50W 100W LED floodlight emitters?

Redd

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly the right place to ask the question, but I thought some folks here might known about "scorchers". (Mods, please feel free to relocate.)

I have a pair of "fifty watt" LED floodlights bought several years ago on Amazon. They use a 50W rated emitter, which appears to be a 5x5 or 6x6 grid of actual emitters all cheek-to-cheek in one "postage stamp" sized yellow emitter grid. This is in a reflector in an outdoor floodlight style case, with a 110VAC-to-whatever power supply built in a case on the rear.

I've used them as wall-washers for bright indoor lighting. And after 2-1/2 years, the first one started flickering (apparently one row of emitters only, but that's enough to be very annoying) and I retired it. Now the second has started flickering, this time the entire assembly. Looking inside the first showed no visible problems in the circuit board for the power supply, so I'm taking a WAG that either they are cheap emitters, or they've taken heat damage, or been run at too high a current to get the brightness up.

Before I junk them (the housings are quite a nice piece of work, really) I was wondering about replacing the emitters themselves. There are a number sold online, ranging from $8-30, in the same 50W rating although which are "bolt in" is a bit uncertain because of the way these things are cast and mount. They also seem to be rated 32-34V or 34-38V, not always the same exact power supply voltage rating.

Which comes back to the main question: How likely is it that an emitter has failed, and can be simply replaced, in a situation like this?