replacement bulbs for the old Chromies (led bulbs) Ray O Vac/ Eveready

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Good day everyone,
Im wanting to replace the bulbs in my old school flashlights, I have a couple of C size and D size Sportsmans and Captains, Im looking at the Dorcy replacements maybe other brands,not sure of the size and would the led bulbs actually work with no problems? Would it be a simple drop in replacement?
Thanks in advance,

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The two issues I've come across with PR based LED dropins is focus and output. With some lights and some dropins you don't get a nice beam either a flood or a donut hole and also dropins aren't necessarily bright either lucky to get 40 lumens out of them. If you don't mind a dim dropin (bout 12 lumens) you can buy the 2AA rayovac LED light for about $1.50 it has a PR base dropin but it is low output.

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply Lynx,
i am mainly wanting to make the old guys a little brighter, not really shooting for a high lumen light just a little brighter and am not sure of the size and or pros and cons of doing this.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The NiteIze ones from places like Home Depot will breath new life into your incan clunkers like the Sportsman.

Here's a stock vs NiteIze'd 2C captain about 15' from a wall.

The stock 1960 something bulb

The $8 LED bulb.

So yeah aiming at walls brings out the flaws but in regular use like putting out the trash, spotting snakes while the dogs pee before bed... they're fine and really add to the fuel mileage of those C and D cells.
To me they are well worth it. Especially for lights that have sentimental value. I've done just about all of my dads old lights (RIP) because... they were my pops flashlights.

Cannot speak for the Dorcy brand but would speculate you'd get similar results.

Another trick I use in those Vietnam era Fulton right angle lights is "Mag White Star" 2 cell krypton bulbs from places like Z Battery .com. Wow! What a difference vs the old vacuum type.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nite-Ize is a decent option at $8 some retailers charge more so shop around. The current Dorcys are 10MM LEDs like the Rayovac drop-ins Walmart was selling. The color temperature and output probably won't be as good as the Nite-Ize but it may focus better in some lights and they can usually be found cheap,currently $2.99 on Dorcy's site.

Unfortunately since most new lights are now purpose built LEDs there seems to be little interest in making LED drop-ins for incans. Dorcy's original drop-in some years back used a LUX I (this was before CREE hit the market) and could operate on 1 - 8 batteries. I wish Dorcy would have updated that design with a more efficient LED but I am sure the 10MM models are cheaper to produce and more profitable.