Can Olight H1 Nova use a charging tail-cap and dock?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks as though the new Olight H1 Nova headlamp ought to be capable of charging through the tail-cap, if you swapped its tail-cap with one of their models that charges in a dock, e.g. the S1R Baton. And I assume that's the reason why they designed it with the reversed battery lay-out??

But: I don't have any other Olights, and in particular I don't have any that charge through the tail-cap, so I have not had the opportunity to try out whether any of the charging tail-caps are compatible with the H1 Nova. Maybe none of them fit? Maybe they do, but it still won't charge a cell?

Anyone out there tried this yet?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, Heiti567!

So there is no problem with the electrical part, but the mechanical part does not work well.

It sounds like Olight can solve this problem whenever they want by offering a properly-designed tailcap as an upgrade.

Heiti567

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget to use the special 16340 with plus and minus on one side otherwise you won't be able to charge within the light. Can't say if Olight has an. intention to change the H1 tail-cap, but I would like that to.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Fyi, they are planning to release the new H1R in early 2017. However, not sure if the recharging tailcap for H1R is available separately or not. They did scrap (or put-on-hold) the plan to release a recharging tailcap for S-series a while back tho... :shrug:

proceed5

Enlightened
I have experimented placing my S1R's Tail Cap (with the stock S1R Olight Battery) onto my S1 and it works just as normal, as in, it works normally and it also charges in the charging dock and cables (but no idea whether the charge is accurate or not).

Also tried placing the same S1R's Tail Cap onto my H1 and it also works.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, proceed5! That's the info I needed.

So it all works electronically. And rookiedaddy says they are introducing a rechargeable version. Let's hope they also sell the rechargeable tail-cap for backwards compatibility.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Let's hope they also sell the rechargeable tail-cap for backwards compatibility.
received a couple of pics of the new H1R from manufacturer, see this post here.
IF they decides to release a rechargeable tailcap for H1 separately, remember that you will need their "customized" RCR123 for in-light recharging. I think IF they do release it, it'll likely comes in a package: Tailcap + battery. :popcorn:

proceed5

Enlightened
Highly suspect that Olight might be launching this H1R mid or end January 2017.

And yes, I agree with LampeDepeche, Olight should sell the Rechargeable Tail Caps separately.

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
H1R is now available for preorder. :party:
Shipping to start January 15.

flashlight_olight_h1r_11-750x750.jpg