery is low and when it's fully charged.
    Last edited by Chad Varnadore; 01-03-2018 at 01:28 PM.

I just got my XT12gt today! And boy it didn't disappoint. However, how come it doesn't have the small magnetic led on it's charger anymore? Does anyone know? All I got is the magnetic charger itself without the warm light led thingy (

Quote Originally Posted by soulzaeb View Post
    I just got my XT12gt today! And boy it didn't disappoint. However, how come it doesn't have the small magnetic led on it's charger anymore? Does anyone know? All I got is the magnetic charger itself without the warm light led thingy (
    That's very disappointing.

Ok so I wrote them an email asking why. And this is their reply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12