I lose them at work - need budget light with known lumens

westfielder

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm a paramedic and often ask police or Fire to hold my lamps while I treat a patient - trouble is...I never seem to get them back!

I thought my my XML T6 based "1600lm" zoomable was fine 'till I compared it to a 340lm pen torch and the 340lm blew it out of the water .

I looked for a post that actually has lumens measured for different flashlights but found one 6 years old.

There are so many wild claims of lumens from so many sites - how to find real lumen torches is difficult

Zoomable is really useful and what I need

So I need recommendations of low cost (up to $30 USD) zoomable flashlights up to 6" long that I can buy without ending up with a copy/fake that can be replaced when I lose it

Looking to get 600-1000lm - is that possible?

Thanks in advance - (please could you only reply if you know the real lumens of what you are recommending- not being rude but - "I bought xxxx and it's really bright" is really subjective and not so useful - thanks for understanding)

Kind Regards

Nick

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Hey Nick, they can't 'steal' a headlamp. :D

Or, you put a small label on your lights, "Please return to Nick ASAP".

Or, "Please return before doing YOUR accident paperwork, thank you".

I tape on my labels after choosing a font.

joemap

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a 6-8 ft paracord lanyard looped through your flashlight (if equipped) and to your belt could help eliminate your lights getting too far away. 20+ years ago I worked as an EMT and never thought about lights. Now, it makes great sense.

Agree also with the above post about headlamps. Told my wife the other day that I'm starting to realize I could really use something like that (or something that can be used with or without the headband).

Just my $.02

Joe

arKmm

Enlightened
600-1000 lumen isn't that much more in real terms than 400 and at the £30/$30 price point you're unlikely to find a good 600+ one.

Id suggest getting the LED Lenser P7.2

Its about 400lm, zoom able, very well made, reputable company, and runs on AAA so you'll probably find you'll be able to get batteries at your employer to save you buying your own when replacements are needed. It comes with a holster and first set of batteries included. Has low/high/boost levels so you have either a lot of light coming out, or a little for if you're just doing paperwork.

arKmm

Enlightened
My girlfriend who is a paramedic has the QuiqliteX which she clips onto her top for hands free illumination. Again, has multiple light levels for if you just need to light paperwork or everything around you. Rechargeable also. Usually £30-40. Genuine lumens (as advertised, can't remember the figure though)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I bought a crelant CH10 headlamp, that I liked so much that my son bought one too.
It comes in neutral white, and has two programmable settings. You can ramp it up or down to any amount of light that you need for a particular situation.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good penlight style light would be the Lumintop IYP365. As an EMT, I think you would do better with the Nichea 219 emitter, since it gives a much better color rendition, which could be critical in your line of work. Two AAA cells, I would recommend lithium primaries for run time and no leakage, but you could use NiMH as well. Three modes, 25/1.5/125 lumens. You notice it starts on medium, then goes to low, and finally high. It has no mode memory, so it always goes in that sequence. Best of all, they are only $25 on Amazon. I realize they don't have the output numbers you were talking about, but I think you should get one and give it a trial run. If you really feel you need more output and can give up on the better color rendition, it also comes with a Cree emitter that does about 50% more output, but in my experience while the difference sounds like a lot, it isn't really. Considering that you need a 400% increase in output to visually double the display, the difference between 125 lumens and 240 lumens isn't really that much.

Another option would be the TerraLUX Lightstar 80. 2AAA penlight. It only puts out 80 lumens, but it has a CRI of about 85, which while not as good as the Nichea, is better than most other lights. I wouldn't use it as my primary light in your position, but would keep one on hand so if someone wanted to borrow a light, you could let them have that one. At around $15 each, they make a nice general purpose light.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a headlight would be the best solution: your hands are free, no one "borrows" it, it lights up exactly where you look at. The only moment -- you should look for a high CRI emitter as proper color rendition is vital in your area of activities.

P.S.: Very strange. Made a search myself and found not a single headlamp with a Nichia 219B LED.

Last edited:

westfielder

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your valuable input - for the penlight recommendations, my tiny AAA size Ultratac K18 340lm (when using a 10440 cell) is pretty awesome and can be turned down to sensible lumens for paperwork etc.

I attend a lot of jobs where I need an overview of the scene, may need to leave a light with someone for lighting a scene/patient or use it with long throw for searching. I hadn't realised how much quiklites had advanced so may well go down that route anyway as well. I may have to look at buying 2x lights for the different purposes.

I also appreciate the fact that no one said "Oi! fill out the suggestions checklist". Thank You

I realise that my lumens/£ ratio just isn't going to get realised. I was hoping that some of the Chinese cheap brands/clones (because I don't really need the durability or finish) may have had higher end lumens and when they quote 5000 I might get 500 sort of thing but seems not. Or even a cheapo zoomable that actually drives an XML-T6 to get the the upper end of the theoretical output???

Anyway, here's the checklist:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_X___This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
_X__Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_X___I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
_X___I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X___I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_X___I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

_X___SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
__X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

Ideally zoomable for 9 & 9a

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x___50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_x___150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_x___Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
_x___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_x___Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
_x___I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
__x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__x__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

What a great forum - thanks for your friendly input.

Nick

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one would be Fenix FD41 with one exception -- it is $84.95: http://goinggear.com/fenix-fd41-900-lumen-1-x-18650-cree-xp-l-hi-led-flashlight.html

fenix-fd41-1-003.jpg

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at Convoy. They are cheap, reliable, simple, and can be had in neutral white. The specs on them also aren't over exaggerated. May I also suggest carrying one light just for your use and then a loaner light you don't have to worry about that way you know you will have a light. A headlamp would also be a great addition. I prefer Fenix's headlamps myself.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realise that my lumens/£ ratio just isn't going to get realised. I was hoping that some of the Chinese cheap brands/clones (because I don't really need the durability or finish) may have had higher end lumens and when they quote 5000 I might get 500 sort of thing but seems not. Or even a cheapo zoomable that actually drives an XML-T6 to get the the upper end of the theoretical output???
A quick way to check out lumens claims is to go to the LED datasheet. As an example, looking at the CREE XM-L2 datasheet, the highest output given @700mA is between 300-340 lumens, given the LED temp. Those numbers were for a Cool White tint, the other tints will be lower. Now, a little less than one amp is about what one could expect from a single AA/14500 cell and still get a decent run time.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at Convoy. They are cheap, reliable, simple, and can be had in neutral white. The specs on them also aren't over exaggerated. May I also suggest carrying one light just for your use and then a loaner light you don't have to worry about that way you know you will have a light. A headlamp would also be a great addition. I prefer Fenix's headlamps myself.

I agree with this,the Convoy are pretty amazing by many standards but especially considering how inexpensive they are.
I have a few S2+ in Neutral and they are just great!
I like them so much that I ordered a couple of S2+ in Cool White to try for under $12 each and they are GREAT TOO!

They are so cheap that you can let them out and not be too upset if they don't come back,well except for the batteries I suppose?

Anyway if they will reach out as far as you want I would select a version of a Convoy ad get a few of them.

I have ordered 3 times now from Gearbest and gotten the gear within a week or so somehow too!?

westfielder

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

hope this post gets through - I did reply a week ago but nothing appoved :-(

Thanks all for your suggestions,

Yes , the convoys seem to be exactly what I'm looking for
There is one that fits all my needs perfectly

Here

Thanks all for your help :)

Nick

Latest posts